Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
icon5.gif  Earthing Amp Wed, 09 June 2004 12:32 Go to next message
Just got a new (s/hand amp) Smile ..my old one was pissy and just ran off power I found near head unit and then ran down underneath seat to power amp..earth came from round near headunit also.

With this one I plan to run power straight from battery through firewall. I'm wondering where earth would be best to come from?? What do you guys do when you have amp under the front seat. I'm also considering boot install but my old one was underseat so might leave there. Can you not just run the earth to the negative terminal of battery (sorry this may be real stupid Rolling Eyes )

Also the new one I have is 4 channel. It has 2 pairs of rca inputs. One for front speakers and one for rear. I only have one set of rcas from deck though Sad . Do I have to split the rcas or will it power both front and rear off one set of rca inlets?

Thank you kindly

[Updated on: Wed, 09 June 2004 12:37]

Send a private message to this user    
adavy84
Regular

February 2003

Re: Earthing amp Wed, 09 June 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for the earth just find a good bit of metal to bolt down the earth wire.. no need to go all the way to the battery.

as for the rca's there maybe a switch on the amp that combines the front and rear rcas togeter so u can use the one pair of rca's or if not just get some Rca splitters that make 2 into 4 and plug them in... only thing is u wont be able to fade between the front and rear using the Deck.

hope this helps

cheers
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Earthing Amp Wed, 09 June 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea go with what adavy84 said, u don't need to have really long wires if u don't need them.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Earthing Amp Wed, 09 June 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh ok. Thanks guys. Just find a bit of exposed metal or sand back some paint? I heard that the earth wire has to be as fat as the power wire..is that true? .

The existing earth on the current amp is tacked on to where the head unit is getting an earth from (In around near the headunit there was a bit of metal the earth was bolted to. Should I bolt to this and run fatter cable to amp?

Good call on the rcas - I had checked for switch but didn't appear to be one...maybe get som splitters
Biggles
Regular

June 2004
Re: Earthing Amp Wed, 09 June 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your going to go under the front seat, inspect the seat rail bolts, they are usually connected to the chasis and aren't to hard to get to.

If your going to the boot, there is usually heaps of ground points back there, just lift up the spare tyre cover and you'll find a couple around in there.

*If you wanted to use that ground up under the dash, you would have to run the fatter cable (at least 8ga) up to there and then ground it. Although using a different closer point is usually better.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 June 2004 14:31]

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Earthing Amp Wed, 09 June 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So if you use a closer earthing point do you not need such fat wire? Can it then be a fair bit thinner than the active (positive) lead to battery? Thanks Biggles. I'll check out the seat rail bolts - that may be easiest Smile
Asher
Regular

July 2003
Re: Earthing Amp Wed, 09 June 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its always better to have a bigger earth wire than the power wire. Just go out and buy your self 5 metres of the stuff and chuck what you dont use in your shed for when you might next need some wire.

I had to do the same as you, I had 2 rca outs on my headunit but had 4 on my amp, just got some high quality gold plated rca splitters. Nothing more required.

If your going to run a power wire from your battery terminal to your amp, don't forget to mount a fuse inline, saved me a couple of times.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Earthing Amp Thu, 10 June 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks asher!

Should I just by a single fuse holder and put about a 25amp fuse in there and connect just after the power comes into the cabin after the firewall? WHere can you get them, Jaycar?

Thanks a heap!
Asher
Regular

July 2003
Re: Earthing Amp Fri, 11 June 2004 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
See what your amp is using and try to match that if not 5/10 watt more should be fine (someone wanna give an answer if this is ok?).

I mounted mine in the engine bay near the battery but anywhere should be fine.

Yep jaycar, autobarn, repco, supercheap, should all have something.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Earthing Amp Fri, 11 June 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have my power cable running from the battery via a nice thick cable to the amp under my seat, with my earth cable of the same gauge connected under the seat bolt. Works perfectly.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Earthing Amp Fri, 11 June 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also earth the amp to one of the bolts for the seat, but make sure that when you run the power from your battery, please place a fuse on the power wire and as close to the battery as possible.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Earthing Amp Fri, 11 June 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To put it simply:
It is best to use the same sized cable for the power and earth because essentially what goes in eventually goes out

Preferably fuse the power cable at about 5-10A more than your amp because:
The fuse on the power cable is mainly to stop the cable causing a fire hazard should it ever short on the firewall or whatever. You can more than safely get away with using a fuse or circuit breaker rated at a similar current to your cable...
OR
you could take advantage of the situation and use it to double fuse your amp aswell...

Locate your ground as close to the amp as possible... possible being the operative word.
The main reason to go as close as possible is because if you run the cable back through the firewall you now have two high current cables that could short on the firewall.
Also the shorter the length of cable the lower the resistance (read: the better the earth / connection)

I think I should stop typing now as this was supposed to be the simple explanation...

1. Use the same power cable as you use for earth
2. Fuse the power cable as close to the battery as possible with a fuse rated at say 5-10A greater than the amp
3. Place the ground as close to the amp as possible.
4. MAKE SURE YOUR CABLE IS RATED PROPERLY... 15A AUTO CABLE CAN NOT SAFELY POWER A 40A AMPLIFIER!
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Earthing Amp Fri, 11 June 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2. Fuse the power cable as close to the battery as possible with a fuse rated at say 5-10A greater than the amp

whats the reason for this?
i put my fuse right next to the amp Confused
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Earthing Amp Fri, 11 June 2004 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Fri, 11 June 2004 18:27

because:
The fuse on the power cable is mainly to stop the cable causing a fire hazard should it ever short on the firewall or whatever.

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Earthing Amp Fri, 11 June 2004 13:24 Go to previous message
Cheers guys. Thanks Toobs for the explanantion..makes sense Smile Will tackle on the weekend now I have quized you all on the "proper" way to do things Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:would 205 /60/13s have any rubbing issues in a ra25?
Next Topic:Up for comment
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 7 08:47:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11050391197205 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.