Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 01:59 Go to next message
Does anyone know the cheapest place to do a Sprinter drive in drive out 4ac-to-4age (bluetop/redtop) conversion in Melbourne?

I would attempt it myself, but I've got no garage space, or outside room.. (living so close to the city).

thanks in advance.
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheap = Dodgy
You get what you pay for

Better off doing it at a mates place, one that doesnt live too far away
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where are you in Melbourne?
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know someone who can do it. even has a 86kw setup ready to fit. he's in carrum downs.

can also do 20v setups

T
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much can he fit a bluetop in for .T.?

or how much is the bolt on kit?thanks in advance.

SeptempberSquallIndustries: I live in a cramped house in yarraville Sad..

[Updated on: Fri, 26 March 2004 05:47]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used to live in yarraville, does it still stink?

im debating where to do my engine conversion at the moment, but i have the luxury of a "daily driver" so it isnt urgent enough to think seriously about it.

the main thing you need really is an engine crane and a bit of space to do it in, preferably with a roof.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A garage like mine helps! I love my new garage!
(just moved house)
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, yarraville doesn't stink as much, but It's overran by arty farty wannabe yuppies..
I used to like it when yarraville villiage used to be a half run down lot of shops where no one would look at ya like a dickhead for being in trackies. oh wells,

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have that luxury of undercover work area with a crane.. Most of my repairs are done on the road in front of my place.

And I don't have a daily (other than my pushy).. Ideally, I want to find some garage that will drop the motor in and be finished within a few days...

I would let my usual trusted mechanic do it, but he wants up to 6k... he says if you wanna do it right, be prepared to spend that much.. hmmm..

[Updated on: Fri, 26 March 2004 07:05]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does that 6k included EVERYTHINK, ie, the new motor?
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's everything except for the motor, uncut loom, ecu, intake and exhaust manifolds...

6k was for the worst case scenario.
I don't doubt that he'll do a superb job, but I think it's a bit 'all-out' for a 4age conversion.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not spend a few more $$ on a 4agze instead, there is bugger all extra cost involved in putting it all in
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got nowere near 6 grand for a conversion.. Sad..
Just wanna do a simple bolt on bluetop conversion cause it's cheap (so I thought)..

Ive got like a little over a third budgeted for it..
Was gonna do the transplant myself.. but got no room, and don't have much confidence.

It'd be a good if someone could lend their garage and knowledge (and a hand)... I'll pay the person $$$ Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 26 March 2004 07:26]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shcao wrote on Fri, 26 March 2004 15:25

It'd be a good if someone could lend their garage and knowledge (and a hand)... I'll pay the person $$$ Smile

I'd say that is you only option
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I'm in Murrumbeena, you may be able to use my garage but how long did you expect this to take?

I guess there's plenty you could do before-hand, like fuel system (surge tank, pump mounting and laying power and loom wiring, etc. etc. then just come, pull the motor, drop your new one in, connect the loom and turn it over.

Let me know if you're interested.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 March 2004 10:56]

._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
our friend can do it for less than $6k - even if he supplied the motor!!!

message me if you are interested in getting a motor fitted please

T
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyospares 27 Edelmaier St Bayswater Vic Ph:97203177
They can put in any motor you like, but a 4ag should be wayyyyy
under 6 gorilas including Headers and exhaust.You can buy a sprinter with an ag for 6G if you shop around.Should even be able fit 20V or gze for less than 6.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's what I thought, 6k was waaaaay over my budget..

In all honesty, if you do it yourself (including the loom), I heard it'll be about 1.5-2k absolute tops.. I've heard of people buying the motor cheap and stuff, and being able to do it under 1..

realistically, I was only expecting about 3k
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Fri, 26 March 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6k is ridiculous for something which should be pretty much bolt in to everything you currently have
for comparison... i got quoted just over 6 for a 1jz gte auto in my
currently 1g geu soarer, drive in-drive out.. they supply everything.. that included 3 inch mandrel stainless exhaust too..
rob-ae86
Regular

November 2002
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Sat, 27 March 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im getting mine done for 3k including engine but thats in sydney
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Sat, 27 March 2004 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to toyospares in bayswater - Now. They did my T series engine swap 2t -> 2TGEU. And from what I gather the A series should also be a piece of piss. So give them a call, they know what they are talking about.
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Sat, 27 March 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh toyospares seem alright. there's a guy there that loves to talk and talk about sprinters etc Smile

they've quoted me 6k for drive in drive out for 4agze conversion which includes all parts supplied etc.

Also I think Grant got his jap spec 4age conversion done at "Just Toyota" ? for around 2g .. So far he's had noo problems at all with his engine. Maybe give him a pm, his nick may still be 'fooz'
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Sat, 27 March 2004 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sounds awesome!!

2g was what I was looking for.. but there could be reliability issues.. but we'll see...

thanks.
Though I am starting to give some serious thought into doing myself, cause I want a sense of accomplishment Smile
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: drive in drive out sprinter conversion in Melbourne. Sat, 27 March 2004 13:53 Go to previous message
Doing everything yourself, you're still looking at 2k minimum.
Parts alone would be 1500, it all adds up very quickly.
Thats just buying it and putting into the car. I'd change all the belts and the timing belt idler, water pump, clutch all while it's out of the car and on the ground.

Don't forget even with a stock 4AGE you will easily outrun yor brakes, so consider doing the brakes and suspension.

Building your own sprinter isn't cheap, but it's damn rewarding.

dodgydan

if i can swap engines, anyone can.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Suitable injectors for methanol
Next Topic:Turbo for 4agte (yes i know its been covered before)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 29 19:13:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053930282592773 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.