Toymods » Tech & Conversions » a nice bit of info for u 18RG-o-philes

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

a nice bit of info for u 18RG-o-philes Fri, 07 May 2004 12:15 Go to previous message
as alot of u know i have an 18RGU in my corona, i have been having problems with it of late backfiring thru the carbs. I thought to myself, hmmm, better check the valve clearances.
all should be between 0.24 and 0.34
I1: less than .03mm
I2: less than .03mm
I3: less than .03mm
I4: .10mm
all exhaust are fine still

Now, what does all that mean, that means i have very bad VSR {valve seat recession}, that means my valves are being driven back into the head. It has taken 17 months to get this bad.
"Traditionally" its the exhaust seat that gets VSR, because they run hotter.
The reason it happens on the intake side is they have a much larger valve {47 or 49mm}, and after a while with the single springs i have {88250 head} it valve floats and flogs the shit out of the head. And since i rev the hell out of it {8000 sometimes Very Happy } it happens alot.

I bought a new head a while back off Ben {people100}, it also had this problem, so i recently sent it to my dad to get work done. My father runs a speed shop in townsville {Melvins Automotive}, and he has had a lot of experience with 18RG's, he was working on them when they were only "fresh" Confused .
He has a mate who used to run one in a sprint car at the speedway, he would flog the other cars in all the qualifyers, but come the finals, the VSR on the intake side had gotten so bad that the car would not run, hence he'd lose.
He would then go home and re-set the clearance, go back a week later and the same thing would happen, he would try hard seats and it'd still do it.
The problem turned out to be the valves, so he got a hold of some Chev stainless steel valves, he'd machine the tops to be the correct length, and cut new collet grooves. NEVER had the problem again.

So i am gonna have this done to my head, and since u have to grind the tops off the valves, we thought we'd get some "base-circle grind" cams and not cut the valves as much so we dont have to make new shims. Money saved.

Send a private message to this user    

SubjectPosterDate
Read Message   a nice bit of info for u 18RG-o-philes  Mr DOHCFri, 07 May 2004 12:15
Read Message   Re: a nice bit of info for u 18RG-o-philes people100Fri, 07 May 2004 12:20
Read Message   Re: a nice bit of info for u 18RG-o-philes LambolicaSat, 08 May 2004 07:01
Read Message   Re: a nice bit of info for u 18RG-o-philes Mr DOHCSat, 08 May 2004 09:42
Read Message   Re: a nice bit of info for u 18RG-o-philes Steve MSat, 08 May 2004 13:57
Previous Topic:Short stroke suspension
Next Topic:any info on wastegate

Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Oct 23 16:29:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047168731689453 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.