Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » uneven tire wear !!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
uneven tire wear !! Sun, 11 April 2004 11:32 Go to next message
I did a 240km trip and back this Saturday morning.
Was raining cats and dogs on and off during the trip.
Returned late nite and this Easter Sunday morning wanted to check the car and see if anything irregular i.e. leaks or scratches on the paintwork Very Happy etc.

My cress gx60 which still uses it's original steering system and a 1g-gte had the front tires wear on the edge of sidewall and contact patch area in its circumference..i suspect either air pressure..or worn out ball joints bushes..tie rods etc. this was more apparent on the right side..with the left side..not more than the usual wear from what looks like off toe or caster adjustment needed.

The rear how ever had a different picture...outer side of tire..had more wear than usual..both side..during my 150km average speed..i notice vibrations..and knocking noise from the axle,like a 'dong' when i would hit little potholes etc. Some freeplay in the pinion..and bushes are fairly good condition..shocks fairly stiff type hydraulics otherwise nothing unusual.. What could be causing this kinda wear in the rear tires.

cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: uneven tire wear !! Sun, 11 April 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wheel alignment?
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: uneven tire wear !! Mon, 12 April 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wheel alignment, tyre preassure, worn suspension components or a combinate of the 3.
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: uneven tire wear !! Mon, 12 April 2004 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi..pressure 28 bushes 4 months old..rear tyres with rigid axle..is there alignment for this ??

cheers
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: uneven tire wear !! Mon, 12 April 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the car naturally driving straight? For the rear end, maybe the top or lower arms are stuffed (particularly on one side) causing a different amount of rear castor on one side (other than the 4 link rear end bushes, and maybe sagged rear springs I can't think of much that effects a rigid axle) have a look at the arms I think.

Oh, one other thing, has it had a bad crash in its life? Maybe the rear axle is not sitting in the rear correctly (might be pointing off to the side?).

For the front end, with the wheel on the ground is there any side play in the tire's (grab hold of the top, and pull in, then push out, should be minimal play), if there is, might be wheels bearings (jack up the car and test) or ball joints etc. I'd get a wheel alignment on the front and see what the figures are...

Also I'd be running more pressure prbly around 32-34psi as well.

Cheers
Wilbo
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: uneven tire wear !! Tue, 13 April 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm notin the know about the cressida's front end set up, but it is possible that the extra load from the 1G-GTE could be altering the tyre contact patch being used. This probably won't happen if it's a double a-arm, mac-pherson strut or double wishbone set-up, but if it is single A arm etc etc then maybe this is possible.

Dunno, just a thought that came to mind.

Also, out-of-balance tyres/wheel can cause pretty bad vibrations.

28psi pressure is probably a bit low, but is probably not the issue in this case.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: uneven tire wear !! Tue, 13 April 2004 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McPherson struts in the front, 4 link + panhard rod in the rear.

Cheers
Wilbo
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: uneven tire wear !! Tue, 13 April 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok..macpherson struts..front yes. A bent panhard rod ?? worn bushes..changed. Tire pressure 32-34..front or all around ?
my fronts have 30 and rear 28-29 psi.

Like wilbo said..4link+p/rod in the rear.Spring fairly new..Sachs from a Volvo.(heavy duty)..the front is prolly due to the b/joints are worn..and alignment/balance issues...will
have to check the rears for balancing..Could a warped Tailshaft be a cause for vibes and wear ???

cheers
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: uneven tire wear !! Tue, 13 April 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have my tyres at 38-40, although it means that they tend to wear out the middle 3/4 before the edges. still less sidewall flex, better for going fast and less chance of the tyre rolling off the rim
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: uneven tire wear !! Wed, 14 April 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys, won't excessive tire pressure ; apart from centre wearing off more..cause the car to be 'unstable' especially in the rain..the tail might just swing out in a cornering.

cheers
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: uneven tire wear !! Wed, 14 April 2004 11:37 Go to previous message
hrm i doubt it will make alot of difference in the wet aslong as you still have plenty of tread. when going to the track they make you put your tires up to about 42psi+ cos its safer.

as the guy from there said "you dont need to worry about excessive tyre pressure, the rim will buckle before the tyre pops"

i prefer to have more pressure than your "standard" car because it gives you less roll when cornering, and its safer at high speeds, the less pressure the more the sidewall flex's as you drive, which generates more heat so your more likley to get a blowout ect. i havent noticed any difference in the wet, i mean most of the tyre is in contact with the road anyway, all having it flatter will do is wear the edges more.

edit: i cant spell Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 14 April 2004 11:38]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:DIM (did it myself): shift boot
Next Topic:URGENT!!!!! 1G-GTE vs 1G-GE crankshaft
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 18:05:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0083620548248291 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.