Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4AGE into AE86.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
4AGE into AE86. Tue, 27 April 2004 10:06 Go to next message
Hey guys,

Basically i have a Aus spec and jap spec ae86. The jap ae86 has been crashed so i want to transfer the engine into the aus spec one. So i need the ecu loom and motor, efi tank and lines. Do i need anything from the jap gbox? Also having never done this before should i remove and transfer the motor and box as one? Do i need to cut the loom or can i remove it intact?

Thanks

-ian
  Send a private message to this user    
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGE into AE86. Tue, 27 April 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DONT CUT THE LOOM

Other than that, is really quite simple, almost any bonehead can pull it off.

Rex

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4AGE into AE86. Tue, 27 April 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to transfer the engine and gearbox as one unit, i think you will have to cut out the radiator support bracket, then weld it back on when you are finished.

the gearbox bellhousing will be different, as the clutch slave cylinder will be on the opposite side, you will want to use the jap gearbox in case of any incompatibility (should be able to use the oz one, but better safe than sorry)

make sure you also transfer:

front struts (for JDM brakes)

rear suspension (i think JDM is stronger, and it has discs even though most likely it wont be LSD)

maybeye swap over the brake booster and proportioning valve too

basically anything that is better on the jap car (and not smashed) replaces the shit part on the australian car.

as rex said, it is quite simple, but i imagine it will take a lot of time, ifd think of it as swapping bodies rather than swapping engines.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: 4AGE into AE86. Tue, 27 April 2004 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok,

im gonna transfer the disc to disc on the weekend(Done it before, piece of piss) and i already got jap front struts/brakes installed when i put my coilovers on.

Wouldnt it be easier to just swap the bellhousing over? apparently the aus gbox is same as the jap gbox.
Does the jdm instrument cluster use the same plugs as the aus spec?

thanks guys

-ian
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGE into AE86. Tue, 27 April 2004 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

to transfer the engine and gearbox as one unit, i think you will have to cut out the radiator support bracket, then weld it back on when you are finished.

YA MONG!!! there is 100% no need to cut out the top radiator support bracket, the engine will lift out over it with a little forthought and some common sense.... trust me, done this about 4 times now.

Quote:

the gearbox bellhousing will be different, as the clutch slave cylinder will be on the opposite side, you will want to use the jap gearbox in case of any incompatibility (should be able to use the oz one, but better safe than sorry)

Make sure you take from the jap AE86 the hydraulic lines from the clutch master to the clutch slave cylinder.

Quote:

as rex said, it is quite simple, but i imagine it will take a lot of time, ifd think of it as swapping bodies rather than swapping engines.

yes, its a piece of piss, and it wont really take that long.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGE into AE86. Tue, 27 April 2004 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
re. bellhousing swaps... no its easier to swap the complete gearbox along with the bellhousing.... changing gearboxes is easier done outside the car.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AGE into AE86. Tue, 27 April 2004 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is this forethought you speak of. Im about to rip my 4AC and T50 out and it looks pretty straight forward. Im just worried that i wont have the clearance at the bottom of the car.
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4AGE into AE86. Wed, 28 April 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you will have to raise the car and then tilt the whole engine/g-box arrangement backwards then slowly put it the right way up as it goes in further... you could always just remove the box from the engine... its not that hard, a lot better than cutting and welding anyway!
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AGE into AE86. Wed, 28 April 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im gunning for removing the engine xmember, and the gearbox xmember. Then progressively removing the engine tilting forward.
I just hope that i can get the angle right, and that the nose is high enough from the garage floor.
bob m
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 4AGE into AE86. Wed, 28 April 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're theoretically making this a lot harder than it is in reality! (Unless you've lowered the car).

With standard ride height:
1 Remove tailshaft
2 Remove bonnet, radiator, gearlever. Disconnect exhaust.
3 Attach engine hoist
4 Disconnect electricals, hydraulics, etc
5 Put trolley jack under gearbox
6 Remove gearbox crossmember
7 Remove nuts on engine mounts
8 Lower trolley jack slightly
9 Start lifting engine
10 The higher you lift the engine, the more you should lower the trolley jack (to get the engine/gearbox angle steeper). Start rolling car backwards to clear engine.
11 Keep going as above until car is clear of engine. Lower engine to floor. End of story.

Working single-handed, and being lazy and slow, the whole job takes me about half an hour.

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AGE into AE86. Wed, 28 April 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool cool, just making sure.
Ill be content with moving the crane backwards, car is up on stands
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGE into AE86. Wed, 28 April 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did exactly what you are doing takai, with the gearbox crossmember still on the gearbox and gbox still connected to the engine, and didnt need to cut shit. it clears the engine bay fine with a bit of pushing.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AGE into AE86. Wed, 28 April 2004 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, nice and easy then. As soon as i can cut this bloody exhaust off. Some tard decided it would be a good idea to run the exhaust straight under the tailshaft joint.
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4AGE into AE86. Wed, 28 April 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
should have a sticky on 101 steps for AE86 engine conversion although there are websites on the conversion..but there's no step by step like how Bob M explained. That would help alot for those who don't know much about conversion/first timer...good job!

now Bob M..put up a sticky/thread on 101 steps AE86 Conversion for Dummies... Smile

*i'm serious* Razz
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AGE into AE86. Wed, 28 April 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, realistically its a piece of piss, just people (like me) stress about it.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: 4AGE into AE86. Wed, 28 April 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And me Razz

Watch this thread in case i run into any difficulties
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 4AGE into AE86. Wed, 28 April 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol cut and reweld radsupport? i think NOT!

after having lifted out a SR20 with gbiox attached into an AE86 several times now (thanks for that statts Wink ) this JUST clears everything... 4age really IS that easy....
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4AGE into AE86. Wed, 28 April 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry guys, i wasnt really sure on the rad support point, (should have made that more clear) but i will keep it in mind for my engine conversion.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: 4AGE into AE86. Sat, 01 May 2004 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok guys,

How about fuel? Are the fuel lines unboltable or are they permanently fixed to the body? How do i get the fuel tank out?

thanks
SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 4AGE into AE86. Sat, 01 May 2004 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey mate, im not sure bout the lines but the tank comes out pretty easily, just take the split pins out from the ends of the straps that run underneath the fuel tank, then open you fuel flap and undo those four bolts that hold the neck in place the it should drop out....

cheers mate
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: 4AGE into AE86. Sun, 02 May 2004 01:46 Go to previous message
ok thanks mate,

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:t25 oil trouble
Next Topic:7mgte or soarer/supra /cresida questions