Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Engine conversion - hooking up tacho?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Engine conversion - hooking up tacho? Sat, 22 May 2004 23:58 Go to next message
Hey people, just wondering if I'd be able to hook up the factory tacho from my ra23 with a sr20t motor? It has an ems computer/ignition.

Is it hard to mount 2 5inch gauges (speedo and tacho) behind the instrument cluster? So it still looks very factory. (as in June '04 issue of Fast Fours - ta22)
If i do this is it easy to mount and is there enough room?

If not i might even go custom dash but only as a last resort.

I even took my gauge surround into rare spares to see if they could figure out what size gauges i need but they said it cannot be done for various reasons. What do they know!

Any advice would be appreciated!
Cheers.

[Updated on: Sun, 23 May 2004 00:01]

Send a private message to this user    
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Engine conversion - hooking up tacho? Sun, 23 May 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the EMS should have a tacho output, pull the gauge cluster out and find the circuit for "signal in" on the tacho and wire the ems output to that point.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engine conversion - hooking up tacho? Sun, 23 May 2004 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can, by all means do use the factory tacho. However, you may find that it doesn't actually want to trigger from the output on the EMS, in which case there's a couple of fairly easy ways around it. Are you using an SR20 with a dizzy, or individual coils? If you have a dizzy/one coil, then do the obvious and connect the tacho straight to the coil - side. If you're using 4 coils however, then you'll need to take the - side of each coil, connect them all together, and use a diode between each one to stop them shorting. If it's running waste spark (2 channel) ignition, you only need to connect the coil on cylinders 1 + 2 in this way. If you need a diagram to show you how to connect it, let me know. Total cost would be under $5 including heatshrink, diodes, wire, etc. If you don't quite understand, I can probably dig you up a simple diagram showing you how to connect it together.

The other way, if you're a little more electronically minded, would be to build a small amplifier to connect to the tacho output of the EMS, and boost the size of the signal. A suitable circuit is published in Silicon Chip, I THINK it's July '99, as a side note to the CD ignition project.

Whatever happens, you don't NEED an aftermarket tacho despite what people will tell you!
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Engine conversion - hooking up tacho? Sun, 23 May 2004 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I made up a small circuit that took the tach output of the ECU and made it right to go straight into the old style tach. Let me know your email and I will send a drawing of it. About 5 bits, including a gutted relay.

Does the job, but a little sluggish.

Hen
John S
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: Engine conversion - hooking up tacho? Sun, 23 May 2004 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your other option is to do what my mate did and buy a Sixworks tacho booster. Cost him $48 (I think) and worked perfectly throughout the rev range. Was small too; half the size of a box of matches.

Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Engine conversion - hooking up tacho? Sun, 23 May 2004 21:33 Go to previous message
Thanks guys for the feedback
mrshin to answer your qn i'm not using a dizzy. I've got individual coils. I only just got a manual for the ems and the software. The tacho does actually move when I turn on the car so something is connected to it. I'll have to look further into it tho. The software for the ems does have some settings i think regarding the tacho output. I might play around with those.

Let me have another look at it all next wkend.
Cheers.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1GGTE JELLY SHIT IN SUMP HELP
Next Topic:3sge gen 1 pictures
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 11:46:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0036430358886719 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.