Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
hilux diff problem Fri, 21 May 2004 09:16 Go to next message
Hi
I have put a hilux diff in my ra23 and it is still full lenght and I am having trouble working out rim offset for it, I want to remove the flares off the car so I need rims that are almost flat at the front like front wheel drive offset I think.
What offset do camry's have?

BEN
  Send a private message to this user    
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: hilux diff problem Sat, 22 May 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do you measure the correct offset?
i also have an unshortened hilux diff my wheels came off a datsun 1600 and fit quite nicely, they sat well on the 1600 also.
if someone can tell me the correct way to get an acurate offset size ill measure them for you.
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: hilux diff problem Sat, 22 May 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks steve
The off set is mesured from the middle of the rim to the rear of the rim face see here,
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.htm
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: hilux diff problem Sat, 22 May 2004 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heya,

you will need big positive offset wheels... like steve's. the only prob is to get a matched set you will need to spacer out the front to clear the struts, possibly get longer wheels studs depending on the rim.

early 180 sx have the right stud pattern and a very big offset.... alot run between 35 and 44.... could be a good way to find some rims...

Steve wont be able to figure out the offset because he can't measure...

i though you liked the flares!!!!!

cheers
Stew
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: hilux diff problem Sun, 23 May 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stew
Do you like the flares?
I tried some wheels with +35 offset today and they are almost right I think I need +45 for it to look good

BEN
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: hilux diff problem Wed, 26 May 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine are +40 not to sure if its meters, centimeters or millimeters though as i do have difficulty with a tape measure, any thing over about 150mm i have trouble with as thats the size of my digital verniers Razz

stew when are we gunna see that garage ornament you have now actually on the street, you wont be able to just leave it in the garage and polish it you know, itll fade away Cool

[Updated on: Wed, 26 May 2004 00:30]

Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: hilux diff problem Wed, 26 May 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or could it be inches or feet or even miles LOL

Thanks heeps steve

BEN
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: hilux diff problem Wed, 26 May 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wasn't aware wheels were a problem. I've been looking at this mod for my RA28. I have a new set of superlites that I had on my standard RA23. I wanted to use a hilux diff but don't want to get rid of my wheels. Has anyone done this coversion with a 4-stud hub (instead of the 5-stud as shown in the tech-docs)? And what do I need to do to keep these wheels, shorten the axels?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: hilux diff problem Wed, 26 May 2004 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, you would need to get the diff shortened.

Drum to drum face lenght of RA23/28 diff is around 1380mm

The early model RN2* hilux's have about a 1390mm drum to drum face length
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: hilux diff problem Wed, 26 May 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
take note my diff is the longer one, 1415mm or 1410mm or what ever it is Smile
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: hilux diff problem Thu, 27 May 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so 10mm longer for the early hilux one? why is this such a problem, there is more way than 5mm each side clearance with the stock diff? Is it an RTA thing? I can see how the 1410mm long one one cause problems though. What's a diff shortening cost?

[Updated on: Thu, 27 May 2004 00:28]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: hilux diff problem Thu, 27 May 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1972-78 RN2x axles are 1370mm drum face to drum face while the RA23/28 is 1374mm. So its actually shorter / the same and not a problem for teh RTA most of the time as you are using a complete unshortened axle.
The next model Hilux RN/LN 30 series is 1410mm, so you need to shorten this one to fit it. This can cost anywhere from $500 to $1000, so shop around.
Mitch.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: hilux diff problem Thu, 27 May 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
once again it's an engineering thing
you can use the 1410 as you then have to abey the rear track for the diff.. but the only problem you have is wheels fitting inside guards, so your best off with it shorted for that pupose only.
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: hilux diff problem Thu, 27 May 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any problems going with the older diff? I know they will prolly be a little harder to find, are they just as strong? Can they take just as many diff ratios and LSD centers? Can I still convert to rear disc brake and 4-stud hubs and keep it legal?
Steve_Reynolds
Regular

May 2002
Re: hilux diff problem Thu, 27 May 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you keep the rear 5 stud, Mag wheels for FWD Mitsubishi Magna's will fit and give to right offset.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: hilux diff problem Thu, 27 May 2004 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only problem with an older diff is finding one.
Everything else about it is still the same Toyota tough.
They will take all G-series diff centres and LSD's.
I have a 90's Hilux Surf 4.300 LSD in my RA25 axle.
Yes, you can still convert to rear disk brakes and 4 stud and
keep it legal. Depends where you live but getting an engineer
involved when you start the brake mods is a good idea.
Mitch.
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: hilux diff problem Thu, 27 May 2004 09:25 Go to previous message
that's pretty good. I have just got these mags, exactly what I wanted so I would prefer to keep them if I could. Does anyone have any ideas on what disc setup i could use that would acceot these wheels.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ta23 and ra40 master cylinder and brake booster
Next Topic:what trans does 3tgte come with?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 02:41:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064408779144287 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.