Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TheNav
Regular

April 2004
icon5.gif  Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Sat, 01 May 2004 02:30 Go to next message
Hey all, i have a TA22 Celica and it just has a standard 3T engine in it atm. I'm wanting to get a different engine put into it and i was wondering which i should go for out of a
3T-GTE or a 3S-GTE? I've heard the the 3T-GTE are much easier to install into my car than the 3S-GTE, is this true? Has anyone got any idea on how much installation would cost for a mechanic to do this for me? I can get a half-cut 3S-GTE for around $2500 or i can get a 3T-GTE for $3500. Just wondering if it would better to spend not as much on the engine and spend more on the installation?

Also, would it be AWD if i got it converted?

Thanx All

Tha Nav
  Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Sat, 01 May 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no you cant convert it to AWD , and the conversion to 3sgte would cost manymany many many thousands of dollars unless you did it all yourself ..
the 3sgte is a front wheel drive motor and would requite custom sumps , intake and exhaust manifolds for starters
your cheaper easier install otiton is the 3TGTE

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Sat, 01 May 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and if you click on the SEARCH button and type in "3sgte into ta22 " youll see this has been widely discussed in detail

[Updated on: Sat, 01 May 2004 03:44]

finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Sat, 01 May 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check this link out, its a 22 with a 3SGTE conversion

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=23845&start=0&rid=3625&S=823c3576732 9b8d4372e44a3d85d9ba2

One factor that would make this conversion more costly than a 3TGTE is the fact that the 3SGTE's are mounted E-W in the ST165/185/205's whereas the TA22's are N-S.

Whats more is there area lot more people who have done the 3TGTE conversion on here, so this will make it easier for help.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Sat, 01 May 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops, double post.. Embarassed

[Updated on: Sat, 01 May 2004 07:26]

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Sat, 01 May 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, go the 3TGTE.

Clint
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Sat, 01 May 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3500 for a 3T? ick... sounds a bit over the top! Anyways, the 3T is dead easy to fit, plenty have been done, etc. - but it's an old motor, and standard it's not exactly going to break your neck with power.

3SGTE is a fair bit harder to fit (hell, it sure IS possible to do an AWD conversion, but it's not going to be, er, shall we say, cheap OR simple!). I'd use the 3S myself, but only because I'd do the fitting myself. I wouldn't really want to pay anyone to do it, although if you can rabbit the parts from an SA63 celica, it's not TOO hard.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Sat, 01 May 2004 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheNav wrote on Sat, 01 May 2004 12:30

I can get a half-cut 3S-GTE for around $2500 or i can get a 3T-GTE for $3500.

That funny Laughing

Might me just the rum Rolling Eyes
3T-GTE
Regular

August 2003
Re: Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Mon, 03 May 2004 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It really comes down to your budget & what you want to achieve.
The 3T-GTE is going to be an easier conversion to do, but the 3S-GTE is a better engine than the 3T-GTE.

If you can afford the extra (money & hassels) I'd definitely go with the 3S-GTE.

I have done both conversions, & I currently own a TA-22 running a 3T-GTE (I have had a few cars over the years, but for some reason I have always hung on to this one). I did this conversion over 8 years ago, & it produces 181rwhp/135rwkw, (or around 200kw at the flywheel), which is certainly a lot better than the 2T engine, but it isn't all that powerful compared to other vehicles I have owned.

The problems with the 3T-GTEs:
1. Standard CT20 turbo is crap
2. Pistons are OK, but if you are looking at really tweaking up the boost, then you will need to replace these with forged pistons
3. The general design & age of the engine - 2 valve head, heavy block, etc...

The benefits of the 3S-TGE:
1. The CT26 turbo is a lot better
2. Pistons can handle higher boost better than the 3T-GTE
3. Newer design engine, lighter, 4 valve head
4. Larger capacity

There is a lot more you could argue over the pros & cons for each engine, but this should give you some idea.

Questions...
Will you be doing this conversion yourself?

Are you just looking for an easy upgrade, or looking for something with more than 200kw at the wheels (290 flywheel kw)?

What is your budget?

I hope this helps,
3T-GTE
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Mon, 03 May 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He's also failed to say that for that kind of money, the 3TGTE comes with a HKS Power Flow Air Filter, recalibrated AFM, T28 turbo, custom pipework and silicon fluid and air lines, reconditioned injectors, custom made exhaust manifold with a brand new gasket, mandrel bent 3" exhaust dump pipe, clutch, modified wiring harness, disabled fuel cutout, and conversion to suit a TA22/23/28, ... !!!

Clint
3T-GTE
Regular

August 2003
Re: Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Mon, 03 May 2004 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes very true Clint... that is why I am currently running a 3T-GTE in my TA-22. The "bang for buck" is certainly good.

The only problem I have run into now, is that there is not enough "Bang" there for me. Wink I think I have been spoiled with the 1JZ I used to run (Produced 237rwkw @ 18psi (1.2 bar) boost).

To get that out of a 3T-GTE is possible, but I'd prefer to go straight to a 3S-GTE if you are looking for anthing more than 200rwkw.

If anything under that is OK for you, then yes, the 3T-GTE is a great choice.

Would you agree with that advice Clint?
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Wed, 05 May 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, if you're on a budget or limited in your mechanical expertise, stay with and learn from the 3TGTE. If these factors don't apply to you, go to the 3SGTE.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Wed, 05 May 2004 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless you really want to keep the TA-22, 3S-GTEs can be had now for relatively low dollars in ST165's and SW20's from the late 80's. You should be able to get away with it for not much over 8k if you look around. Makes financial sense...
TheNav
Regular

April 2004
Re: Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Wed, 05 May 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you all for your replys. I'm thinking of getting the 3T-GTE now but the only problem is money!!!!

Sorry if i offended you Clint with not including everything else that you package comes with. I was just wondering which engine would be easier to install and cost the least in the end.

Once again sorry if i offended you
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Wed, 05 May 2004 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, I'm cool, just didn't want other people not representing the package for what it is. $3500 delivered is too much for a standard 3TGTE, but mine is not standard!!! Razz

Clint
TheNav
Regular

April 2004
icon10.gif  Re: Which engine 3T-GTE or 3S-GTE? Sun, 09 May 2004 00:47 Go to previous message
Well after a lot of thinking, i've decided to buy CLG's
3T-GTE. Thanks everyone in helping my decision and also thanks heaps to CLG

Nav
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ke70 gaskets
Next Topic:soarer seat in a corolla
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 07:35:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044560432434082 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar