Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Celica T50 with A bellhousing Tue, 08 June 2004 23:41 Go to next message
Does this setup work? I know there are people out there using this setup, but I can't seem to get mine to work.

To put it simply, I'm on my 4th gearbox in just over a month, and it's starting to not only get expensive but rather annoying as changing the gearbox is a rather big task. In all my gearboxes they suffer from oil leaks (fixable with a lot of silicone), and then the loss of 2nd, 4th and/or 5th.

In my latest box I have a custom input shaft seal (to sit it closer to the box, the stock seal doesn't seal against the input shaft because of the taper), and I'm using two spacers on the input shaft bearing and no spacer on the layshaft bearing. That seems to space it out about the same as the stock T bellhousing.

I would suspect bearing end float on the layshaft to be a problem, but I can't fit any spacers on the layshaft bearing at all, and even without a spacer it already sits very snugly anyway. Also with the circlips in place on the layshaft there shouldn't be too much end float?

I've tried running all sorts of oil from DextronIII to 80/90 and even tried the oil treatment stuff...

Anyone have any idea?
  Send a private message to this user    
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Celica T50 with A bellhousing Wed, 09 June 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll have to have adapters machined up as both the bellhousing and gearboxes have different boltup requirements. The adapters will need to replicate the back of the bellhousing to the front of the gearbox, as these areas assist in sealing and load displacement between the two types of gearboxes and bellhousings. An easier option would be to run with the AE86/71 box and swap the extension housings and tailshafts to suit - this will also give you a stronger box.

Clint
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Celica T50 with A bellhousing Wed, 09 June 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would I be able to swap the output shaft as well so I can keep the existing tailshaft? I would assume (since the gear selectors go into the actual box itself) that I would need to split the box apart, and not just unbolt the extension housing to swap them?

Also, by adaptors - I take it you mean new spacers to go in front of the input shaft and layshaft? Or do you mean something more complex than that?
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Celica T50 with A bellhousing Wed, 09 June 2004 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, I would simply swap the yokes in that case to keep costs down. The adapters will need to mimmick the bellhousing to suit the gearbox you use, and will cost a pretty penny to have machined up, if you don't know anyone with a lathe!!!
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Celica T50 with A bellhousing Wed, 09 June 2004 03:38 Go to previous message
You mean to use the entire AE86 T50 and modify the tailshaft (yoke) to fit? Are the boxes essentially the same length? What about the gearbox crossmember mount? I would assume I would need to cut the hole in the floorpan further back if I did this since the gearshift in the AE86 T50 sits further back.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Water Resistance of External Bosch Fuel Pump
Next Topic:TVIS!! need measurements for "science"
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 08:22:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.16293382644653 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.