Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Why is my car going through so much oil?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kirsty
Regular

December 2003
Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 16:12 Go to next message
My car seems to be using quite a bit of oil lately, keep having to put more in every few weeks why would that be? It runs alright and when i bought it we had it checked over thoroughly and everything was fine.
  Send a private message to this user    
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it a 4age? Very Happy

mine goes through 1-2L a week....
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check for leaks where you park it.
check for blue smoke on startup, check for blue smoke when the car is under load. That'll help us give you a more accurate diagnosis.... what engine, how many kms on the engine, and what type of oil are you running?
kirsty
Regular

December 2003
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its an AE92 corolla
kirsty
Regular

December 2003
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres no leaks at all
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh soit is a 4A motor Razz

they do go through moreoil then most motors... how much exactally are you going through...?
kirsty
Regular

December 2003
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
putting in 2 to 3 litres every coupla weeks
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i go through the same amount in my crappy excel Sad but then again my car gets driven pretty hard
kirsty
Regular

December 2003
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont know what oil im using draven (my dad gets it for me Confused
kirsty
Regular

December 2003
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont have any other problems with it apart from this. It runs great and is very reliable. Is this usual to go through so much oil for its age?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no
ask your dad what oil he's putting in it, and next time you start it hop out and see if there's any blue smoke coming out, and get a friend (or your dad) to rev the engine a little bit, and check for blue smoke
kirsty
Regular

December 2003
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks, and blue smoke means bad news yeah? I think hes putting in oil for older engines.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, blue smoke would be bad Smile
if it's burning oil for older cars (usually 20w60) then there's not much to be done
kirsty
Regular

December 2003
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im pretty sure theres no blue smoke. Its the first thing he usually checks as hes had a look and checked it out. Hope its nothing too serious. Love the car , dont wanna be spending big bucks on it though!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well there's only 2 ways it can be using oil ... burning it or leaking it Smile
kirsty
Regular

December 2003
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 16 April 2004 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well pretty sure theres no oil leak
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Sat, 17 April 2004 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so it must be burning it, and you may not even get any smoke when revving it. Try this tho..

Go for a drive and find a hill, once the car is warmed up pick a gear so that your coasting down the hill at a higher rpm OFF the throttle, say around 5500 rpm, just rolling down the hill...try 2nd gear..

anyway roll down the hill for a while, maybe get your dad to follow you. then when the car starts slowing down a bit, nail the throttle wide open.

If you get a massive puff of blue smoke out the exhaust.. thats apretty clear indication that you have one or two probs, your oil rings on the piston are worn AND/OR your valve stem seals are worn. This doesnt mean the engine willexpire tomorrow.. just that it isnt 100% healthy. you could probably expect a lot more life out of the motor yet.

if you get black smoke when you boot it, this is fairly normal as it is fuel smoke.

let us know what the verdic is
86er
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Sat, 17 April 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check all the seals, expically the valve cover gaskets.

-Andy.
ozdunker
Regular

May 2002
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Sat, 17 April 2004 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check the coolant!
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Sat, 17 April 2004 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

quite a bit of oil lately, keep having to put more in every few weeks

how many liters per mile, or quarts per kilometer, please

Quote:

putting in 2 to 3 litres every coupla weeks

ok, now how many kilometers and is that 3 liters at one time, like it was running on only 1 liter that didn't even register on the dipstick?
dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Sun, 18 April 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just do this:
1. get a compression test
2. On cold start when the car is started does it shoot out black smoke?
3. (Only at night) to check if ur car is blowing smoke while drive in front of another car jump on the gas... if smoking u will see the smoke in the behind cars lights)
4. If compression test is ok... only oil rings need to be changed.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Mon, 19 April 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't it if Compression test ok..only valve stem seals need changing?

You can, however have good compression but still have a bad oil control ring can't you? So I guess what I just said isn't really true..

Valve stem seals usually when they need repalcing - if you leave car overnight, or leave idling then take off, blue, black smoke appears.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 April 2004 03:16]

Looonie
Regular

April 2004

Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Mon, 19 April 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm having a similar problem with my 1G-GTE... I'm going through around a litre every week or two... now the car does puff blue smoke when I first start it, and if I get in it and drive it puffs more blue smoke, but as it warms up the blue smoke stops and it just dumps shitloads of brown/black smoke when I floor it (stupid factory ECU not handling no filter and 3" exhaust :\)

I'm guessing this means my valve stems are worn... any ideas anybody? Also how much of a job is this to repair? Worth doing or just buy another head and bolt it on or even better another engine? Is this going to cause any problems if I keep this engine and just wind up the boost and continue thrashing it other than putting oil in like petrol?

Smile
7MSupra
Regular

April 2004
    ?
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Mon, 19 April 2004 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got a similar problem also with my 7M-GTE. Though mine is leaking a bit and burning it also Sad . havent had anyone check it out yet but when i got my clutch done my mate suggested that it was the valve stem seals that were gone because blue smoke was commin out the exhaust when it was on idle for about 5-10 min.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Tue, 20 April 2004 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fixing valve stem seals is a fairly easy job, most mechanics should be able to do it with the head on the car, so it's not the most expensive job on the planet. Fixing compression rings is probably alot more expensive as the mechanic will have to either take the head off, and pop the pistons out the top, or take the crank out and pull the pistons out the bottom - also the cylinder bores will need honing with new compression rings, and you have to go through the trickery that is 'running in your engine'.
kirsty
Regular

December 2003
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Thu, 03 June 2004 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I broke down on the weekend had to have a new distributor put in.Got them to do a compression test and its bad news Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad
So upset
It was supposed to have had a compression test done to check it out before i bought it, and they told me compression was fine! Im wondering now if they even bothered to check the compression at all!
kirsty
Regular

December 2003
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Thu, 03 June 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What should the compression be anyway?
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Thu, 03 June 2004 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure what engine you have in your ae92, but basically you want the 4 numbers to be as close together as possible.
kirsty
Regular

December 2003
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Thu, 03 June 2004 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They arent Crying or Very Sad
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Fri, 04 June 2004 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what are the numbers?

just hope its not a blown head gasket
although it could be worse than a BHG...but still
kirsty
Regular

December 2003
Re: Why is my car going through so much oil? Sat, 05 June 2004 14:44 Go to previous message
Numbers are 120 and the other 3 are around 150 there isnt it supposed to be around 170?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ACID day =(
Next Topic:engine chokes on throttle (with video)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 23:08:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005155086517334 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.