Toymods » General Car Talk » Aftermarket sources of replacement panels

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 07:35 Go to next message
Hi,

I own a TA22 and can't afford $650 a guard for new guards or $1200 a door for new doors for my car from Toyota.

My friend drives a Gemini (don't hold it against him) and picked up fibreglass replacement front quarters for $80 each. Works for him but I don't have an old Australian car so not much hope for me there.

Is there anyone else out there that does replacement panels (ie. guards, door skins) in either fibreglass or steel I should try?
  Send a private message to this user    
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this might be a really stupid comment, but have you tried all the nearby wreckers for the panels?
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might be able to help, Pick and Payless parts at Ingleburn have a wrecked TA22, it was white and the body looked in reasonable condition.
Address is 19 Aero Rd Ingleburn.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've considered that option but really, at $80 a panel for brand new (so perfectly straight, ready to paint and fit) panels, I'd prefer this to old sorta-straight panels from a wrecker which may for all I know turn out to be full of filler and no better than my current ones when I get them home!

[Updated on: Sat, 03 April 2004 10:04]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fiberglass panels are not necessarily lighter! In most cases especially with the TA22 guards they will be heavier!
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, fair call there, agreed.

Any ideas? Even replica stuff fabbed in steel is ok. I seem to remember that when I owned my Pulsar there was some ex-Korea stuff available for it, just had to trial fit it without unwrapping it as often it just didn't fit... =/
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When do you want guards?
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any time from now is good. Just finished my first home respray and have decided that knowing what I've now learned I can do better Rolling Eyes and one way to do better is use good panels rather than rely on my 'leet' panel beating/filling abilities to fix fukt ones!

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been saying this for ages now, but I will be making some glass guards in the future. Now that my car is nearly road ready, I will be pulling my finger out shortly and doing so.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anything you make up I'd be interested to hear about, and I'm serious, not tossing off. Thanks!
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id also be interested in some fibreglass gaurds and a bonnet if its possible to do them cheap. Are the gaurds legal to be made from fibreglass though.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perfectly legal for TA22's. No engineering needed at all Very Happy
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about on a ta23. When are you planning on doing it. Are you doing it yourself and do you expect and problems with it. I might just lay newspaper over my old gaurds and then a thin layer of fibreglass. Once that sets just layer the glass on the inside and it should be good i think.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Perfectly legal for TA22's. No engineering needed at all

Sorry, not sure if that's meant to sound sarcastic or not? Being an old cat the applicable ADR's may be more relaxed than if we were building a carbon-fibre R34 Skyline.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA23 is the same deal. Perfectly legal with no engineering. I wont be using cheap glass matting in mine which should bring the weight down a little as they will only need to be thin.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SeptemberSquallIndustries wrote on Sat, 03 April 2004 21:06

Quote:

Perfectly legal for TA22's. No engineering needed at all

Sorry, not sure if that's meant to sound sarcastic or not? Being an old cat the applicable ADR's may be more relaxed than if we were building a carbon-fibre R34 Skyline.

I'm for real. The guards on the old Celia's have no intrusion characteristics so aftermarket items don't have to meet any standards. This is good in one way but it also means any dummshit can try their hand at it.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

This is good in one way but it also means any dummshit can try their hand at it.

What, you mean like you're doing? Rolling Eyes Razz
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did a traineeship in fiberglassing yachts a few years ago.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sat, 03 April 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's all good, note Rolling Eyes Razz ~ feel free to make (sell) me fibreglass body parts anytime. Gotta be better than my bent fukt current ones.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sun, 04 April 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw a ta22 and t18 complete car in Deer Park weakers yesterday off the western hwy.
It has little/no rust plus its at the back of the wreakers where not many people go past.
I was getting parts of a ra60 down there where i saw the two car untouched.

I hope this helps
Cheers
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Sun, 04 April 2004 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people100 wrote on Sat, 03 April 2004 20:53

what about on a ta23. When are you planning on doing it. Are you doing it yourself and do you expect and problems with it. I might just lay newspaper over my old gaurds and then a thin layer of fibreglass. Once that sets just layer the glass on the inside and it should be good i think.

if thats your mould making process i think you may have to review it.
fibreglass resin sticks like shit to a blanket. you will have a hard time pulling off anything thats not oily.
you would have to wax the guard throughly first, mayb some pva to be sure, then lay up your glass.
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Wed, 07 April 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can get u most aftermarket panels for toyotas, starting fromt the ke30, and ra40 in celica! if n e one needs anything let me know
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Wed, 07 April 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I need some TA22 guards. What can ya do me?
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Wed, 07 April 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicas start at ra40's sorry
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Wed, 07 April 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, have you tried rare spares? a mate of mine got some new datsun ones for like 120$ each...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Wed, 07 April 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats ok. I'll be making some anyway.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Aftermarket sources of replacement panels Thu, 08 April 2004 11:23 Go to previous message
Any progress on this?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sprinter with MA60/61 supra rims and tyre question ??
Next Topic:Pressure testing intercooler & pipes...Where ???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 28 19:22:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058889389038086 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.