Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BradW
Regular

April 2004
What diff to use in KE55 Sat, 01 May 2004 13:04 Go to next message
Before I start let me say that I have done a search and read alot of stuff about AE86 diff swaps and hilux diff conversions. Razz

I am in the planning stage of fitting a 4AGE into a KE55 and am looking for a diff.
I have been told that a series 3 bluebird trx diff is suitable. I think they are disc brake and lsd and can be picked up for about $150 which is good as I am on a tight budget.The stud pattern is also the same as KE55(is this correct?) although apparently the track is wider. Has anybody had any experience with or fitted one of these and if so how much was involved.
I am also going to change the rear suspension to coil springs. My wifes uncle is doing this on a FX holden ute at the moment and said he would do mine (I had to wire up an FJ20 for him in return Smile ). Anyone done this?
Also any other diff options you can suggest. The engine will be a standard 100kw with a sprinter T50 gearbox(which I have read is not as strong as w5* boxes but what the heck, I got it for free Very Happy ). I would like disc brake and lsd but as I said am on a tight budget.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brad.
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What diff to use in KE55 Sat, 01 May 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i doubt youd need a hilux diff for a 4age..its not exactly gonna cop a caining.
Just try a stock ke55 rear end? i dunno what other rwd corolla models fit??
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: What diff to use in KE55 Sat, 01 May 2004 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Demuire has a ta22 diff with age in a rolla...seems to be good as it leave 2 black marks.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What diff to use in KE55 Sat, 01 May 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have seen people use a fiat diff (LSD) in the earlier Corollas. They are disc brake too I think. Worth a look.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: What diff to use in KE55 Sun, 02 May 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your replies.

Any info on what is involved in fitting the TA22 diff?

I know I could probably get away with the standard diff but I figure I'll probably need to change it anyway so I may as well engineer everything together (ie engine conversion, brake upgrade, diff).

Also how much are the fiat diffs and what model did they use?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Brad
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What diff to use in KE55 Sun, 02 May 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm... No no TA22 diff yet. Still running stock Jap-spec Corolla diff. But yes, have TA22 diff planned...
rotorace
Regular

August 2003
Re: What diff to use in KE55 Sun, 02 May 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can find an early hilux, you would get one that wouldnt need to be shortened.
otherwise find a nissan 720 ute, they should be the right length. they use the same diff as a s3 bluebird(h190)with big axles and good ratios, but they use huge drums. i was hoping to use one of these, but swap the drums for the smaller bluebird drums or discs, but they use different wheel bearings and im unsure if the off-set is the same, or whether the axles would have to be machined etc. etc.
also the diff from a b16/1800 could be used, they can fit unmodded under an rx3, so the ke55 shouldnt be a prob.
i hope that helps, or at least gives you a few leads
ps. if you can figure out how to mod a 720 diff to take smaller drums, let me know so i can do it too Very Happy
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What diff to use in KE55 Sun, 02 May 2004 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rotorace: Yes I've heard of the Nissan 720 ute - apparently you use the front diff from the 4WD version? Or have I heard wrong? I've been on a lookout for one of these everytime I go to the wreckers, have not been successful... Any idea what stud pattern they run?

Hadn't heard of the B16/1800, erm... As in Datsun B16 or Volvo B16, or...? Will keep a lookout for those too..

Also, I've heard that Scorpion diffs go in without too much hassle and they have disc brakes, but don't know about LSD centers... I think the LSD from the 4WD Mitsubishi van go in or something, but good ratio's are a little rare.

Ta!
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What diff to use in KE55 Mon, 03 May 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just finished putting ahilux diff into my ke30 last week
its an easy convertion,
i started with the narrow type rn27 diff, moved the spring mounts out 25mm each side, and it was in, got the tailshaft shortend and the hilux uni put on it... abit of stuffin round with the handbrake cables and thats it (tho i rebuild it all just incase) u couldnt really ask for more i dont think.
i took photos of it all and have been drivin it hard all week with no probs Very Happy
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: What diff to use in KE55 Mon, 03 May 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EMP-2TG: I take it there is no or very little difference in the width between the rn27 hilux diff and the standard rolla?
Any chance of you posting some photos?
How much did you pay for the diff?
I think its time to do another search and find out more about these hilux diffs Very Happy.

Thanks again for all the info and suggestions. It is greatly appreciated.

Brad

EDIT: Just saw the photo you already posted in the members rides section. Looks pretty good Very Happy.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 May 2004 08:19]

EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What diff to use in KE55 Mon, 03 May 2004 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the there close enough Smile
im running ford 5 stud steel wheels from an ea-eb falcon, they are the perfect option, u can ran au 16" wheels but they will sit in alittle more, the diff cost $220 but good luck finding one, i think 20 odd wreckers were called

http://home.pacific.net.au/~jjm/diff.txt
http://home.pacific.net.au/~jjm/diff2.txt
http://home.pacific.net.au/~jjm/diff3.txt
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: What diff to use in KE55 Mon, 03 May 2004 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the pics. Looks pretty straight forward though I was hoping to keep the four stud pattern.
I know its a bit off topic but what brake master cylinder do you have on your car. I noticed it in the pics in the members ride section.
I bought a KE55 with a 2tgeu in it and it had the same master cylinder fitted. The car was smashed so I stripped it and am planning to use a lot of the bits including master cylinder.

Thanks

Brad
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What diff to use in KE55 Mon, 03 May 2004 14:47 Go to previous message
im converting the front to 5 stud soon so i keeped the 5 stud on the back, my master cylinder is from a pajero and is 15/16ths
which is almost perfect with the hilux 4spots on the front
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Aftermarket ECU / Piggyback ECU
Next Topic:p/n help! Shifter bushing for w58!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 26 19:40:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050671100616455 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.