Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » t-18 diff is t series???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
t-18 diff is t series??? Sat, 08 May 2004 05:53 Go to next message
hey ppl

i am getting a t-18 diff for my sprinter and from the info i have found useing search it is a straight bolt up but is this diff a t seres diff like the jap spec ae86

questions i need answered...:

1) can u put aus spec sprinter rear drum brakes onto it and are handbrake cables the same??

2) are the axels the same??

3) will a ae86 lsd centre fit straight in with no modifications

3) are the upper and lower trailing arms and panard rod the same as aus spec sprinter

any info would be greatly appreciated

thanks guys

Send a private message to this user    
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: t-18 diff is t series??? Sat, 08 May 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont know what query u usedto search for but this has been covered STACKS of times...

1) no u cant, different bearing size

2) no, re above

3) yes

4) yes
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: t-18 diff is t series??? Sat, 08 May 2004 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
different bearing size?

on the axel id imagine but wat if u use the sprinter backing plate and drum brake setup just cause the bearing is a different size i wouldnt imagine that the stud pattern for the axel plate is different...
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: t-18 diff is t series??? Sun, 09 May 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think Simon has confused Disc and Drum Brake applications in his answers, but I'm happy to stand corrected with more info given??

As for my replies to your questions:

1: Why would you want to, they are both 10" drum brakes. I'd propose many of the parts will interchange, but if you want to run genuine Sprinter 10" drums, it would be relatively easy to swap the complete assembly over (backing plates, brakes and drums). both diffs run the narrow style wheel bearing, but you'd need to check the exact sizes for both.

2: Axles between the T-18 T series drum brake diff, AE86 S Series drum brake diff, and the AE86 disc brake diff, are all different.

3: No, the axles will need to have a small amout taken off the ends, approx 5-7mm to use the LSD centre.

4: Yep!

Clint
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: t-18 diff is t series??? Sun, 09 May 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah.. im sure if you purchase the diff from the wreckers, theyll throw in the entire set up. so no need to swap brakes over.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: t-18 diff is t series??? Sun, 09 May 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey - i got my diff (drum to drum), tailshaft, and gearbox for $200.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: t-18 diff is t series??? Sun, 09 May 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive been quoted $150 for T-series drum to drum and tailshaft.

Ive heard about using corona rear disc brakes. Anyone care to confirm this?
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: t-18 diff is t series??? Sun, 09 May 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only reason i wanted to know if the brake setups are the same is i bought a t-18 diff and tail shaft from the wreckers but the LHS drum and shoes are missing so i was going to put my drums on it but for $60 i cant conplain...!

plus drum setups have a more effective hand brake... hehe

has anyone put a hilux diff centre into a t series diff i have heard they have a insane ratio like 4.5:1 which would go nicely with a high reving 20v...

do they bolt straight into the t-18 diff?

Simon - wat LSD centre did you put in your t-18 diff was there any mods needed as CLG pointed out? i noticed that the t-18 is not fitted with a sway bar have you fitted one and does it handle different without one?

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: t-18 diff is t series??? Sun, 09 May 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Sun, 09 May 2004 17:06

I think Simon has confused Disc and Drum Brake applications in his answers, but I'm happy to stand corrected with more info given??

As for my replies to your questions:

1: Why would you want to, they are both 10" drum brakes. I'd propose many of the parts will interchange, but if you want to run genuine Sprinter 10" drums, it would be relatively easy to swap the complete assembly over (backing plates, brakes and drums). both diffs run the narrow style wheel bearing, but you'd need to check the exact sizes for both.

2: Axles between the T-18 T series drum brake diff, AE86 S Series drum brake diff, and the AE86 disc brake diff, are all different.

3: No, the axles will need to have a small amout taken off the ends, approx 5-7mm to use the LSD centre.

4: Yep!

Clint

re2: as i said, wheel bearings are different size on the T18 to that fo a S series AE86 one. So you cant use the sprinter backing plate, could use the internals tho, but as you stated, why bother.

re 3: i did not have to modify my axles at all.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: t-18 diff is t series??? Mon, 10 May 2004 02:36 Go to previous message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Sun, 09 May 2004 20:30

re 3: i did not have to modify my axles at all.

But what diff did you start with , T-18 drum brake or AE86 disc brake?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what hilux diff do u guys use
Next Topic:W58 on 3RZ-FE need help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 7 00:30:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.083636999130249 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.