Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE86 worth the money?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
AE86 worth the money? Sat, 12 June 2004 15:35 Go to next message
ok i'm new here and gave up on club4ag cause they all american bastards and decided to go bac home for some help. ok i got a aussie 1983 4AC sprinter. i was thinkin of doin up this one but the rust found in this is extreme to other 86's i've seen. and since i love 86's so much i decided to import or find a jap spec 86 and do that up pretty much . but looking at the prices of the 86 and doin them up buying a s14 and doin that up is just bout cheaper to do than doin an 86 ot da max. i'm afriad Crying or Very Sad i'm losing ma love for the 86's i once had and need sum inspiration from u blokes can u guys help me sum how??? i hope this thread makes sence also i was wondering a 4AGE 86 is it really fun to drive in these roads of australia?
  Send a private message to this user    
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86 worth the money? Sat, 12 June 2004 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is how i look at it..if u can afford a s14 yes go ahead by all means...but if your pocket is only limited for a stock s14 and u dont have much financial to do it up...get a s13 and dump a few grand to turn it into beast...or ae86..

no one said doing up a car is cheap...getting a s14 would probably cost u 15k above...while with 15k..u can have a nice ae86 done up if horsepower is not your goal..

sometimes u question on why people still buy old classic cars..that's because of their passion..same with ae86 owners

2 kinda ppl u can find here...attitude then behaviour(action) or behaviour then attitute..

attitude is when u like something..then behaviour (act to buy it) or you bought it..then u start liking it..

so may i ask u what is your goal towards getting a car? ie: show car, daily car, trash car or etc?

sorry if i'm too much on the attitude vs behaviour theory Very Happy Very Happy
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: AE86 worth the money? Sat, 12 June 2004 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, an s14 will set you back around $15k.

So do that if your willing to spend that much. OR the alternate route is this;

Im not sure what you can or cant do yourself. So It'll cost more if you get shops to do stuff for you. IE suspension work.

Start with stripping your car. Get all the rust profesionally cut out. Do a 4agze conversion. $3k later you now have a quick/rustfree sprinter. Spend another $2k on suspension and your set. Put that $10k away for a rainy day.

Sure you'll have a dodgy interior and whatnot So if you want to be a hit with the girls get the s14 with leather interior Rolling Eyes or you can make your sprinter ful sic put on chromes/custom interior/sic paint which would set you back another $6k or so.

Just dont ever come back here with pics if you do Very Happy
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 worth the money? Sat, 12 June 2004 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst91 - let me see if I get this; you can strip a car, cut the rust, have it re-painted and do an engine conversion for approx 3k?

I somehow think that this is unlikely.

bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: AE86 worth the money? Sun, 13 June 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops the way I wrote it out made it seem like i meant that sorry heh.

I was actually reffering to stripping it yourself.
Get rustwork done. (another cost)
didnt mention the paint... =p

Just meant that the engine conversion would set u back that much. ($3k).

Razz
Toolbox
Newcomer

June 2004
Re: AE86 worth the money? Sun, 13 June 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Worth the money? I certainly think so, passion for the make/model is important, if you're getting one just for the fad, then drop the idea. Smile

I'm in the process of putting together a 2nd AE86 for use as a daily commuter, to build one "right" the cumulative costs are rather staggering, here's a generic breakdown;

1) Base car ('83 Sprinter 88Kw 4AGE) - $5.5K
2) Engine conversion (20V Silvertop 4AGE + Ancillaries + rear diff) - $5K approx
3) Chassis (baremetal respray + aerokit) - $1.5K approx
4) Suspension (custom Koni + Whiteline kit) - $2.5K
5) Wheels (RS Watanabes 14x6 + tyres) - $2K

Total - $16.5K approx

Everyone seems to think I'm off my head.... Laughing
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 worth the money? Sun, 13 June 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, im in the process of building an 86 for track.
My costs are somewhat higher.

Base Car - 1.7k
engine conversion w cams etc - 2.5k
suspension - 2.5k
chassis - .5k
interior (cage, harnesses, seats) - 4k
wheels - 1.5k

So it gets very very very expensive.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 worth the money? Sun, 13 June 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex likes to think of it like this.

By no means take an AE86 as a project car if you cant to 99% of the work DIY. Paying someone else labour to do it is simply not worth it. Of course Rex feels pretty much the same with most cars though. If you cant do it DIY, then grab a book and learn how!!!

Build it to a budget. Never lose sight of what the cars is actually worth. However if you build it smart instead of throwing cash at it then you might be surprised that alot of the money you put into it may just come back. For example if its is a very complete package and you were able to build it for 15k then depending upon how well it has been built you might see 10-12k of that back when it comes sale time.

Dont waste your time with bodykits, shiny 17's, sound systems, fitting central locking and power windows they're simply a waste of money IRHO.

Rex's favourite way of looking at it is like this (However it only works for the performance enthusiast).

(1) Think of $18,000 worth of S14. It will be a very nice but very stock car.

(2) Think of the same amount used to purchase S13. $10,000 worth of car and $8,000 worth of suspension and engine upgrades. Suddenly the S14 seems slow.

(3) Now take $2,000 worth of AE86. Another $2k for DIY body repairs and paint. Now how about $14,000 worth of Suspension, Engine, Brakes & Accessories (braces/seats/steering wheel, weight removel etc). Done smart/properly you now have a car with few peers.

This simple principle works with any cars.

Of course you will have to go without all the power bullshit, but if you're like Rex, you'll care not...

Also, Rex is sure you've seen the ideas that some have trying to make an AE86 something it's not. Avoid becomming one of these people.

Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: AE86 worth the money? Sun, 13 June 2004 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mutilate loves it when Rex talks in his 3rd person. mutilate thinks Rex is spot on and mutilate has faced these problems too.
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86 worth the money? Sun, 13 June 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Satoshi thinks Johnny has too much money to spend on cars...why dont Johnny donate some to Satoshi's ae86... Laughing

and Rex, Satoshi thinks you are funny and original...rock on!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 worth the money? Sun, 13 June 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
garth thinks that.... ahh fuckit my head hurts from all this 3rd person... Razz
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: AE86 worth the money? Sun, 13 June 2004 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've owned some pretty nice cars and I find myself right back to modifying ae86 as my favorite. It just seems like toyota hit the nail on the head with the package/platform. Its just the right size and so ez to mod. Both my ae86 have turbo mitsu 2 litre powerplants; one sohc (starion) and the other dohc. Once you fit the perfect seats, brakes, suspension, motor, etc.... its a very tough act to follow.
Oh, I have stereo, power windows, locks, etc. I use mostly junkyard stuff and do my own work. Perhaps the reason I can build such a fantastic ride at unreal $$$ invested. Great bang for the buck, with low original cost.
Point is, you can end up with a car exactly how you want it.... who else is gonna build (an affordable) one for you ? Smile
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 worth the money? Mon, 14 June 2004 05:45 Go to previous message
if you dont like wasting money playing with cars is the wrong hobby. if you want to spend your money and have fun build a car you really want. There are heaps of tips and tricks ont this froum to save you money but you will still have to spend more than its worth. The are 15 years old. If you want to waste heaps of money build Mini. They are great tiny money pits but i still love them.

Have fun and do what you want.

Brad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wierd shudder
Next Topic:What turbo flange is this?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 28 22:34:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.033328056335449 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.