Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » removing 2JZ cam pulleys!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
su_pr_aero
Occasional Poster

May 2004
icon9.gif  removing 2JZ cam pulleys!! Sat, 05 June 2004 06:54 Go to next message
AAAAAAHHH! has anybody removed the cam pulleys from a 2JZ before? I am trying to take out the camshafts to be sent away for a custom regrind - the only thing holding me back is the damn pulleys wont come off. I tried holding the pulley in a grip with one hand and undoing the pulley bolt with a socket in the other... Sad Then, leaving the timing belt on, i tried holding the crank pulley while trying to undo the cam pulley - i snaped my socket wrench! Am i just stupid and totally missing some obvious factor? Please help.
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: removing 2JZ cam pulleys!! Sat, 05 June 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Before you start, turn engine to TDC with crank pulley at zero degrees. You need to loosen the timing belt. You haven't specified whether it is a GE or GTE but if you look down low on the exhaust side of the engine you will see a tensioner - GTE tensioner looks like a small shock absorber whilst the GE one bolts into the block and is partly hidden behind the water pump and altenator. For more detail, Mk4.com have the appropriate pages from the engine manual on their website. Take off the rocker covers. This will reveal the cams. On the cam you will see a somewhere between the lobes and the journals in the middle there you will see a hex. Put a dirty big shifter on that. Then undo the bolt holding the cam the usual way (anticlockwise to loosen). Pulleys should literally fall off - may require a light tap.

Reverse process to reinstall.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: removing 2JZ cam pulleys!! Sat, 05 June 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always found 5th gear to be more than enough to get the cam pulley bolts off my 1jz (nearly identical design).

but yes, make usre you're at TDC before doing it, or you're going to have the extra work later on
su_pr_aero
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: removing 2JZ cam pulleys!! Sat, 05 June 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its a GE. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go again in the morning. Hoping for a bit more success!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: removing 2JZ cam pulleys!! Sat, 05 June 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok now you have me intrigued.

Where are you sending the cams? And are you dropping the 2JZGE in the MA70 you spoke of in the other thread?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: removing 2JZ cam pulleys!! Sat, 05 June 2004 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and ask if there is a discount for 2 sets Cool
su_pr_aero
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: removing 2JZ cam pulleys!! Sun, 06 June 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The cams are being sent to TIGHE Engineering to be built-up and reground - somewhere around 286'. Yes, this engine is going into my MA70 along with a W58 'box (payed $390 for the box from a wrecker who had no idea what he had!!) , replacing the tired old 7M and the auto which shattered its clutch pack. I love the sound of a naturally aspirated engine cammed and 'zorsted and so have decided to use my supra for the project. Engine mods go as follows - (most of this stuff is sitting in the garage, not yet installed) Custom high-lift cams, custom extractors, Microtech MTX8, crower adjustable cam pulleys, crower valve springs, porting and slight shave of the head, twin-52mm-throttle body from a Camaro, custom airbox with trd panel filter. I'm HOPING Rolling Eyes for around 210 - 230kw from the engine. Do-able? Option Magazine built a 300kw one - (admittedly with extreme cams and six ITB's) It'll sound great anyway Very Happy.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: removing 2JZ cam pulleys!! Sun, 06 June 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like an awesome project!

How much did the crower gearset you back and im assuming you bought it from a US distributor?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: removing 2JZ cam pulleys!! Mon, 07 June 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool. I got some 304 degree cams for my 2JZ done by Clive Cams down here in Melbourne.
su_pr_aero
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: removing 2JZ cam pulleys!! Tue, 08 June 2004 03:42 Go to previous message
The crower cam gears cost me around $450 for the pair, I bought them from Rocket industries. this i think is the wholesale price as I am a retailer of performance parts in Hobart. Business is slow - the flavour here seems to still be fricken pulsars with neon lights!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GT4 suspension
Next Topic:st185 injectors into st162
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 28 01:37:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050339698791504 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.