Classifieds » Miscellaneous » Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon3.gif  Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 00:03 Go to next message
Whats up suckers?

Im looking into organising a group buy for some Quafe AE86 quick rack and pinion kits which drop the steering from 4 turns to 2.5 turns lock to lock.

Ive been in contact with Quaife UK directly and they do not sell these directly to the public. Instead they make them for a motorsport prep workshop/store in the UK. So i contacted Richard who runs the place and he got back to me with this eMail...

[PASTE]

Hi Chris,

Price for 5 x rack kits would be £150.00 (Approx $355)

Price for 10 x rack kits would be £135.00 (Approx $319)

Price for air parcel shipping from my nearest shipper (Interlink/
Chronopost) would be £268.20 for a 25 kilo parcel (10 racks) so that would
be around 27 (Approx $64) quid a rack.

I do have them in stock at the moment, but the new season is upon us and I
am selling them steadily now.

Best regards

Richard

[END PASTE]

So, over the next two weeks i'll be fishing for interest. My trusty calculator brain says that if we can get 6 orders the price will slightly less than $419. And for 10 orders it'll be abou $383 per rack.

Note: that these are a rack and pinion kit, they are not a complete steering rack.

My thinking on organising the buy would be to order them all in my name and collect the money. Then to have them all sent here where id split them up and send them via post to everyone along with any refunds/change etc. It seems like the easiest way. If anyone has any other ideas on how to organise this thing just let me know

So make your interest known people. I really want one of these as im sure a few others would really like one too. So preferably, and i hate to say it. No timewasters

If you want to contact Richard his eMail is: Richard.Rmsport@btinternet.com

Post here, eMail or PM is fine by me

Rex two_fat_ladies@hotmail.com

[Updated on: Thu, 15 January 2004 00:04]

Send a private message to this user    
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any idea the difficulty of fitting? is it something you could do yourself?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm looking at purchasing a AE86 rack soon to shorten for my RA28 custom rack n pinion setup. Do you think this company would shorten one of the racks from the group buy?

Thanks
Joel
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what the hell? last time i checked, my AE86 was 2.7 turns lock to lock.

ok, just checked again, and is it 3.5 turns lock to lock, my bad.

you know you can get much the same results just by using the shorter steering knuckles from an AE86 that came with power steering, dont you?

this also can reduce your turning circle, if the tyres dont rub on the insides of your gaurds first.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, you can use shorter steering arms. But, no they wont make too much difference, reliable sources inform me that 8% less turns can be expected.

On top of that with shorter steering arms you lose the ackerman effect geometry which is a designed into cars to allow the outside wheel to turn at a greater radius than the inside. This is extremely important when it comes keeping both tyres gripping properly without scruffing. Mess with it and poor front end grip and short tyre life will result.

Make no mistake, there is a mass of very technical design work that goes into the suspension geometry. It pays to know what it is you're tinkering with.

As for installation, It would pose no problem to the DIYer with a little knowledge/brains.

TurboRA28,
to be honest i dobnt think so, this is the sort of thing you'd need to have done by an engineering workshop.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does it come with steering arms?, adapter bracket to bolt up to the original position etc etc more info, im very interested if its a direct bolt up!!! or would like a LOT more detail on the setup, if you can get diagrams or pics of the actual units that would be good too
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, guys, I have a Quaife quick rack fitted to my AE86, it was obtained from Richard at R.M sport in the UK, he is very easy to deal with. You will recieve JUST the rack shaft and pinion gear, NOTHING else, no rack ends, no steering arms....NOTHING, you will have to rebuild your own rack or another. I decided to rebuild another rack(thanks Jazae86) while I was at it I replaced the rack ends, tie rod ends, steering boots and pinion shaft bearings with genuine Toyota, expensive but if it's worth doing, do it right!. You will have to set two preloads, the pinion shaft preload and the rack preload, these are both easy to do. the rack is a very easy install into an AE86. The steering in heavier(of course) but extremely direct......telepathic!!! there is a slight increase in kickback but the feed back is awesome, it feels like my hands are directly connected to the front wheels! roundabouts are a mere flick of the wrists, I HIGHLY recommend this rack, do i hear the word go-kart!!!! Ok for those guys just wanting to swap steering arms and think they are going to get less turns lock to lock, think again!!! Yes the steering will be slightly faster, BUT you haven't changed the rack gears, so if your STANDARD AE86 rack is 4 turns lock to lock, it doesn't matter what steering arms you fit the steering WILL STILL be 4 turns lock to lock!!! think about it.....YOU HAVEN"T CHANGED THE GEARING IN THE RACK!!!
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmmmm, dont i know you from somewhere 170bhp Very Happy . Alas nice to see you on Toymods. I trust you'll be spending much time helping others in the Tech section.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 January 2004 07:11]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so whats the advantage of having these parts without doing what 170hp said and re-building he whole steering setup
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, you could put them on the wall, and say

"wow, they look snazzy"

or you could pull apart a steerign rack and replace the rack and pinion gears with the Quaife ones and have faster steering Wink

Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought that this topic was particularly self explanatory Crying or Very Sad . If anyone needs a further explanation on how rack and pinion steering works let me know and ill shove an explanation in the tech section Rolling Eyes.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 January 2004 10:32]

170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I Agree with Rex......come on guys, it's not that hard to understand!!! reduction from standard 4 turns lock to lock to 2.5 turns lock to lock......less steering wheel twirling, more feed back!!!
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you take your complete stock rack and pinion set up out of the car. you pull it to bits. you put in a new rack (the flat peice with the geared teeth on it) and the new pinion (the gear bit that the steering column tunrs) its just like differant gearing. like changing the ring and pinion in youre stock diff. instead of the stock 3 and a bit turns of the steering wheel from wheels pointing all the way left, to all the way right, its just 2.5.

whatever else you replace is up to you. if youre rack seems perfect, you could just switch in the new parts and nothing else. id personally change the rack ends, but thats probably it unless other parts were shagged.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thankyou very much Sly Smile
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that's right, just replace what you want, remember tho, many of these AE86 racks are original and hence will have original rack ends and tie rod ends, so probably more worn than you think, if you replaced the whole lot and then fitted the rack, it would be like having a new rack. For the guys that are really serious about this rack I have two photos I took, one has the original AE86 rack along side the Quaife and the other has the original pinion gear along side the Quaife, so you can see the difference in number teeth and pinion size.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Thu, 15 January 2004 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ffs, the standard lock to lock turns is 3.5 turns, unless mine is some freak of nature.

and if you put on shorter steering knuckles, it WILL give you faster steering, true it will be the same number of turns lock to lock, but the lock will be further than before, so there!

didnt you learn about leverage in school?

your points regarding ackermans steering geometry are noted, but i dont see how it would make any difference, im sure the power steering knuckles would still have their holes along the same line from the king pin vertical line to whatever imaginary point they decided would be good along the centreline of the car, remember, they put a lot of though into suspension design, unless every AE86 with power steering was fked steering geometry.

the real point is that the new quaife rack and pinion will give you more direct steering, and is therefore better. i wasnt sure of the reduction the power steering racks gave you, i still might do this as i'm fairly happy with my steering ratio as it is.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 January 2004 22:54]

170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Fri, 16 January 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey shinybluesteel....settle, i don't disagree with the steering arms giving faster steering, if you read my reply properly you will see that i agree, what I said was that if you kept the standard rack it would still be 4 turns lock to lock........so there!!!!!!
squeak
Regular

November 2002
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Fri, 16 January 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex
sounds like a good thing so I will take 3 YES 3 maybe 4
depending on finances of youngest son,
One for brother in cairns
One for eldest son
One for me
peter k
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Fri, 16 January 2004 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Super!!!
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Fri, 16 January 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guys, we have a UK parts importing business here in brissy. the typical retail selling price for a part is 4.5 to 5 times the UK pounds price, allowing for all costs, import duty, freight insurance, local margin etc etc etc. The final price estimates are probabaly not realistic as they dont seem to have allowed for all these things, or 10% GST which even private importers now have to pay. The only way to get decent prices thru UK deals is to buy at true wholesale price, and ship in HUGE quantites. Buying from retailers over there rarely works unless you get them down to cost + 5% or something similar. If there is enough interest at (say) pounds x 4.2 = $A paid, then we will look to help on a no profit basis.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 January 2004 05:15]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Fri, 16 January 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
170bhp, sorry if i sounded like i was getting carried away,

i agree with what you were saying, sorry if it didnt comethrough like that,

and its 3.5 turns lock to lock Razz

anyway, bump, i hope you guys can get your quick racks!
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Fri, 16 January 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No problemo Wink that's odd yours is 3.5, I have the rack gears out on the bench and doesn't matter how many times I turn the pinion across the rack I get 4 turns of the pinion gear across the face of the rack gear and 2.5 when doing it on the quaife, anyway, the quick rack is definately worth it Smile
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Fri, 16 January 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with Terry too on pricing, as it cost me quite a bit more than what has been quoted here on this fourum, then factor into all this it costs about $500 to put genuine rack ends, tie rods ends, boots and pinion gear bearings, all up to install the quick rack is quite an expensive exercise, I did all the labour myself so someone who can't would also have to factor labour and wheel alingment into the price aswell.......all up expect over $1000!!!!
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Fri, 16 January 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats pretty expensive compared to what I looked at, $350 to $1K is a big jump. sorry guys i think ill be doing some more investigation on what ive seen here in Aus, count me out of the group buy.
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Sun, 02 May 2004 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any update on the quick racks is it going to happen?

Brad
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quaife AE86 quick rack & pinion group buy Sun, 02 May 2004 11:10 Go to previous message
Well, to be honest its kind of fizzled a bit.

But Rex is still trying to find a way of avoiding all the import costs etc...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:FS: 4AGE injectors, fuel rail, Intake manifold, TVIS plate.
Next Topic:4Sale : Toyota 1JZ Twin Turbos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 29 18:55:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053107738494873 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.