Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » TA22 Central Locking...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

TA22 Central Locking... Wed, 12 May 2004 20:30 Go to next message
I know a few folks have central locking in their 22's - where abouts did you mount the solenoid/motor to operate the lock?

Just after a few ideas before i start this...
  Send a private message to this user    
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: TA22 Central Locking... Thu, 13 May 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I mounted mine directly below the lock mechanism on the inside of the door. There is a rod that clamps from the solenoid up to the actuator rod in a natural sort of fashion. In this location in the door it also avoids all of the window mechanism.

Took me about an hour to install and it's worked for 4 years without a problem. I can post pictures if you like.

Cheers,
Dan
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Central Locking... Thu, 13 May 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dan yeah some pix would be good pls, grega AT vncommodore DOT com will get me.
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: TA22 Central Locking... Thu, 13 May 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No probs, I'll get busy with the camera tonight.

Cheers,
Dan
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Central Locking... Thu, 13 May 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grouse, many thanks mate.
silver_sleeka74
Regular

July 2002
Re: TA22 Central Locking... Thu, 13 May 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just wondering what type of central locking system or kit you bought and how much did it cost or did you get it off another car?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Central Locking... Thu, 13 May 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine is a vision kit and its universal (ie for all cars)
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: TA22 Central Locking... Thu, 13 May 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got central locking in mine.

i've sent you a pic to clarify what i'm saying as well.

there's a channel in the door that runs parallel to the locking rods. i've got the motor attached to the inside of that channel. then i just bent the connecting rod so the motor is still pushing straight outward and just clamps to the original locking rod.

i might try to get some pictures next time the door trims are off.

that channel was the only place i could really see to mount the motor without cutting big slabs out of the door. the first one took me a few hours to get right but once i worked it out the other side took about 15 minutes.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 May 2004 03:36]

Disco Scoob
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: TA22 Central Locking... Thu, 13 May 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Grega,
just a thought.
if you plan to put an alarm in which has remote central locking, you should make sure that the kit you have opens the doors from the driver and passenger sides. ie it should have five wires comming from the driver and passenger motors.
Some alarms require this feature to function properly. (well mine did). Rolling Eyes
i agree with dcleyne, ive put it in 2 22s in this spot.
Sean.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 May 2004 05:19]

rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: TA22 Central Locking... Thu, 13 May 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys, i'm planning on adding central locking to my TA23 before it goes back on the road, i'd appreciate it if you could send your photo's to str_ng_r@hotmail.com as well please, or if you could pass them on Grega,

cheers
Matt
ozboy
Regular

February 2004
Re: TA22 Central Locking... Thu, 13 May 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im interested aswell please send me some pics somone surfboy86@hotmail.com
thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 13 May 2004 12:12]

dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: TA22 Central Locking... Thu, 13 May 2004 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've posted some photos to my web site

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~danielcleyne/C elica/CentralLocking.htm

If you have any problems with the page then let me know.

Cheers,
Dan
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Central Locking... Thu, 13 May 2004 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all good. thanks dan.
nice website too.

um, question, how did you do the screws up on the little brass block that holds the rods together? Very Happy i reckon that would have to have taken a month of sundays.

again many thanks. gives me the ideas i need now. was hoping the actuator could go down there!!!!
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: TA22 Central Locking... Fri, 14 May 2004 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, its a work in progress. Hopefully it will eventually be a faithful document of the work on the car.

In answer to your question, I used a very short screwdriver Cool
You need to be a little bit careful with the clamp block. In the kit I got it was diecast (so it only looks like brass) and the one in the passenger door eventually (about 3 years later) broke on the casting line. I imagine this was from me overtightening the screws.

If you do break one, I found the only place you can get them from is a car audio place (like strathfield) where they will have spares from their own installations.

Good luck with your install!

Cheers,
Dan
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Central Locking... Fri, 14 May 2004 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dan, you can get them from your friends at jaycar.... Smile
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: TA22 Central Locking... Fri, 14 May 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Cool! I'll remember that for when the next one breaks Very Happy

Funny that somone at work mentioned this morning that it looked like a 'Jaycar special' central locking kit. I had no idea you could get them from there... I'm pretty sure I got mine from a Strathfield that doesn't exist anymore (Strathmore). I got a good deal on the kit and an alarm at the time so it never occured to me to look anywhere else.

Cheers,
Dan
stylez
Regular

October 2002

Re: TA22 Central Locking... Fri, 14 May 2004 04:34 Go to previous message
i used the 2 door kit from jaycar, i tried placing it in the gap, which worked, but after a while it moved and the door didnt lock properly, so i took my trusty tin snips and cut a piece out of the door, so that there was enough room for the actuator. i used self threading screws to mount the bracket, instead of regular ones as these get a lot more grip onto the thin tin.

i know you may be against cutting the inside of your door, but i think as long as you do it neat, its the best way, to get teh actuator as straight as possible, so that wear and stress is limited, and its mounted well.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 May 2004 04:35]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze conversion Help??
Next Topic:Brakes In KE30
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 07:36:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.064420938491821 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.