Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Studies on Slick 50 (or others)??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
icon5.gif  Studies on Slick 50 (or others)?? Sat, 20 March 2004 11:27 Go to next message
I was just wondering if any of you know or had much experience with oil additives such as Slick 50 or Nulon (the ones that claim 80 000km protection. I put slick 50 in my 4age a few years ago and the engine doesn't seem to have deteriorated but I do oil change every 5k. Has anybody done any studies on these or have any info?, there seems to be some negative feedback about such companies in this business. Is it possible for the PTFE to coat the cylinder bores with a thin layer...?
Thanks

[Updated on: Sat, 20 March 2004 13:11]

Send a private message to this user    
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Studies on Slick 50 (or others)?? Sun, 21 March 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1996/07/slick.htm

Slick 50 = Lies
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Studies on Slick 50 (or others)?? Sun, 21 March 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those kinds of additives are a PITA if/when it comes engine rebuild time.

they coat everything with this bloody-hard-to-remove shite so you have to acid dip everything - which you don't want to do to alloy parts ;(

sure... use that crud to keep you 25yr-old cast-iron engined cortina using a bit less oil while you rebuild the 'rolla ...
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Studies on Slick 50 (or others)?? Sun, 21 March 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So they must do something? Are you talking about PTFE ones chuckster? Or are you talking about stop smoke wynns (thickening products)...
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Studies on Slick 50 (or others)?? Sun, 21 March 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know the nulon (PFTE) ones make rebuilding a tad difficult (first hand experience). But most of those additive do the same thing - leave a friction modifer coating on wearing surfaces.

it's also a great way to completely stuff up a band new engine - add nulon with the running-in oil and the rings never bed in or seal properly - it starts blowing smoke soon after and rings evntually fail from being gunged up in the ring-lands.

if you're worried about an older engine blowing smoke, go to a thicker oil (i used h/d diesel engine oil in my old RA23/18R to keep the fuked engine up with oil pressure). if you've got a performance engine and your changing oil every 5k then the benefit of the oil extenders ((e.g. nulon et al) isn't provided as they only really help in when the oil's old & rooted. Prior to that, all they do is quiet noisy tappets down (slightly) and mask the signs of engine degradation.

regarding rings- you want them to keep wearing against the bore, otherwise they glaze up (oil burnt onto wear surfaces) and they don't cut away crap on the bore so they don't seal correctly. If the honing marks on the bore are covered up wit hslick shit like telfon, the wear & sealing properties of the ring material are lost or not used.

If you really want to use additives, stick to wynns injector cleaner - it's also great fun if your most hated neighbors are having a bbq/family thing at the time of application so you can add some atmosphere (and foul smelling smoke) to their occaision. Wink
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Studies on Slick 50 (or others)?? Sun, 21 March 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks chuckster - that makes a lot of sense, never looked at it that way. Some people really believe in the stuff. You don't think that extra coating would be good for old cars that show signs of ring wear? Doesn't sound like you do Laughing
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Studies on Slick 50 (or others)?? Sun, 21 March 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is my understanding that Dupont, the makers of Teflon (tm) distance themselves significantly from any claims made by the 'additive companies'

it is also of note that if these treatments are so good, oil companies would include them in their formulas.

teflon in oil = not good...
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Studies on Slick 50 (or others)?? Sun, 21 March 2004 06:41 Go to previous message
HighRolla wrote on Sun, 21 March 2004 15:12

<snip>You don't think that extra coating would be good for old cars that show signs of ring wear? Doesn't sound like you do Laughing

LOL...

actually, i had to take the green car (RA23) off the road when it go so bad that an oil change was lasting about 1000k before it turned to black, sticky, revolting sludge... i don't think any additive would have helped ... Laughing

a mate at work had a big cleanout under his house and found drum of h/d oil he had bought for his old 'cruiser so he gave the whole drum to me in return for helping doing some gardening...

i think the minimising ring wear claim is deceptive - using the additives tends to mask excessive ring & bore wear - so by the time you notice it, the poor thing is so flogged out you can't rebuild without custom pistons...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Liberty GX 93 Bodykits
Next Topic:MR2 Air filters
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 18:58:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0035650730133057 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.