Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Oil leak at rear of 1g Wed, 16 June 2004 07:41 Go to next message
I have oil leaking from the back of my 1g, it's falling down the front of the sandwich plate between the engine and the gearbox.
There's no oil leaking from the head, and I've just replaced the rear main seal and yet it's still leaking oil.

Anyone got any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil leak at rear of 1g Wed, 16 June 2004 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you pulled the gearbox out yet? It could be the front seal on the gearbox. Hard to say without physically inspecting it though.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil leak at rear of 1g Wed, 16 June 2004 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought that may be the case, but I got a mechanic to look at it today and he said that it was definately engine oil and that it was coming from inside the enigne, and it wasn't flowing from the gearbox.
so
I can't figure where the hell else it could be comign from?
unless there is something else at the back of those motors that could leak oil?
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil leak at rear of 1g Wed, 16 June 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gee strad what is it with you and bloody oil leaks. Wink
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil leak at rear of 1g Wed, 16 June 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can't ever tell where these fucking leaks are though.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil leak at rear of 1g Wed, 16 June 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rear main oil seal?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil leak at rear of 1g Wed, 16 June 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Degrease it and then drive it around the block see where its starts from... dusty roads will be your friend

Allan
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil leak at rear of 1g Wed, 16 June 2004 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've done that, I replaced the rear main seal jut before I put the motor back in.

The leak appears to be coming from the area between the bottom of the sandwich plate and the engine, where the sump joins in at the back.
It comes down in two little streams at the front of the sandwich plate.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil leak at rear of 1g Wed, 16 June 2004 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe leaking between seal carrer and block? what kinda power you puting out of that 1g?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Oil leak at rear of 1g Wed, 16 June 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strad,
Did you modify the sump in your 1G to clear the steering arm?
(That is, did you reduce the capacity of the sump ?)
I have a similar problem with my 1G-GZE in my RA23, and I have a leak that I thought was rear main bearing seal as well.
But I am thinking now that when the oil is up to the F line on the dipstick its actually overfull due to the reduced capacity of the sump and its leaking out somewhere......
As an aside, what throttle cable and accelerator pedal set-up do you have?
And how have you rigged up your AFM and air filter in the engine bay?
Cheers,
Mitch.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil leak at rear of 1g Thu, 17 June 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan: I had a feeling it might be between the seal carrier and the block, that was what I was worrying baout. I don't know what sort of power it's putting out, but I've got it running around 20psi, but it has been known to go higher than that. I guess the proof will be int he pudding after this weekend at the drag
strip.

ra23Celica: I did modify the sump, which would lead to reduced capacity, yes. However.. you missed one vital part. Even though the sump is a reduced capacity, the dip stick still sits at the same spot.
Therefore
When the oil level is at 'F' it is still sitting at the same point in the sump, but it's just not taken up as much capacity to get there.
Unless you've modified your dip stick that is.

Throttle Cable. I made my own one up out of the bonnet release cable of a datsun 120y.

AFM & Air filter.. Hehe. My boy. Have you seen my engine bay on my website? I guess not... WEll, Let's put it this way. The air filter sits onthe front of the turbo, and the AFM, well, it's a little black box sitting on the other side of the engine bay (MAP sensor). Yes, I'm running an aftermarket Ignition computer and straight gas, so there is no AFM.

Thanks all the same.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Oil leak at rear of 1g Thu, 17 June 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair coment Strad, bit too early in the morning for me to be thinking straight today !
Cheers,
Mitch.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil leak at rear of 1g Thu, 17 June 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the block/crank is flexing the rear main is often a first sign Sad
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil leak at rear of 1g Thu, 17 June 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard of people havin lots of troubles with replacing rear mains and not getting them to seal.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil leak at rear of 1g Thu, 17 June 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
errrrrr rear main is easy! hardest part is geting to it!
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil leak at rear of 1g Thu, 17 June 2004 08:12 Go to previous message
Allan: Block/crank flexing? Hrm. Sounds like a reasonable thought, that engine has had a fair beating (how's 30psi briefly sound?)

Bugman: I hope your right. I fucked it up the first time, but this would make it the fourth time I've replaced it (fucked up a few times). I hope i have it right by this time. However, I might be wrong. It might be stuffed.

Allan: Hardest part is getting to it. that's the main pain in the arse.

I did everything you told me ages ago allan with respect to removing the rear main seal, and everything you told me w.r.t. replacing it, and it worked last time I did it. I dont' think it's the rear main seal this time, I think it might be the seal carrier.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Windows tinting
Next Topic:AW11 guys - check this
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 3 22:41:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.003572940826416 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.