Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Anyone been to Bali?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Anyone been to Bali? Wed, 21 April 2004 23:27 Go to next message
Well, Jess & I are going to Bali for a couple of weeks in July.. Just wondering if anyone's been there before and would have any tips for rookie travellers?

ie. Good places to go/things to see?

Places to avoid?

Any suggestions appreciated Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone been to Bali? Wed, 21 April 2004 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Went there about 7 years ago with my wife. I would recommend staying in Kuta/Legian only for as long as your package dictates - you will be harrassed incessantly by people trying to flog you watches, dodgy perfume/aftershave, manicures and massages. However, if you're into partying with heaps of Aussies, cheap drinks and food, and a great night life, it's definitely the place for you. That said I have no idea what it is like since October 2002.

We shot straight off to Ubud. It was much quieter and cooler as it is up in the mountains. It's also a good place to launch daytrips from.

The highlight of the trip (for me) was climbing a volcano (Gunung Batur) at 3 am and watching the sunrise from the top.

Pre Bali bombing, I would have suggested catching the ferry across to Lombok, but there have been a few security issues with Westerners going to a predominantly Muslim island. When we went there, it was pretty untouched and free of the continuous pestering you got in Bali.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Anyone been to Bali? Thu, 22 April 2004 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, we're booking 5 nights in Kuta and 5 in Ubud. Hoping to get a mix of the westernised touristy stuff and the quiet relaxed stuff.

Quote:

The highlight of the trip (for me) was climbing a volcano (Gunung Batur) at 3 am and watching the sunrise from the top.

That sounds AWESOME. I think this trip will definitely be setting a new record for the most photos I've ever taken in a two week period. Very Happy
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone been to Bali? Thu, 22 April 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you probably already know this but hey its still a tip

*never carry to much money around with you , keep it in the safe at the hotel

*same with ya passport, australia guy there had is passport stolen, couldnt get outta the country, had to saty an extra 4 weeks while his new one was processed

*never pay the asking process only settle for half price or less

*dont bring BB guns back on ya carry on luggage!! DONT FORGET THIS ONE Razz
*have a good time

a story to finish it off, mate of mine was walking down the street, some bloke was trying to log off watches, mate wasnt interested. followed him across the road and BANG the dude got nailed by a cement truck, killed instantly!!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Volcano trip Thu, 22 April 2004 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We did it over 2 days. We left Ubud, had lunch at a restaurant in Penelokan (it sits right on top of the crater and the views are awesome) and then caught a bus into Toya Bungah (spelling, name, it's been a while). It's a shitty little lakeside village with very little to do there - you can take a swim in the lake. We did a bit of a rekky to see where the path was but there was a little info booth and the guides are there if you want them to take you up. We set off at 3am and pottered our way up. All the way up, the path was lit up intermittently by a lightning storm over 100 km away. Truly amazing how dark it was. We got up there and we were the only ones. If you decide to do this, take a jumper - it's bloody cold after you stop moving and before the sun comes up.

Oh, buy your torches in Ubud.

With regard to haggling, it is good sport, but it's only when you stop and work out what sort of money you are haggling for that you realise you are arguing over 20 cents. Meh, take it and good luck to him.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 April 2004 01:02]

coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Anyone been to Bali? Thu, 22 April 2004 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im going to bali in July with the Missus, One of her friends went a few weeks ago and said you have to pay $50 to get into bali, some stupid goverment thing to help rebuild bali (like we blew it up).

Ohh and hold on to your luggage at the airport my brother went with a few mates (first timers) and had a guy come up and say carry your bags it cost them $50 to carry the luggage from inside the airport to the taxi Shocked they got rorted.

anyone know the decent places to go for games/dvd's?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Volcano trip Thu, 22 April 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's no fun. Sad

Why not just haggle and then at the end of it, just pay the original asking price? Very Happy
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Anyone been to Bali? Thu, 22 April 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im going in july too!

for 10 days in kuta
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Anyone been to Bali? Thu, 22 April 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what room Laughing Evil or Very Mad
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Anyone been to Bali? Thu, 22 April 2004 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would it would be in bad taste to say I was Blown away by it?
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Anyone been to Bali? Thu, 22 April 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coronamark2 wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 13:51

what room Laughing Evil or Very Mad

the one full of topless european girls
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Anyone been to Bali? Thu, 22 April 2004 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 16:32

Would it would be in bad taste to say I was Blown away by it?

Ouch! Laughing

Quote:

the one full of topless european girls

Lol... Party at Lang's place! Very Happy
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Anyone been to Bali? Thu, 22 April 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*cough* tranie's! Laughing
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Anyone been to Bali? Thu, 22 April 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coronamark2 wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 16:48

*cough* tranie's! Laughing

thats why i said europeans Smile

im staying away from the locals ive heard tooo many stories
nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
Re: Anyone been to Bali? Thu, 22 April 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went in '96, and in 2000 or so, absolutely loved it (enough that i did an arts degree alongside my engo just for Indo & asian studies!).
I did a volcano sunrise thing also, but we went up Gunung Bromo, which is on Jawa. We actually did a guided horse ride up the volcano, which was way cool, riding across this plain pre-dawn was awesome, then the views... nice. The added benefit is that horses go faster than people - i think we got to sleep in 'til 4am. Could probably do that in bali.

Ubud is (or was, i suppose still is) really nice, slower than the kuta/legian strip, but that's such a good thing! More crafty, nature-y etc, has a cool monkey forest. in central bali.

Speaking of monkey forests, go to Uluwatu! Whether you're a surfer or not, it's a pretty scenic joint, temple ruins on a cliff atop a world famous surf break. SW Bali. While you're down that way, stop at Jimbaran Bay. It's halfway from Kuta to Uluwatu, and has (forgive exaggerated memory) maybe 50 beachfront - as in sit at table on sand - cafes selling you seafood from the bay you're lookin at. Beware the dodgy scales, you may pay for more fish than what you choose.. all good fun. That would be my number 1 bali memory.

Heaps of awesome restaurants everywhere, poppy's (poppy's lane, kuta), some beachfront restaurants up the other end of legian.. im drooling here.

Tanah Lot (NW of Denpasar) is a temple out on a rock in the water at a beach, beautiful, esp sunset. Can visit at low tide i think.

Must shut up! All these things except ubud are within about 10km of kuta. ubud's maybe 30km? not more. There are millions of cool temples. Avoid Nusa Dua, it's just lots of stoopid resorts, no 'real' indonesia. Oh, and if you've started haggling for something, you buy it.

Sorry bout the brochure Very Happy

edit: wrong gunung!

[Updated on: Thu, 22 April 2004 08:58]

Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Anyone been to Bali? Thu, 22 April 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nicked - That's awesome dude. A few things there I'd sort of already earmarked for a visit anyway, but you pretty much sold me on some of them now!! Wink

One thing I'm quite keen on doing is a cycling tour through some of the more northern countryside.. Has anyone done this at all and if so what were your thoughts/experiences?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Anyone been to Bali? Fri, 23 April 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ubud is great, there is this weekly trance dance thing there, some really weird shit!! There is a cafe in ubud which does the nicest spaghetti cabonara...only 'western'ish food i ate the whole two weeks, no cabonara has ever come close...mmm so eggy so cheesy so bacony, then grilled in a wood fire oven.

We went up to one of the northern villages and went snorkeling at a Japanese wreck, sailed out there on traditional outriggers. Very beautiful dive!! on the way back left mask on and hang of the outriggers, get a good (but brief) view of a lot of the reef!

Nusa Dua is not real indo, but the cheapest para sailing/banana boating/bungee jumping you will come across...para sailing was very cool!!

Watch out for stores in Denpasar with monkeys - the monkeys are trained to pick your pockets, and bite when you try to prevent it!!
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Anyone been to Bali? Fri, 23 April 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and take a natural red head, they get everything cheaper!!

If you want to bring back ornamental weapons (bow and arrows, blow guns, swords etc). get an ornamental weapons license first (not hard to obtain, ring the cops)

[edit]: Posted half way thru sentence, but hey it is friday!!!

[Updated on: Fri, 23 April 2004 05:08]

Cressida Chick
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Anyone been to Bali? Fri, 23 April 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, except via national geographic channel on foxtel... looks good
hope you guy's have a fantastic time Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 25 April 2004 21:52]

Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone been to Bali? Sat, 24 April 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went last year for 3 weeks surfing end of July start of August. We went on a 7 day boat trip too around the islands checking out the best surf spots, so much fun.
It awesome over there, everything is so cheap. You even have to bribe the cops if you are driving. One of the guys on our boat go caught for drink riding on a bike with no licence, had to bribe the cops like $20 Laughing

We hired a car, buts its probably better to just get taxi's as they are so cheap and you arn't trying to carry much around with you. Try agree on a price somewhere before getting in because they will try to charge you lots at the end otherwise. Once we agreed on a price then he tried to double it at the end saying that it was a price for each of us. We just laughed at him and told him that is not what we agreed on and gave him original money.

As has been said watch the ppl at the air port they will grab your bags looking like they are helping then ask for lots of money at the end, happend to the chick we were with too, she thought he was just being nice haha.

Night life is still pretty good over there, probably even picked up more since, wasn't so many tourist more lots of surfers mainly when I was there. Alcho is so cheap over there, try the Jungle juice, $5 for big jug/cup, don't ask whats in it but fuck it will get you drink after just like 2(and a big hangover).

You will love it.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Anyone been to Bali? Tue, 20 July 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, the time has finally arrived. We fly out of Sydney in about 13 hours! Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Enjoy the cold everybody!! Laughing
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Anyone been to Bali? Tue, 20 July 2004 14:15 Go to previous message
i guess its a bit late now but smart traveller is pretty useful.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:like jailbait?
Next Topic:The Lore/Truth behind the 'story' that is Initial D
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 4 22:44:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061171054840088 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.