Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
icon8.gif  92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 02:37 Go to next message
yeah fellas got my car dynoed and came out with 92kw , car is a gz20 soarer and stock as a rock , im just wondering if something is wrong
car seems to be using heaps of fuel ,
car boosts fine , runs smooth when at normal running temperature (half mark on the temperature scale )
but feels very sluggish when srarting to accelerate
the oil has been changed , also platinum plugs in it as well always run on optimax or mobil 98 ron fuel
all i noticed was a dirty air filter which was black as coal
what do i need to do to make it get more power /economy

im suspecting the spark plug leads maybe having high resistance and not delivering proper spark , timing , air filter need replacement

what else can i do to get it running like a normal 1g

cheers

[Updated on: Wed, 16 June 2004 03:38]

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My crystal ball is broken so I can't tell you what's wrong with your 1G. We can all take wild guesses but that's not likely to get you anywhere; what you need to do is find out what the problem is before you try to fix it. The best way to do that is put the car on a chassis dyno and monitor everything as it's running: A/F ratio, timing, boost pressure, inlet temp, etc. Armed with that information you should be able to figure out what's going on.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got the results from the dyno run ,inlet temp, afr, boost pressure , thats all i can remember now
afr is mostly 10 which the guy said was very rich
boost max was 8.2 oe similar
cant remember inlet temp
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EvilJack wrote on Wed, 16 June 2004 13:16

sounds like my problem although i havent had it dynoed, probably running rich but if you look at bbonds car he got 113kw at the wheels on 9psi so you maybe getting a correct reading as yours would be a gen1 @ 7psi. (yes we all know dynos have different readings etc.) but least they kinda give an average figure.

I have just ordered a new dizzy cap and leads and got a second hand rotor button so im waiting to see if this will fix mine.

After that i'll be puting it on a dyno with engine analyzers to see whats causing the faults.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 June 2004 03:25] by Moderator

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sory bro just went back to te old thread and read ur comment my car si a 1988 model and running 9psi stock sometimes goes to 10 in cold mornings
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh no worries

but yea i found on mine arching leads so basicly im just traceing over it and replacing a few things to try and narrow the causes down.

You can play with the afm by moving the needle inside but i recomend not to do unless someone who knows what they are doing does it.

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah nah its cool im not fiddling with anything yet , thats why im asking the experts here

cheer
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFR around 10 isn't unusual for a stock Toyota engine once it's boosting; that's what my 2JZ does. As long as it doesn't do that off boost I wouldn't worry about it.

Did you look at the ignition timing? If the knock sensor is retarding the timing you can lose a lot of power. I'm not sure if 1G's even have a knock sensor now I think about it, but in any case it's a good idea to look at what's going on with the timing.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the timing on this engine hard to do i dun know much about engines and all , i did a search and it just confused the shit otta me , is there anone in melbourne who can give me a hand with the timing on this engine
cheers fellas
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie, FYI yes they have knock sensors Smile

In the diagnostic box short terminals T+E1
Hook a timing light up
Set it to 10 Degrees

if you search for 1g-gte ignition timing theres a thread or a few on it, i just did mine a few weeks back Cool
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i alredy searched and read them , but confused the hell outta me as i dun know what 10 degree or whaever is and how to set it , im just a prick who drives thecar and knows nothing about the engine in regard to timing , and internal stuff Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

so what im guessing is timing should be 10 degrees right
just in case i cn get someone to help me i can tell them thats all
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes but you have to make sure you short terminals T+E1 in the diagnostic box to bypass the computer.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok how do i short the terminals like do i stick a piece of wire into both those terminals
also where is this terminal located
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes get a piece of wire even a paper clip

under the lid of the diagnostics box will be a pinout diagram just locate them and put the wire in each terminal.

But if you havent got a timing light then the procedure is of no use Razz
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oi i will take it to a mechanic and tell him exactly all this
is there anything else that i should chek for
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Wed, 16 June 2004 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just get a minor service done on the car

Darkstar
Regular

January 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Thu, 17 June 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How many rwkw should a stock gen3 have??
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Thu, 17 June 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think 150 ish is stock for a gen 3 , and gen 2 should be around 120ish

correct me if im wrong someone
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Thu, 17 June 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They should both be around the 110-120rwkw mark. That 150rwkw figure was a full 3" exhaust and 14psi. It's when searching for more power the Gen3 goes up slightly more, they both start with around the same.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Thu, 17 June 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well farkkk me dead then , how come mine only pu out 92 kw Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Sad

Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Thu, 17 June 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As Norbie said, can't tell without looking at it.
It could definetly be the timing though, sort that out. Also, is your car auto or manual, cos the manual's will always be higher.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Thu, 17 June 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
cars a automatic
poor baby was sitting in the harsh melbourne weather for nearly 3 years doing nothing , then i got my hands on her , and havnt done anything else apart from , oil change , oil filter , platinum sparks

dou reckon the spark plg leads have eaps of resistance by lying there in the car doing nothing for 3 years

also ave noticed that sometimes when moderratly accelerating from a standstill , the car feel like its stuck and then suddenly takes off
like kinda having the hadbrake on andtrying to drive it it , like throttle response is veryyyyyyyy bad ,
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Thu, 17 June 2004 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darkstar wrote on Thu, 17 June 2004 11:21

How many rwkw should a stock gen3 have??

Mine made 124.8kW. Stock as a rock bar an air filter and 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Thu, 17 June 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit then i cant hope for much more then can i
btw my car is an 88 model , running 9 psi and done (80k when i looked yesterday)
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Thu, 17 June 2004 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe its the dyno?

as we all know every dyno differs Razz
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Thu, 17 June 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lolllllllll my friends soarer 2.5 liter got 143kw with only a pod filtre as mods
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Thu, 17 June 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also check your dizzy cap

http://members.iinet.net.au/~athird/dizzy.jpg

this is how i found mine, got a new one on the way.

But the white is bad i.e corrosion.

7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Thu, 17 June 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

sitting in the harsh melbourne weather for nearly 3 years doing nothing

Ever think this may have something to do with it?

Get a compression test done...

...oh and I'd not have thought 92rwkw was THAT bad given that it's auto. At a rough guess going off the 110-120kw the manual guys claim, you are probably only down 10kW over them plus the difference made by the auto. 10kw is a lot, but it's not an earth-shattering difference and you have to live with the fact that some engines make more or less powers than others configured identically. Then add the fact that it's sat basically unused for years and it all seems pretty accurate to me!
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Thu, 17 June 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my old auto gz20 soarer made 94rwkw at stock boost. Raised it to 11psi and the mechanics did some tuning of some sort (3 years ago) and it then got 125rwkw.

Then my turbos blew up Smile
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Thu, 17 June 2004 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm 2 kw more than me sound ok , so what generation wrere u running , was i a gen 2 with a stock 9psi boost

yeah havent got a compression test done , but cars running 9psi ok and theres no shit idling nothing , so i was guessing the compression was ok , but i might get that done as well , with a tune up of somesort defenitly getting the timing , and the spark leads checked , i checked the dizzy , only pulled one lead ff it was nice and shiny so didnt bother with the rest of em , btw this was done about a mnth aga , so i will go home and chek em all

thanks fellas
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Fri, 18 June 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the Gen 3 auto and I had it dynoed at 113rwkw dead standard after a good tune, so I think you could have an issue,

you said

"also ave noticed that sometimes when moderratly accelerating from a standstill , the car feel like its stuck and then suddenly takes off
like kinda having the hadbrake on andtrying to drive it it , like throttle response is veryyyyyyyy bad , "

Could this be a breathing problem?, maybe your car simply isn't getting enough air.

I know you have probably already checked this, but worth a mention..
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Fri, 18 June 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn that makes sense , my air filter is black as coal , thatgonna be replaced asap cheers mate
Looonie
Regular

April 2004

Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Sat, 19 June 2004 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EvilJack wrote on Thu, 17 June 2004 22:58

also check your dizzy cap

http://members.iinet.net.au/~athird/dizzy.jpg

this is how i found mine, got a new one on the way.

But the white is bad i.e corrosion.

Umm... I'd dispute this, while my memory is shocking, I'm fairly certain that when I obtained my new dizzy cap I was surprised to note that the colours inside each connection matched the mixed gold/silver inside my old cap. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this. Although of course yours may be white rather than silver, it looks to me in the photo as though they are just silver *shrug*

Of course having the dizzy cap held on by one screw might not have helped my cause either Smile

(sigh) New leads, new plugs, new dizzy cap, manual conversion, boost kit, exhaust, no filter... and I still get my back bumper gradually coated in soot :\ Even running 18psi doesn't help...

Also the fuel/boost cut seems overly variable... it used to be cutting at 17-22psi depending on weather/temperature (obviously) yet this morning when I was doing some testing and fiddling the needle went right off the clock of my 20psi boost gauge o_O and no fuel/boost cut in sight... admittedly it wasn't a cold morning, but still thats pretty shocking... it was oh so tempting to leave it set to that too Very Happy

But I'll be nice to my engine (well as nice as *I* can be Wink ) and keep it to around 18psi until I get a nice COLD day and then see where my fuel cut sits so I can set it for worst case scenario and know I'll never hit it again Smile

And then maybe one day in the near future I might actually put my car on a dyno and hope for 150rwkw+ (well dreams are free Smile )

These old 1G-GTE's seem to be "interesting" engines... here in NZ nobody really seems to do much with them, in the states don't even know they exist, in oz you guys are doing some funky stuff... curious to see just how far they can go before I need to upgrade to the ol 1JZ... although its all money down the drain testing/modding the 1G-GTE and then spending up all over again on a 1JZ :\
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Sat, 19 June 2004 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i thought it was meant to be like that because it seems to havea pattern going but i checked a gen3 dizzy cap and it had all copper looking terminals.

I guess when my new one arrives it will verify the situation.

Cool
bbdond
Regular

April 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Sun, 20 June 2004 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude got mine dynoed, pulled 92 as well the first run, aftertwinkering around with the Air Flow meter makeing it run a little leaner it pulled 113rwkw so mabe shes running really frekin rich?

I just got an SAFC and im going to wack than in, ill tell u how it goes

Ryan
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 92 kw for a 1g-gte wtf Sun, 20 June 2004 23:09 Go to previous message
farkkk , so that about all it puts out in stock form damn , so theres noting much wrong with my car

hey bond what generation engine have u got , and what did u do to the afm to get it to run lean
also what safc are u ging t use , im thinking of getting the older mdel with the 5 knobs that turn left to right to get the ar running rich - lean - he manual way of doing it apparently it just plgs in the ecu but the newer ones have plgs to the ecu and afm and have 7 points tning where as the older manual one has 5 tuning points

what one is better safc(without the blue screen) or the safc 2 (blue screen)

also dude when u got the run at 92 what was ur afr like would like to know what u got mine was mostly 10 running rich like a pig
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:74 celica stud pattern
Next Topic:Should I?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 5 13:07:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.1356189250946 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.