Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
travyb23
Occasional Poster

May 2004
3S-GE Information and Mods Wed, 12 May 2004 07:44 Go to next message
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some information on the 3S-GE engine like specs etc, and maybe some websites to look at. i have done many a search on various search engines and i can't find very much. And also if anyone knows any mods to do to these engines that would be good also. And last of all is there a supercharger that suits these engines without too much trouble aka bolts straight on or close too. Thank you very much. By The Way i got this car as a wedding present off my parents and it has a rebuilt engine in it with only 65000 kms on it!!!!.
  Send a private message to this user    
travyb23
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
COME ON PEOPLE, SOMEONE HAS TO KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT THESE ENGINES LIKE A WEB SITE OR SOMETHING> THERE A POPULAR ENGINE> PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!WHAT SUPERCHARGER CAN I PUT ON IT >
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These people should be able to help you with your supercharger quest:

http://www.capa.com.au/

If you are staying NA then try:

http://www.todaracing.com/
http://workin4u.com/jhh/home.htm

These are only suggestions mind.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can do anything you want to it - how fast do you want to spend money? Putting the caps lock on and bolding your reply won't win you any popints here though, relax and enjoy your time here, look at the guys with cars similar to yours, and ask them via PM or email what they have done and how effective they felt the modification was? there are couple of different generations of 3SGE, fitted to a variety of different cars, and there are many different styles of supercharger, a little more infomation will aid your quest greatly?
travyb23
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks For your help, i had look at those sites but they don't really have what i'm looking for. I'm actually trying to find a toyota supercharger to suit my 3SGE. I've heard that they are a pretty tough engine and you can run standard boost through them with big power increase. A Power Torque chip alone will boost it up to 188kw plus supercharger your lookin at about 200+kw at the wheels. and yes that is kw not hp. Anyone else out there know anything that can help me on my "SUPERCHARGER QUEST" Laughing
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
travyb23 wrote on Thu, 13 May 2004 14:31

Thanks For your help, i had look at those sites but they don't really have what i'm looking for. I'm actually trying to find a toyota supercharger to suit my 3SGE. I've heard that they are a pretty tough engine and you can run standard boost through them with big power increase. A Power Torque chip alone will boost it up to 188kw plus supercharger your lookin at about 200+kw at the wheels. and yes that is kw not hp. Anyone else out there know anything that can help me on my "SUPERCHARGER QUEST" Laughing

uh huh...

standard boost = big power increase.
"power torque chip" uh huh
hmmmmmm

why not start with 3SGTE and SC that.. the ECU should be able to control the boost mapping. starting with a 3SGE you are in a hole to start with.

and what is it with newcomers shouting to get atention??

the 3SGE has been extensively modified by many ppl and if you had half a clue, you would be able to find many sites on the net dealing with it.
most ppl go 3SGTE, as the SC will restrict the motor up top.

SC14 is from a 2L so should be able to run "standard boost" to a certain rpm, but you will be better off with turbo if you want that Fooly Sik powah.....

Cya, Stewart
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most ppl turbo the engine not supercharge it so there might not alot of help here, the engine is better suited for turbo'ing.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go and buy a SC14 supercharger. They're only $350.
Muck around with putting it on your 3S-GE. See if it works.

Inform everyone here of the results.

This way will save lots of hypothesizing and question asking and you will have gained valuable knowledge on your supercharger quest.

When you run into problems, you'll be able to give accurate descitptions with photos of what you attempted and some-one will tell why it's not working.

The reason bugger-all people bother supercharging a 3S-GE is because it's a Waste of F**king Time and Money when the 3S-GTE (turbo variant) is so cheap and plentiful. That's not to say your idea won't work - only by trying it will you find out.

Although if you manage to pull 188kw from a std 3S-GE just with a "powertorque" chip you won't need a supercharger. In fact, toyota may just hire powertorque to develop their next 2lt NA racing engine.
travyb23
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So basicly i just find a turbo and manifold to suit(aka off a 3SGTE), buy a microtech and piss off the original ecu, put bigger injectors on it, custom plenum bla bla bla Yeah
travyb23
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Sorry but i meant a HKS speed limiter thingy and if you guys look on the HKS website you'll see that this thing will take the power up to 188kw. Doesn't worry me if you don't belive it see for your selves
84supra
Regular

March 2004
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 3S-GE is an excellent NA engine, producing 165ps (HP) from the factory (late models, early ones around 145-155?) and rev freely to.
I have been looking into the possibility of fitting one to a RWD celica. Once you ditch the factory computer you could get upto 180 HP i suppose, but with stock internals, (cams, no porting ect) there is no way a NA 2.0L could get 252HP (thats 188Kw).
And yes, supercharging is a waste of time, just buy a late model 3S-GTE turbo engine if you think you need more power, these have lower compression and all the other little bits you need for turbos.
Tell HKS they're dreamin' Laughing
travyb23
Occasional Poster

May 2004
icon5.gif  Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there a site where i can compare the spec differences between the two, (3SGE and 3SGTE).
84supra
Regular

March 2004
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found this site:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7177/tech.html

I hope it answers some of your questions. Smile
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.toyotaworld.com/trdsupercharger.html

For even more special superchargers
travyb23
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys!!!!Still need more info but!!!!! Very Happy I want to find out as much as i can before jumping into anything to quickly, so bring on the info!!!!!! Very Happy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What kind of car have you got? Just saying '3S-GE' isn't too helpful because there are many variations of 3S-GE and it's configuration.

As for 188kW with just a chip - I would imagine that would be for a 3S-GTE - ie turbo. Putting out 188kW with just a chip on a reasonably stock 3S-GE (*any* generation) would only be possible if you take into account infinite probability theory.
travyb23
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a 1986 ST162 Gen 4 3SGE (i think), probably should have mentioned that hey!!! Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and first gen 3S-GE as delivered to australia put out 103kW
(135 hp) at 5500 rpm, and 172Nm of torque at 4800rpm.

Second gen 3S-GE (as seen in SW20 MR2) put out 112kW and 192Nm (at some revs can't remember). 3rd and 4th gen figures should be easily available if you do a search sorry I can't be bothered doing it for you Razz Beams 3S-GE is touted by everyone but will set you back 6000 plus gearbox. Has very good output figures due to VVT and having about ten years of development behind it.

As for modifcations? Alot of people do bolt in 3S-GTE transplants...I'm attempting a 5S-GE at the moment by mashing a 5S-FE and 3S-GE together (although power gains expected to be minimal)...Rob has a nice 3S-GE that is probably jap-spec (and pings like a bastard apparently Smile )

As said above, look around for SC14 superchargers if you are that keen on supercharging - however it is best to start with a 3S-GTE for that...meaning, you'll probably be going backwards with the supercharger.
Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
travyb23 wrote on Thu, 13 May 2004 23:46

It's a 1986 ST162 Gen 4 3SGE (i think), probably should have mentioned that hey!!! Smile

So u have a Beams VVTi engine then? If so u would be making 150kw at the flywheel stock

PS gen 2 has 117kw Rolling Eyes, gen 3 124kw
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My bad Smile

I think he means Gen 4 celica, not gen 4 3S-GE.

ST162 has the Gen 1 3S-GE engine...not overtly powerful if you ask me, but I've been fussy ever since I got to drive my dad's WRX (just the once, and since then he hasn't let me touch it). Don't get me wrong though, the 3S-GE is still a very nice engine!!!
travyb23
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i definatlty don't have a beams engine, it's whatever comes stock in a 1986 ST162 SX as i said,gen 4 ithink but maybe i'm wrong.
travyb23
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know it's not overly powerful but i'm workin on it!!!, as i said earlier i'm used to drivin boosted cordia's and starion's so yeah it is pretty weak compared to what i'm used to, but what can i say it was wedding present,i'm definately not complainin that's for sure. Laughing
Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh got ya Smile
Gen 1 3s-ge is still a great engine, when i had my 162 i had plenty of fun with it, still miss the thing dagnammit
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want exact details of what it cost to transplant a 3S-GTE into an ST162 I know wiso has done it, and I think draza as well. They could probably point you in the right direction.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Thu, 13 May 2004 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what car is the 3rd generation 3S-GE from?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Fri, 14 May 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know they came in the ST202 (1995 Celica GT-S) in japan...didn't bring them out in Australia. Maybe others, however we didn't see it in Australia, only in Japan (Altezza maybe?)
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Fri, 14 May 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spoke to importer

jap ST-202
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Fri, 14 May 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, st202. Im in the process of saving for a front cut. Im thinkin the 6speed will be great too!If u want somethin out of the 1st gen, either do cams and timing etc, little things like that - Or go the 3sgte. Not much more u can get formt he good old gen1, or if u want to keep NA by a later version (genm 2 or 3, 4 if u can afford one!)
travyb23
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Fri, 14 May 2004 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i'm definatly gonna go the 3SGTE or maybe just buy manifold and turbo off one somewhere. Found a Motor and gearbox today for $500 is that good value or what! Gives me an excuse to build a strong fast engine while i putt around in the stocko. Cool
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Sat, 15 May 2004 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob gen 3 came out in sw20 in 94 mr2 celicas here had 5sfe
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Sun, 16 May 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We had the ST204 (5S) in Australia, not the ST202 (3S).
travyb23
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Sun, 16 May 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about setting up a 4wd gt4 5 spd box to be front wheel drive anyone know any good sites or info on that?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Sun, 16 May 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could probably find alot of info on this if you did a search on these forums Razz (please do!)

I think someone (maybe TRD?) make an LSD for the SW20 MR2 which will also fit onto the ST162.

Good sites can usually be found with google.

It's not that we don't like answering questions, it's just when you've been on these boards a while the same/similar questions get constantly asked!
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Sun, 16 May 2004 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 14 May 2004 12:13

spoke to importer

jap ST-202

FWD boy ^ japanese ST-202
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Sun, 16 May 2004 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my st162 uses an SW20 turbo box with an LSD Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . It takes a lil bit of modifacation but it works, and its strong, before this box i was useing an SV21 box and it was shit in comparison.
travyb23
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 3S-GE Information and Mods Sun, 16 May 2004 23:47 Go to previous message
alright dude no probs Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cold idle queries.
Next Topic:New file repository
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-