Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Toymods Membership & Feedback » My thoughts on the Toymods Forum!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sat, 17 April 2004 05:57 Go to next message
OK, So I've been hacking (ie: frollicking, not the causing internet damage type of hacking) around the website lately, reading alot of bitchy comments, old comments, inappropriate comments, post whoring comments, and obviously newbie comments who haven't been educated in the search function, or refuse to do so, ..., so I thought I'd air my thoughts and comments publicly.

Tech and Conversions: Generally good info, where respectable questions are answered well. The continual newbie questions that are repetitious, while I don't think has drastically increased over time, is certainly kept in the limelight with inappropriate comments made by forum goers. I think these questions will always be a "problem" with the remedy simply being a thread lock, and a request to the author to use the search function - the greatest way to learn is to do something, and simply feeding the infomation to someone, I feel will only result in more questions like this. Threads that become so big that they require several pages are also a problem I feel - trying to find the accurate useful infomation is time consuming and often contradicted within the thread. I'd propose any thread longer than two pages, be offered a thread lock with the author encouraged to start a new thread containing a summary, and a link to the old thread.

Cruises and Events: not residing in NSW, I don't follow this section much as it predominance is with that state. I'd suggest it could be better utilised if redirected to the State Cruises and Events, in it's own NSW section?

General Car Talk: No real problems as far as I can see, aside from threads created there, that belong elsewhere!

The Outhouse: I love the Net Nazi! Lots of crap in here, amongst some generally interesting and funny threads. Can we please ban posts that simply use an emoticon as a reply?!? Does anyone also have the ability to deleta locked threads after a certain time frame (ie, a week) - I don't need to read that crap?

War Stories and Track Talk: I generally don't hang out here - I'm not interested in red light drags on public roads, I can do without the cops thinking I'm a snot nosed punk! I'd be more interested in the track talk if I didn't have to wade through the drift king wannabe, bracket holeshot, my standard car's just so fast, crap?

Members Rides: I'm still yet to work out how to host pictures, so untill then I'll remain silent here!

Cars For Sale And Wanted: I think a time limit could be enforced for this section. Old car ads that are dragged up by people not reading the dates, is irritating.

Parts for Sale: Where do I start? Easily the area that most annoys me about Toymods. Definately needs a time limit, I'd suggest 4-5 months, as old ads are constantly dragged up, and relisted. I also feel a newbie ban should be enforced here, either to a time limit or post count. If enforced to a post count of say 30 posts, permission to post here should only be granted, after those 30 posts are briefly reviewed for post whoring - if the tally is found to be non informative, post dribble, increase their post minimum to 100 posts, and so on. I see alot of new people coming on listing things erronously, and never reappearing - this isn't right for the Toymods forum, and I feel needs attention. I'm sure some of our trusted forum members would support this too, right GT?! ( http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=33185&start=0&rid=1781&S=655352c88c2 c295a1d22d23b7b6df2a2 ).

Parts Wanted: No limits to posting here, though a time limit on threads would be absolute delight!!! I'm sick of seeing threads 2 years old, dragged up.

Interstate Cruises and Events: Would love to see a NSW section here. I also feel question that relate to other areas of the toymods forum, but specific to that state, should remain here.

OK, there you have it - my dribble for Saturday afternoon. Talk amongst yourselves, lets see what everyone else thinks?!

[Updated on: Sat, 17 April 2004 05:57]

Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sat, 17 April 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a snippet from another post of mine today:

Quote:

I have an idea where only the Tech section would be open to anyone and the rest should be available to official Toymods members only.

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sat, 17 April 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since the other thread was deleted i'll post this again.

Quote:

I dont really know what this post is going to make of myself or weather it will make sense at all but i'll have a go.
I joined the old forum a fair while ago when all/most of the older members were still around and everything was going smoothly, but unfortunately I never went to any official Toymods events to personally know the older guys.
When I first got the bug to modify my TA22 I was asking lots of questions on the forum and I always got a reply from these older members saying something along the lines of "this has been discussed before, do a search". This never hurt my feelings or caused me any distress, I simply just went and searched and found the info I was after. These days if someone is told to do a search they get totally offended and start a bitch fighting match until the thread is deleted.
I think this is caused by the newer/younger generation(read kids) that want to do up their cars to look and go "fully sik". These kids have no respect for anyone but themselves and they dont not want to do anything for them selves. This is the biggest cause of all the shit that happens on here.
I guess this brings me to my point. I have seen some of the older guys get pissed of with these kids and have arguments with them, the first argument is ok, the second is boring and the third shits you to tears. I have noticed(a long time ago) that the older knowledgeable people were appearing here less and less, but I just didnt think much of it until the day Allan posted a thread saying he will not be back. I thought to myself back then, what will happen if all these "oldies" leave. I dont think any outcome would be a good thing.
Now I see that Tracton_Issues has been banned, WTF is the go with this?? Banning an old time member is just totally fucked up. Something has got to be done about this!
Also I dont know who the net nazi is but something has got to be done about him. Going into a thread and having the last say in an argument and then locking the thread is a lame cowardly thing to do. If the thread needs to be locked then so be it, but if something needs to be said do it in a PM.
Something really needs to be done about these forums before they hit an all time low.
I have an idea where only the Tech section would be open to anyone and the rest should be available to official Toymods members. Hell I wouldnt mind becoming a member. The only reason why I havent already is because I havent had anything to gain from it.
I dont know what other people think of my idea or even if its possible, its just an idea.

Anyway thats all for now. I hope this made some kind of sense as all the above was just lots of little thoughts from the back of my head.
4DaDrift, if you like I can edit this post and start another thread.

Oh and welcome back Allan, I hope you stick around.
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sat, 17 April 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only thing about limiting the forum to members only is that you would have to allow memberships from other states. Due to the fact the club resides in a different state I have no use with joining. If it went ahead and limited the forum I would quite happily join the club just to get access to the forum (and the cool stickers Smile )

But that would also limit the buy/selling in this forum which would also cause a problem because the majority of parts/cars moving through this forum are probably not being sold by members.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sat, 17 April 2004 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont think people would mind paying membership fees for the valuebale information on these forums. Granted that people havent become member because they are interstate and they would have nothing to gain, but if the forums were for members only they would then have lots to gain.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sat, 17 April 2004 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I get a bit annoyed hearing that interstate people have nothing to gain. You said it yourself shane, you learnt heaps about doing up your TA22 searching & asking questions on the forums, isn't all this knowledge worth the $40 it was for so long (but is now $50)?
The simple fact is, the forums wouldn't exist without Toymods & Toymods wouldn't exist without financial members.

I also think not being able to afford it is a cop out, for $40 Toymods was making a loss when ever anyone joined, & the $10 increase only just covers recent insurance hikes.

Hell, we just recently had our first international financial member join, who lives in Canada!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sat, 17 April 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do half agree with you Joel, but the fact is that why would anyone pay for something they can get for free anyway? I know this is a scabby way to look at things, but its the human way. If the forums were for paying members only, I would be the first to become one no doubt about it.
Once my car is actually on the road, I will probably become a member anyway just so that I get a shirt and a sticker to show off to everyone.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sun, 18 April 2004 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about restricting guests to some areas, perhaps buy/sell and view only, and have an online membership fee, funds used only for maintaining the website. Possibly allowing online memberships only outside NSW.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sun, 18 April 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no problems with becoming a member of Toymods even though I live in Perth, in fact I downloaded and filled out the application form the other day. For the sake of $50, it doesn't concern me. I'm also happy to donate to the "I Supported Toymods" Fund, when I see the thread containing such donation infomation updated and people credited as such. I do like clubagreenie's idea of restricting access to non members to certain areas of the website, I'd propose "The Outhouse" be one of the first areas to receive such a condition?!

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sun, 18 April 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think only the Tech section should be open to everyone and everything else should be for members only.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sun, 18 April 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to limit others from using a public site is a form of discrimination as not everyone is financial enough to afford memebership ( if i was i would be ) and i feel that al it will do is limit the future growth of the club
maybe something along the lines of only 20 posts for non members
unlimited posts for forums memebers that pay a modest fee ($5 perhaps) and full memebership with full benefits ?
what opinons we have to that suggestion ?
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Mon, 19 April 2004 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can't afford $50 for a membership, how can you afford to play with/modify cars?
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Mon, 19 April 2004 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
priortisation
ive put what money i have into an essential item rather than a luxury
Cressida Chick
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Mon, 19 April 2004 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey everyone,
being new to the forums I have read qiute a bit and my understanding is that alot of people come here on the forum like what they see then decide it's a cool club to join and nice and friendly... so they join...
a trial free period would be good, say a couple of weeks, then they need to register...
this happens quite a bit on other sites....
anyway thanks for my say.......
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Tue, 20 April 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about a once only or yearly forums only membership, after say a 1 month trial period? other wise it's view only, or limited to tech and conversions (and maybe) classifieds.

This however may deter some people that often frequent the forums
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Tue, 20 April 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigWorm wrote on Mon, 19 April 2004 22:54

If you can't afford $50 for a membership, how can you afford to play with/modify cars?

Have to agree with BigWorm on this question? Ten years ago $50 was a big deal, it isn't today, and I feel if you can't forgo a night of drinking, a trip to the footy, or a bit of sound system for a week, then there's something wrong with a person's priorities.

As the talk of mebership and "pay for priveledge" hots up here, may I suggest either of the following:

A one off forum/membership fee: as mentioned below, a small fee offered in good gesture to the forum providers, either as a once off offer, or yearly. $5-10 per person I feel is approachable.

A reduced membership fee for interstate members: offering club membership but with reduced incentives due to it's lower offer, ie, no shirt, or no newletter, ...

Full memebership that payed once will give the person with eternal forum posting privledges, regardless if they are currently a financial member or not.

Free membership to the forums: but with restrictions on that person till the y reach a post count number or time limit?

Clint
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Tue, 20 April 2004 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like your ideas Clint

Edit: but whatever, I feel that you know efforts should be made in that case to ensure that new visitors feel welcome. This can be easily communicated while still asking for a small memebership fee to indicate a sincerity within the club.

Funny, but sometimes asking for a small amount of money is good thing.. can I say that? Smile

Like, if I don't charge enough for my web develoment services, then people think I am cheapo and don't take me seriously when in reality I have a lot of experience and do a good job. Perhaps the same here. The passage of privilige, whatever it is, must align with expectations and medium realities. But if perhaps the notion of posting here as a privilige not a right can be changed somehow that would be good

hope that made some sense..

btw I don't think that a "post count" descriminator would work, that would just encourage newbies to post junk till their numbers were up

[Updated on: Tue, 20 April 2004 03:07]

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Tue, 20 April 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I agree a post count descriminator would result in some new forum goers simply posting junk to forfill the requirements, and for that reason, if implenented, I would recommend all new members reaching the limit have their count screened for post whoring - if they are deemed to have done so, their limit is increased to 100 posts, if they continue to carry on in that fashion, they can again have their limit increased, or be banned before becoming a problem. Lets face it, 30ish posts can easily be acheived within a week, be they constructive or otherwise on this forum, and it will give the regular forum goers an idea of the new member's motives and experience in automotive dealings.

My biggest request is a time or page limit on the "Cars and Parts For Sale and Wanted" sections - I feel the old ads that are no longer relavent are an incredible waste of space and time when brought back up. a limit of, for example, 4-5 months or 15-20 pages, I feel would greatly improve these areas?!

Clint
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Tue, 20 April 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like some of the ideas here, they have merit and I think the Toymods board should give them consideration.

The only thing i would like to say, please take it constructively. Is that who will administer some of these things. Such setting the right up on the users etc after taking a small 'forum only fee' or the like?

The reason I say this is that the response time of some board members just to emails is quite lacklustre so there might not be enough man power to go around in admininstration.

Cheers
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Wed, 21 April 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are a few ideas here that have merit, and me personally i would definitely consider implementation of some of these procedures if it was easily applied.

I think the board needs to look closely at these suggestions, and think whether this is going to benefit the club, its financial members, and the Toyota community in general - in that order. Its a bit of a catch 22 situation here, and a lot of these suggestions and ideas do require a large amount of administrative power to be implemented so i dont know how far any of this will go.

We all know the board does their job in their own spare time, and they do it bloody well with what they have in my opinion (having served on the board last year myself).

What i like is this:

• A small donation fee of like $10, which grants you access to the rest of the forums for something like 1-2 years
  • Becoming a financial member gets you lifetime access to the forums. I dont see the need for concessions for interstate people - like joel said, we have a Canadian member!

Otherwise im liking the way that the forums are going. There will always be the "toolage factor" involved in the tech section, and the forums in general - its just the way the internet and society is heading these days. Personally i agree with the ignoring method, ie ignore them at it will go away.

I still think a new website is in order. Rob, have you thought about using those wonderful web development skills to help out your car club which is in dire need?

ANyway, things are definitely going better than what they have done in previous times. The odd little bitch and whinge here and there is just due to a few dickheads trying to ruin it for everyone and getting their feet stepped on by those in control.

Thats my thoughts....
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sun, 25 April 2004 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Witzl,

I would be interested to hear the boards comments on the points in this thread too please?

Clint
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sun, 25 April 2004 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if i can add my thought in Smile

paying a donation to use the forum mainly the tech info woudn't bother me but if someone surfs onto this website and see they have to pay to ask a question, you ain't gonna get them comming back so soon.

As with the newbies coming in posting a question like what mods and engine conversions can i do to my car.
I wouldn't mind seeing a section dedicated with hard facts and details on what engines can go into what cars and what mods can go onto a engine. There is a page that shows this

ST141 (???) - 4A-GZE, 18R-GEU, 3T-GTE, 1G-GTE, 7M-GTE, 2JZ-GTE, 3S-GTE

this isn't detailed one bit, i say but if you had the details and newbies would see that, you ain't gonna have them posting 10 threads a day asking about the same thing you just answered the day before.

Same with technical articles, at the top of the tech part there is a faq which had things like "FAQ:: W5x Gearbox Information
Tech info, gear ratios, determining which box is which, repairs."
The fact of having something like that is good but it just has a list of threads that brought up the topic, not simple detailed facts.

As with the "parts for sale" and that, there should be like a 1 month limit on them and then they get deleted.

Also you could add a "funny/stupid" section since people use the outhouse for that. But if it's there, their gonna stop putting stupid comments in the other sections.

p.s if you need help with your website i can help with html,asp,database stuff but not php which it looks like most of it is.

Sorry for the long post but had to include myself Smile
5.45am maybe i should go to bed Confused

[Updated on: Sun, 25 April 2004 21:47]

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Mon, 26 April 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd have no problem paying a small fee for seeing the site, but as jackel said, ppl who r newbies will just see the $10 and keep going, maybe have a 50 free first posts and then u have to pay.

i think it was performance forums that said theat u have to be a member for 2 months b4 u can post in the for sale section, this would be a good way to stop the inevitable pointless postwhoring if the post limit was to be implemented.
Camboy
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Wed, 28 April 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont think the current forum will support a (automated) subscription system, in fact I cant think of any *free* forum-only software that will do it.

The problem with charging for access is administration. There is also the expectation fof service availability when you pay for it.

Some of the ideas I have seen pop-up here (and elsewhere) is:

- Basic (read-only) access should be free.
- The classifieds section should be subscription only.

Many forums which move to a subscription only model also implement a sponsorship system where a new member does not have 'full' access until an existing member sponsors or verifies them.

- Keep the fees low.
- Toymods financial members should get free access as part of their membership fee.

There are 5312 users on this forum currently, if only 10% of these pay $1 per month over $500 will flow into Toymods per month, which I am sure the board will put to good use.

Keep in mind that someone, somewhere is paying for these forums. If you find them useful send some money Toymod's way.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Thu, 29 April 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I still think a new website is in order. Rob, have you thought about using those wonderful web development skills to help out your car club which is in dire need?

Karl, yes I have thought about this, and remained quiet till this point because of my rather ridiculous level of busy-ness (sp hmm)

That said, I think perhaps we could begin to think down these lines and slot some stuff in for later in the year...
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Fri, 30 April 2004 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camboy wrote on Wed, 28 April 2004 15:06

Keep in mind that someone, somewhere is paying for these forums. If you find them useful send some money Toymod's way.

MMM that someone might be me Shocked

Some of the ideas floated are not all that practical, but most deserve to be discussed by the board at the next board meeting, which I will see to.

I have my own personal thoughts, which I'll keep to myself Wink It comes down to what is the purpose of the forums? Obviously promoting the club is part of it, but there are also more charitable goals such as fostering a community of Toyota enthusiasts, so each of these has to be weighed up, it's no good implementing one idea which will sacrifice the other. However the long term survivability of the forums must also be considered, as well as quality over sheer quantity (btw, the forums alone are pumping out around 40GB of data per month).

I'll report back here progress made in any of these areas.

sam.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Mon, 03 May 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Guys,

Well I've been around here a bit over a year and a half now. I started here looking into modifying the famliys SV01! I knew nothing at all about cars, or Toyotas.

Now, well I dont claim to be a genious and able to do an engine conversion in 1 hour myself, but I feel I know alot more about cars than when I started, and in that time I've bought a TA23 and a SW20.

I only just became a financial member(sent all the appropriate forms off about 2 weeks ago). Reason being, I do a fair bit of work on the web(webpages, hosting etc...) and working in IT I know that websites, and particularly popular ones(ie. toymods...) are not cheap to maintain as you not only pay for webpspace, but bandwith..and 40GB...sheesh. So I feel becoming a member is important if you've learned or benefited from this website.

Now comes the tricky part, I dont feel we should charge for access to this website, if I'd seen a "Free 1 Week Trial" sign when I first came here I would never have bothered looking in the first place. I feel we would loose many of the people that use(or might use) this forum. Again I know forums like this cost money to upkeep, I suppose if I knew how much this was costing, and was Toymods loosing money it might make the decision making easier.

Who knows? I've had my rant....

Nath
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Tue, 11 May 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only just found this thread and since I'm at work, I can't really read everything here. Will later though.

For now, I'll say that (as Sam stated). Part of the reason for these forums is to foster a community and restricting access is not the way to go if we want the community to thrive.

But I do like this idea:
CLG wrote on Tue, 20 April 2004 12:21

A reduced membership fee for interstate members: offering club membership but with reduced incentives due to it's lower offer, ie, no shirt, or no newletter, ...

If we could somehow structure it so that interstate members don't fall under our insurance, then the membership fee would drop to bugger-all.
Worth considering. If it's at all possible.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Wed, 18 August 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curious to know if these ideas were ever looked into? anyone from the board care to respond?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Thu, 19 August 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clint,

There are a large number of things which the TOymods board is looking into at the moment, and the structure of our website and forums is one of them - predominantly our website.

Please remember that we are just a bunch of volunteers who give our spare time to the club, in efforts to benefit our club and it's members. Our main goal in our efforts is to better our club to the benefit of our financial memebers, and this is where we concentrate most of our efforts.

We have taken such suggestions into consideration, repeatedly over the past couple of years, and have made changes and ammendments where we deemed them necessary or beneficial to our financial members.

Realistically though, there are too many other things we are concentrating our efforts on to get to involved in a massive forums upgrade. We have the website (our main goal on the internet front), the new show'n'shine we are promoting, our regular events, Dyno Days, cruises, merchandise, fund raisers etc etc that is taking our time away from focusing on this too much. We might bring this up next board meeting though and have a little discussion about it.

Regards,
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sun, 22 August 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
after reading this i agree with CLG, i am not currently a financial member but WILL be next round for sure. the amount of info i get from here is worth money, engineers charge hundreds for some of this info so i cant see why toymods cant take a few dollars to make this place even better... as for newcomers for me i read so many posts and threads before joining the site and read bout the search but if when joining you could have like a welcome screen and a note stating to PLEASE TRY SEARCH BEFORE POSTING with a few hints and tips when searching

THE WITZL: now i understand that the majority of issues is all handled by the board but have you guys considered delegating some stuff to financial members. as an example with this site if the person handling the site is a board member and doesnt have time to update it, make necessary mods to fix things up, etc then get a financial member that knows php scripting to help out/volunteer

now i know that what CLG has put forward is alot of work in the sites perspective, being in computers for a living i know its not a matter of simply adding a screen to make things different but a whole heap of site changes need to be made BUT if you guys would consider passing the buck to some financial members to help out aswell with final decisions made by the board on improvements acertained, ie, if a financial member makes some mods to the forums to make it better as directed by the board, it gets looked over by the board for final approval before being rolled out could make the frum better and reduce some of the enormous work you board members do for us

as for outer staters (non NSW) couldnt the board discuss having a financial member(s) from each state to organise events under the toymods name (represent toymods community) with the same rules, regulations and prizes as we have here and therefore it would be beneficial for outer staters to be financial members, they can be added to the dyno day results for that state and then have a state comp where the top 5 of each state compete together or something like that. aswell as other events where we dont need to be together. obcviously we cant have a 1/4mile show down between states without meeting up but dyno days, show and shines etc is all plausible

that way the outer staters cant complain too much...

thats my 2c worth, but anyone got change for 5c Very Happy
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sun, 22 August 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,

I was just going to post a similar post to CLGs and was pleased to see that it has already been said Smiley =

Although I may not be the best around cars (as anyone who has read my posts or talked to me might know), but I am quite good with programming. Currently an XML and Java programmer, I did throw my hand at php for a few years (still my favourite scripting language).

If you're willing to let me donate a little time for the greater good (not that I can really afford time, would love to start butchering my aw11), I reckon I could make a couple of quick changes to the "FUDforum 2.3.8" code to implement CLGs suggestions.

This is just a suggestion, and I should probably bring this up at a meeting, even attend a meeting would be a good start for me Smiley =, but I just thought I'd offer my services.

Cheers,
Dave
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Sun, 22 August 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fade-e.

Number one problem with interstate events - we are not covered by insurance outside of NSW, and are only incorporated in NSW. Hence we can't really go out of NSW without some bigtime hooha, hence the main reason the interstate thing hasnt happened.

davedave.

Thanks for the offer mate, im sure the board will look at that properly soon enough. For now like i said there are more important issues to the club at the present time.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, they will be looked at again soon.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Mon, 23 August 2004 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Sun, 22 August 2004 13:27

as an example with this site if the person handling the site is a board member and doesnt have time to update it, make necessary mods to fix things up, etc then get a financial member that knows php scripting to help out/volunteer

Great suggestion!
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Wed, 17 November 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to drag it up again, but it is relavent - may we please have a thread lock on old unrelavent threads?
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: My thoughts on the Toymods Forum! Fri, 19 November 2004 23:27 Go to previous message
The offer of my assisstance still stands
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Dyno day 10 Q
Next Topic:Copying and pasting toymods links?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 5 02:36:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065739154815674 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.