Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
4agze throttle body Sat, 31 August 2002 05:24 Go to next message
could some one please send me some pics to evosti@nofunatall.comof a 4agze throttle body? preferably a couple from different angles. see my problem is my car wont idle, you have to hold the revs to above 2500 or it dies in the ass. the car has a haltech e6a and has been in a crash but there appears to be no evidence of engine damage. the reason i want a pic of the throttle body is there is a metal plate bolted on the side which is definately not standard, looks like something has been removed. the previous owner mentions hooking up an idle speed motor (which he gave me) but then what happens with the TPS? i cant hook it up anyhow i got no idea.
any help would be appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze throttle body Sat, 31 August 2002 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a GZE throttle body here, but no camera sorry Cry

Does this problem occur with the motor hot and cold? is this the first time you've run it since the crash?

Phil
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 4agze throttle body Sun, 01 September 2002 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well ive never really ran it for too long, cause i didnt have a fuel filter Eye Spin but now i do. when i first start it, need to rev it to around 3K, but after a couple of minutes you can let it go down to 2K without it dying but it does at anything less.
any ideas? anyone else have a pic? someones gotta have a pic! its a map sensored version if thats any help.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze throttle body Sun, 01 September 2002 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate, if you cant hold it at idle speed even with the throttle, then this doesnt sound like a throttle body problem, but i dont want to assume anything until you tell me if you've ever had it running properly (ie: Idling) since putting the motor in the car with the Haltech computer. What makes you think it is the TB?

what sort of idle air control unit did the guy give you? is it a haltech one? do you have a laptop, and can you use the haltech software?
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4agze throttle body Sun, 01 September 2002 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got one in the shed, and a digital camera too.

I'll snap some foto's and send to yer on the morrow.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 4agze throttle body Mon, 02 September 2002 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you very much for the pics, your a great help Smile
sorry if this is long but here goes...
the reason i think its something to do with the throttle body is mine has a plate boltted on where something should be, which in the pics i received there is suposed to be some metal thing with two hoses on it and a white plastic thing ontop of that which i presume is the idle speed motor. i have not had the car running as i bought it smashed from a guy on toymods but i cant ask him questions about it cause hes over seas. he gave me an idle speed motor and a template so that the idle can be controled by the computer (so he said) and there was also a haltech thingo in the box of spares i got which i supose is a computer add on needed to control it. i do have a really old laptop, but im not much good with tuning car computers (im NO good ive never tried) and i dont think i could hook it up myself. and also the motor is half out now cause i was taking it out to get ready for when i get a new sprinter to put it into.
ill atatch a photo of my engine so you can see whats missing, if you can see it in the pic. its on the left of the throttle.
ok so i wont cause i cant attatch the photo.
maybe im just gonna have to ask for help again when i get the motor in the new sprinter (when i get it) and hopefully someone knows how to hook it up Neutral
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze throttle body Mon, 02 September 2002 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I really cant see how not having the idle air motor connected could stop the car from running under 2500rpm. Its only a glorified air bypass valve, regulating air to flow around the throttle butterfly to control how much reaches the engine, and therefore idle speed.

The only thing that could go wrong is if you had too much or too little air bypassing. if you had too much, obviously it would idle fast. If you had too little, it would stall, but you could hold idle speed (~1000rpm) by lightly holding the throttle.

If you cant hold it at low rpm with the throttle, then i would suggest that it is tuned too lean at that rev range, with the haltech there is a separate fuel map for every 500rpm, so it seems in your case that the maps under 2500rpm are all too lean, causing it to stall.

Are you running the same base fuel pressure as the last owner? Have you removed or moved the throttle position sensor? If so, it needs to be re-calibrated with the laptop. Basically what i am getting at is has ANYTHING changed since he pulled the motor out of the car? Are all the parts on the engine as they were previously????

Sorry for the long post, i'm just trying to help (from a distance) with what you have described.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 4agze throttle body Mon, 02 September 2002 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know its near impossible for anyone to give me a solid answer just by what im saying, so thanks for your help:)
i havent touched anything since i got the car, basically we drove it onto the trailer, then off the trailer and into my garage with no fuel filter or air filter. since then i fitted a fuel filter and chucked the busted K&N on just to start it. people told me not to start taking the motor out till i got the engine sorted out but im impatient, and i figured it was something to do wit the idle motor or the computer. i think im just gonna have to pay someone to install it for me once the conversion is completed, cause i dont even have the wiring for the idle motor let alone know how to hook it up. and the sad thing is im a first year apprentice mechanic Eye Spin but gimme a break i work at a dealership hehehe Sleep
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

icon7.gif  Re: 4agze throttle body Mon, 02 September 2002 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak one way to keep it running without the cold idle up/warm idle down, is to adjust the throttle stop so the butterfly is open a bit, so it acts like the air bypass. you can actually use it to adjust you idle up or down. i've seen a guy do this, cause his aftermaket computer couldnt work the factory idle up/down. so he took it off and put a plate over it, and used the throttle butterfly as the air bypass/idle up or down.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze throttle body Mon, 02 September 2002 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best of luck with it then. Have fun in the new sprinter! Let us know how it all goes.

Cheers

Phil
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 4agze throttle body Tue, 03 September 2002 07:12 Go to previous message
someone at work mentioned something about the throttle stop, i am yet to try this. thanks guys for the help, ill let you know how it goes when i find a sprinter to put the gear into Smile
i have no doubt i will be needing everyonees expertise again Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Why does No. 4 spark plug keep fouling?
Next Topic:Locker or LSD for drifting
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 05:45:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0039608478546143 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.