Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Are pod filters illegal?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Are pod filters illegal? Thu, 31 July 2003 03:22 Go to next message
I've heard that pod filters are illegal unless housed in a "filter box" - in which case you might as well just fit a panel filter.
Anyone know if this is true?
  Send a private message to this user    
MR2SUM
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Thu, 31 July 2003 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeha any alterations to inlet & exhaust is illegal unless engineered.

in some cars, panel filters are better that the pod filter set up
need_boost
Regular

July 2003

Re: Are pod filters illegal? Thu, 31 July 2003 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR2SUM wrote on Thu, 31 July 2003 13:43

Yeha any alterations to inlet & exhaust is illegal unless engineered.

in some cars, panel filters are better that the pod filter set up

extractors arent illegal... and they dont need to be engineered
SecaSX
Regular

April 2003
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Thu, 31 July 2003 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes its true - pod filters are illegal unless housed inside a filter box, just go and get a K&N panel filter ... less hassle.
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Thu, 31 July 2003 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
..less hassle, but what about performance difference?
SecaSX
Regular

April 2003
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Fri, 01 August 2003 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well performance wise ... an air filter change will not unlock an extra 100hp or something ... it will probably give u a slight gain top end and make your engine rev easier.

Pods will not get their full benefit unless you have a proper cold air induction system otherwise u'd just be sucking in hot air which would reduce any performance gain possible.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Are pod filters illegal? Fri, 01 August 2003 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To get a pod filter engineered you need an emmissions test and a noise (drive by) test. Mine is engineered and it is not in an enclosed box.

The ONLY reason to have it inside an enclosed box is so that it can't be seen - and defected. Its still illegal.

If you want specific answers, talk to an engineer. PM me if you want the phone number of mine (Phil Scott).
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Fri, 01 August 2003 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was told the reason you "need" to have it in a box (rta's reason) is that its a fire hazard

DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Sun, 11 April 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dunno if anyone will respond to this but how much does it cost you to get it engineerd?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Are pod filters illegal? Sun, 11 April 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would you not want to have it in a box anyway? Just sitting in the engine bay it will be sucking in hot air.
It would be better in a box with cool air directed into it.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Sun, 11 April 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that didn't really answer my question.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Are pod filters illegal? Sun, 11 April 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just use a standard panel one and run some CAI up into a hole in the box
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Are pod filters illegal? Sun, 11 April 2004 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DunkyMonkey wrote on Sun, 11 April 2004 21:37

that didn't really answer my question.

Ok ok, i'll bite.
The cost of engineering will come down to what you want engineered! What do you want engineered?
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Sun, 11 April 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Even if it was boxed, I still fail to see it performing better.

To me it would be like a plug hole in the sink. The water (air), just swirls around until it goes in the hole, while a panel is more or less straight through (like cutting the bottom off the sink and turning the water on), which gives it a greater direct area of contact.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Sun, 11 April 2004 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speakafreaka wrote on Fri, 01 August 2003 16:00

i was told the reason you "need" to have it in a box (rta's reason) is that its a fire hazard

Didnt you know, it may explode if its not in a box ... Laughing
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Sun, 11 April 2004 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Mon, 12 April 2004 00:10

speakafreaka wrote on Fri, 01 August 2003 16:00

Didnt you know, it may explode if its not in a box ... Laughing

Nah, you just gotta watch out for those EFI carbies. They'll backflash on you in a major way. Very Happy
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Mon, 12 April 2004 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oil soaked cloth = fire hazard! end of story!
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: Are pod filters illegal? Mon, 12 April 2004 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wellllll technicly the mr2's is in its own box...... im gathering you'd classify the boot as a box Wink
supraboy1977
Occasional Poster

February 2004

Re: Are pod filters illegal? Mon, 12 April 2004 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everything comes down to mood and attitude.

I was pulled over over the weekend and the cop looked under my bonnet. I have an apexi air pod and he didn't give a shit.
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Fri, 16 April 2004 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pod filters are legal according to ADR rules. And no, you don't need to get it engineered if a pod filter is added. However, the rules state that it must be a non-oiled type filter, the MAS must not be removed or modified in any way. It must also not be too loud with the intake sound. Tehy also do not need to be in their own box, people generally do this for cold air.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Fri, 16 April 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a question of too loud... does the cop need to send u away to get the sound tested ??? they cant just say " oh ur car is too loud.. DFEFECT" can they ?
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Fri, 16 April 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh they can...... i got defected because my exhaust was to loud.... he did not even test it and i also had an engineers certificate! damn cabramatta police suck!!!!!
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Fri, 16 April 2004 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did u try to contest him there and then ???????

what did he say ? ur eng cert must HAVE the exhausts volume in dBs ... so he cant say shii* !

cop pulled me over once at rbt and said i quote ....

"u SOUNDED like u were going very fast young man"

my response " i was going 60 all the way sir ... "

"well u SOUNDED really fast to me ... "

my response .. "prove it"

he shut up and gave my car the once over .. but found nothin wrong and said.. again i quote !!

"highway patrol will have a field day with u.... get lost"

pu55y hahaha
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Fri, 16 April 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YAY go the person that knows the ADR rules, now does anyone know where i can pick up a copy of the ADR's Very Happy
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Are pod filters illegal? Fri, 16 April 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ADR's can be had from the Transport Dept. But, in Queensland if your car came with an air box it MUST be fitted UNLESS you do a full noise emissions test.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Fri, 16 April 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IN MELBOURNE

POD FILTER IS IILEGAL ONLY IF ITS A OIL BASED ONE

IF ITS A DRY FILTER ELEMENT LIKE THE APEXI

ITS LEGAL

K&N IS IILEGAL AS THEY ARE OIL BASED
mitchy
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Fri, 16 April 2004 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Pod filters need to be boxed as an exposed filter "could be a fire hazard in the event of a backfire"

Any mod needs to be engineered atherwisw highway patrol will rape you.

Any engineering usually costs around 600 - 700...

Just going from experience with a 13b turbo conversion.

And the oiled and non oiled, doesnt matter. The rotary couldnt get a certificate with a dry hks filter and no box as it "could be a fire hazard in the event of a backfire"...

Just my two cents

Mitch

SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Sun, 18 April 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apollo wrote on Mon, 12 April 2004 00:13

Nah, you just gotta watch out for those EFI carbies. They'll backflash on you in a major way. Very Happy

Are you telling me there's something special about a pod-shaped filter that precludes its sue on a carburetted motor? Surely you're not...
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Are pod filters illegal? Sun, 18 April 2004 08:40 Go to previous message
I'm running a K&N Panel Filter in the stock air box with cold air induction... Sounds the goods and has heaps better flow...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What kind of AMP ?
Next Topic:toyota badging
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 19:50:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005836009979248 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.