Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » st162 possibilities?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
st162 possibilities? Tue, 08 June 2004 09:55 Go to next message
im just wondering if anyone has a st162 sx with the original 3sge engine, and a couple performance mods.

im sorta wondering what is the potential of the stock engine in the sx celica? how qucik can they do a 0-100 with basic mods?

PLEASE DONT SUGGETS TURBOS!!!!
  Send a private message to this user    
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: st162 possibilities? Tue, 08 June 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm...search around...me, RobST162, devil_rolla, SR_TWINCAM etc all have ST162s and there's various info in the members rides section - although I don't know if many of us have taken them down the strip yet.

I'm currently working on a bit of a 'basic' mod (using a 5S crank to make it 2.2 litres) and I'll make sure to have plenty of dyno and quarter mile times and info as it progresses....

Sorry I don't have more info for you atm Sad
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 possibilities? Tue, 08 June 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As an NA car you are limited in what you can do and the 3S-GE is a pretty good engine to begin with. K&N filter in the standard air-box, trim away the plastic in the grille in front of the intake to give the air a big clear pathway in, exhaust headers, 2.5 pipe to a high-flow cat and a single straight thru muffler. You could advance the timing a little. This should get you down from mid-9's to high 8's in your 0-100 kph. If you are feeling brave and like to experiment try a JDM ECU from a gen-1 3S-GE and run on 98 RON fuel and that may give you another half a second, maybe.
Mitch.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: st162 possibilities? Tue, 08 June 2004 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wel if i could get it down to running 0-100 in mid 8's, id be laughing. i was thinking of doing exhaust, extractors, highflow CAI with Pod filter, suspension setup, and some good tyres, good spark plugs,leads and ignition coil.

should get me high/mid 8's no probs.

other mods that i havent looked into as much but would consider: head work such as basic port and polish, cams, and retune the ECU. chips are expensive!!!

but yeah any other ideas out there? dont want to get into serious modification as im not exactly a mechanic.

i was just after someone else who had modified there engines, and what tehy have to say about the mods and the performance increase they had specifically to the 3sge.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: st162 possibilities? Tue, 08 June 2004 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First thing to do would be to take care of the handling - best thing would be KYB shocks n king springs, seems to be the goer amongst celica modders. Add a swaybar too as the stock are pissy as. Then Panel filter n headers n full zorst.Thing is u cant have straight thru as this is way too loud . I tried it n its heaps over the 94dB limit - u need a resonator in there. Also, u cant chip as it isnt MAP and remappin the ECU doesnt really do much. Go to coil n better leads n runnin better fuel will also make a huge differnce. Have fun!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 possibilities? Tue, 08 June 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude just read my thread on my car if you want ideas from what I have done.. not that I am an expert.. FWDboy here knows lots more than me

I think the JDM ECU option is actually a pretty good one actually.. me has suspicions about my car to such an end.. still haven't decided about the engine lol.maybe japanese too..

am planning on going to the track this Sat, hopefully I will have the $45 I need to get in for a run but things are a bit tight atm so we'll see
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: st162 possibilities? Tue, 08 June 2004 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol - fibber Rob Razz

I can't wait to see what your car can do!
(/hijack)
JDM ECU is definitely a good thing, I haven't had any experience with them but who knows? It's just a slightly different fuel/ignition map that is designed for higher octane fuel, now that 98 RON is readily available I'm surprised more people haven't tried this (maybe I should go to an importer sometime soon - hehe)

I've explored other cheap options as well, for example, shaving the head to get some extra compression - here's the catch - there isn't enough room to take anything substantial off the head, the valves sit very close to the edge of the combustion chamber (damn multi-valve head).

Cams are a good option, Crow make a performance cam for the 3S-GE (try Crow Cams for contact info) - I couldn't spot one in their online catalogue, but that thing hasn't changed since I looked over a year ago...I shot an email off to them so I'll let you know.

Some people like to grab shim under buckets - I think you may be able to get these from Toyota/TRD, I haven't checked that one out but people do them on 3S-GTEs - I think Stewart (Classique71) got them for his great big eff-off motor. They are a peace of mind thing really unless you are pulling big revs with high-lift cams in which case you'll definitely want them. They aren't exactly cheap, and I think you have to get new valve springs as well (go double springs, yeah Razz )

The standard ECU cannot be remapped - it doesn't contain eeprom or flash or anything like that (unlike something good like a Subaru ECU) - so either piggy back it to change the ignition map, or replace the whole thing.

Also - just about everyone tends to get their mitts on ST165 or ST185 twin-piston front brake calipers. I haven't yet put them on my car, but they'll easily out perform the standard units (may want to grab an ST165 brake master cylinder too). If you want some go, you got to get some whoa too.

Pod filters are more hassle than what they are worth, a good K&N or Green Cotton replacement panel filter (anything washable) with the CAI (check out this for BLOODY neat CAI) will perform as well, and sound as good, as the pod. Plus it looks twice as legal as having an exposed pod filter in the engine bay.

Whiteline sway bars come in at around $150 each...KYB shocks should set you back $550 all up for front and rear - Rob has H&R and seems to like them. King Springs are dirt cheap, cant remember how much though Sad The ST162 sway bar linkages are crap-tacular, and I haven't found a good replacement set yet, most of the suspension rubbers are all moulded into the joints (things like ball joints etc) and can only be replaced by getting the whole new ball joint from toyota (again, I've yet to find a decent replacement). You can get front and rear sway bar mount rubber from any of those urethane type distributors (Nolathane, Noltec etc) and the lower control arm rubber is replaceable as well.

There, that should do for now. I've printed most of this stuff around the place before...check out this thread as well it's got some general ST162 love and discussion and some useful advice and experience.

*collapses*
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 possibilities? Tue, 08 June 2004 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow dude that is a really good post.. totally worth bookmarking!

thanks for the sore fingers! Very Happy

Quote:

lol - fibber Rob

dude? I am not! My suspension, H&R isnt very commonly available and stupid expensive, I only have it because I got it at an amazing price.. $1600 for inserts + springs Sad

King Lows and KYBs seem to be the common upgrade... but don't read this, read the post above, it's awesome!

edit: $1600 is not what I paid.. what the dude I bought them off paid 3 months before I got it

[Updated on: Tue, 08 June 2004 22:00]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: st162 possibilities? Wed, 09 June 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i forgot one other cheap(ish) option. The 2nd Gen head + 1st gen intake manifold upgrade. If you can get your hands on something like an MR2 3S-GE's head and stick the gen 1 intake on it, and wire that all up, it'll give you a nice performance gain for no more than a few hours work and a few hundred dollars.

Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: st162 possibilities? Wed, 09 June 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Argh - one more thing - I'm not sure if these are *exactly* the same on exhaust header manufacturer's lists, but any set of exhaust headers for an ST184 (5S-FE 1990-1995? Celica) will fit on a ST162 (3S-GE 1986-1989 Celica) as well.
dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: st162 possibilities? Wed, 09 June 2004 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fantastic post FWDboy!!!! Very Happy

Im changing the bucket shimes on my head.... so i might do the swap to the 2nd gen... the exhaust side matches up as well yeah?? hehe

the only 2 cents i can do is a pod filter is crap if its inside the engine bay.... i had it inside the engine bay and really couldnt rev past 5500rpm, but when i moved it into the front guard i could easily rev past 6000rpm and fuel economy was heaps better!!
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: st162 possibilities? Wed, 09 June 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats exactly the kind of information im after, although, i really would like to here some times u boys are getting (0-100 or whatever) , even if it is ur mate in the next seat with his stopwatch!!!

i own a 4ac corolla at the moment. i dont actually have a celica, but im torn between my choices for next car which i will hopefully be after very soon.

im down to:

Pintara T, or Ti
celica sx 162
corolla ae82
honda integra or civic pre 1990

im pretty much after a 4cyl non-turbo P plater car.

the ae82 is in the lead for now, as its performance seems to be right up there with the celica, as well as beeing cheaper to run, modify, buy, and insure. however i like the interior, reputation and design of the celica.

i dont think ill be spending more than $4000 on the initial purchase.

im open to opinions.
thanks very much for ur help guys.
dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: st162 possibilities? Wed, 09 June 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
personally... and this is fully biased... the celica!!!!! Very Happy

I cant tell u times cause everytime i get sumthing fixed sum other shyat breaks... hehehe

but i can tell u sum of the cars ive raced... um driven past....

BEATEN
vt commodore
'89 prelude
'92 celica (think it was the fe)

... lost to everything turbo...
and cant beat a vs commodore...

but that should change as a new clutch, flywheel.. and maybe head goin on.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: st162 possibilities? Wed, 09 June 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well that is all well and good, however, do u believe that u could beat an ae82 corolla with similar mods Very Happy

They simply have an adavantage because of their lightweight bodys and excelect (and very interchangable) 4age series of engines. a slight power gain on an ae82 will improve performance so much more because of its light weight (power to weight ratio).

i really just dont know. i think a celica is a nicer car, but i wish it performed just that little bit better!!!

really lihe the interior of the celica tho. the ae82 interiors rattle and shake to much when driven!
dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: st162 possibilities? Wed, 09 June 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae82 isnt that much lighter than st162...

the 4age is fantastic... and if i was had money for a project car i whould build a hachi roku 4age 20v!!!

but the st162 has the 3sge... its the 4age with 2l's!
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: st162 possibilities? Wed, 09 June 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i can agree with you there. the 3sge is a great engine, and i do not underestimate it.

but now that i htink about it, as nice as celica will be to own, they are a little more pricey than the twincam ae82's.

for a newish P plater like me, think i need the cheaper ae82 which i can flog about (rev), as well as crame all my mates in the back, and still afford petrol (god damn the shit is geting expensive these days!).

i will still consider a Celica if it is the right price, but i cant exactly count on it. Crying or Very Sad

i wish i ahd more money Mad
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: st162 possibilities? Wed, 09 June 2004 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey boys .. can u tell me the diff between ST and SX ... i have done a search before, but dunno what i used as keywords !
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 possibilities? Wed, 09 June 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude......

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=37453&rid=2485&S=82357284814b7903b428629 a6e2a8407&pl_view=&start=0#msg_333193

Wink
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: st162 possibilities? Wed, 09 June 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Thu, 10 June 2004 08:36

hey boys .. can u tell me the diff between ST and SX ... i have done a search before, but dunno what i used as keywords !

See my reply to your other thread........

(as referenced by Rob above!)

Matt
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 possibilities? Wed, 09 June 2004 23:34 Go to previous message
and a good reply it was too! Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA23 1G-GZE
Next Topic:Which 4agze for my 4agte project.....
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 26 09:42:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.093266010284424 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.