Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers) Mon, 17 May 2004 14:31 Go to next message
ok along with the 2 40DCOE carbs i have just put a higher compression (approx 10.5:1) + modified head and more aggressive cam in/on my 4k, the problem i have is the motor will not fire when i crank it. here is what i have done/checked so far :

- fuel is 1 day old bp ultimate (old fuel completely drained)
- plugs are not fouled + brand new
- there is spark at the end of the leads (screwdriver test a-ok)
- fuel pressure is 5psi at the fuel rail
- carbs are full of fuel
- jets are not blocked (removed + blew them out to make sure)
- aux venturis are not blocked (also blown out)
- cam timing is correct
- dizzy is in correctly

yesterday when i removed the plugs to check for fouling i sprayed a little bit of aerostart down into each combustion chamber to see what would happen - when i cranked it the motor fired for probably 2 revolutions (still turning off the starter though). so basically if there is fuel in the c/chamber it will fire so im at a bit of a loss as to what to check next.

basically i want to get it running (if its very rough i dont care) so i dont have to waste a pile of cash towing it around to get a whole bunch of small jobs done (exhaust mods, interior etc)

anyone have any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers) Mon, 17 May 2004 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't have your dizzy in 180 out by chance? or timing mixed up?
i've seen this error made lots of times, is it worthwhile getting someone to crank and, you turn the dizzy while they crank?

when we put the dizzy in my 4AGE it took us a while to get her going - we had spark too - but, once the dizzy was rotated a tooth or two - it was all good.

just my 2c, good luck let me know how you go.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers) Tue, 18 May 2004 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Borrow (if you don't own one) a timing light, and look at the timing while cranking it. Also, bottle feed it fuel with a small sauce bottle etc., and always remember that carbs can be contankerous buggers of things!
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers) Tue, 18 May 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys

grega - dizzy is ok (checked it both ways Very Happy)
mrshin - timing is correct, will try pouring some raw fuel and/or aerostart down the carby throats and see how we go (2 man job, havent had a chance to test that yet!)
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers) Tue, 18 May 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
curveball here ; how good is the spark? good fat blue flame? IIRC the corollas ran a resistor pack or something before the coil to drop the power down from 12v to 6v or something similar - is the coil getting enough power? are you running the right coil? as a test maybe a jumper b/w +12v from the battery to the coil?

pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers) Tue, 18 May 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i am using one of the new style square bosch coils and a 4KE electronic dizzy... the spark is strong enough to hurt my finger so im not sure that is a problem (might get a multimeter onto the coil anyhow) plus the motor is a fairly basic setup, nothing too extreme there... thanks for your help ill do a bit more fiddling!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers) Tue, 18 May 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what size chokes are in the carbs??

pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers) Tue, 18 May 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no idea

the guy i bought them off had them on a 3k and they were jetted/choked correctly...

apparently anyway

ab
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers) Tue, 18 May 2004 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you getting decent compression if you do a comp check on it?
Are the valves closing fully?
[TOYROTA]
Regular

July 2002
Re: why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers) Tue, 18 May 2004 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm having the EXACT same problem with my 4A-C!!! It's in my KE38 panelvan and i thought i'd try to get it started after it's been sitting in a paddock for 3 years and it seems as though everything is working, yet it isn't. Confused I think mine might need a new dizzy cap because i've got new battery, leads, plugs, capacitor thingy on coil... dunno... hmmm
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers) Tue, 18 May 2004 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason wrote on Tue, 18 May 2004 14:25

Are you getting decent compression if you do a comp check on it?
Are the valves closing fully?

ill grab a comp tester this week and check, should be fine as the head has had a full rebuild and port job... thanks for the suggestion.

ab
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers) Tue, 18 May 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you pump the throttle (look down the throat) does it pump fuel? It should squirt a small amount (power valve). Sounds like it may be a problem with that or the primary fuel circuit.

pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers) Tue, 18 May 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thats a bit of a tricky one, on this car things are harder than most other cars.. im going to get a mirror out tomorrow arvo when its light and have a look in there...

heres a pic so you get some idea of the space i am working with

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~alex.bates/ke10/engine%20bay%20pic%201.JPG
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers) Tue, 18 May 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that I can see the problem. The engine is too damn clean and it is scared to start!
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: why wont it fire? (4k + dcoe webers) Tue, 18 May 2004 23:45 Go to previous message
alex,

can you shoot me a email i lost your address

dale
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Before engineer's certificate
Next Topic:Sprinter Part number needed
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 7 18:55:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041878223419189 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar