Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

rebuilding CT12's Mon, 21 June 2004 22:27 Go to next message
Hi everyone,

I bought myself a 1g-gte a few weeks ago and noticed there was a bit of oil in the intercooler piping and it had a small amount of grey smoke after it had been running for about 10mins or so (half cut) so i thought I must have an oil leak in the turbos. I've priced rebuild kits (~$350 ea) but I haven't done a turbo rebuild before (done engines etc) is there much too it? Should I be getting them professionally done or should I throw them and go the single turbo conversion (I want the cheapest option).

thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: rebuilding CT12's Mon, 21 June 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rebuilding urself is asking for trouble , unless u have all the right equipment , and have done it before , the turbine blades ahve to be balanced properly whe rebuildjng and are not very easy to do , and if they not balanced they are gonna fly apart the minute u turn the car on Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

single turbo -- they are best option , but not the cheapest

b.t.w - if anyone here has interccoler piping for the 1g-gte they wanna get rid of pm me im afer some

cheers
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: rebuilding CT12's Mon, 21 June 2004 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be leaning more on fitting a oil seperator as the oil in the inlet plumbing could be coming from the blow by.
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: rebuilding CT12's Tue, 22 June 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm, which is more likely, leaky turbo or blow by? Is there an easy way to test this, maybe compression test? Can you change the seals in a turbo easily without touching things I can break (balance of stuff)? What do I do about the blow by if that's the problem?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: rebuilding CT12's Tue, 22 June 2004 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blowby is caused by rings not sealing properly, so yes a compression test will tell you if this is the problem. Fixing is means new rings at a minimum.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: rebuilding CT12's Tue, 22 June 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want to see if your turbos are fuggered, why not pull your ic piping from the turbo and look if there is oil in the outlet on the comp cover, if there isnt it aint coming from your turbos. If it is and you would like a cheaper option of rebuilding them, pm me i have some spare ct12's lying round.
Pube
Regular

May 2002
Re: rebuilding CT12's Tue, 22 June 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now that you mention it, my 1/2 cut GX81 1ggte had slightly oily intercooler pipes, could this be common??
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: rebuilding CT12's Wed, 23 June 2004 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless someone has recently invented "the perfect seal". I would expect all turbo's to lose some oil. Most will be visible in the intercooler pipes. As has been said, without a catch can, you will also get oil in the pipes. Check your oil consumption before you go ripping turbo's and engines apart.

regards Chuck.
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: rebuilding CT12's Wed, 23 June 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've never seen a 1g that hasnt oiled the pipes....
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: rebuilding CT12's Wed, 23 June 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same as what dabbid said
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: rebuilding CT12's Wed, 23 June 2004 12:21 Go to previous message
same goes for 1J's dewd mine pushes ueaps of oilthrough even with a catch can
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:DIfference Between Turbos on Regular and Grp A GT-Fours
Next Topic:URGENT : AE86 4A-GE EFI Fuel Pump Replacement Options?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 4 08:41:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048670768737793 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.