Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Sun, 18 January 2004 11:02 Go to next message
I am planning on converting the small mass of metal parts (4K-C) with a 4A-GE, can anyone give me a rough idea on how much a RWD 4A-GE half cut will cost? and if anyone could give me an idea of the problems i may encounter while doing this conversion. If anyone could point me in the right directions (as in websites on this conversion, as im sure im not the first to do it) it would be very appreciated.

Cheers,
Keal
  Send a private message to this user    
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Sun, 18 January 2004 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
before anyone jumps in you'll be told to search. don't say i told you so.

you'll be extremely hard pressed to find a half cut ae86 now - they're still out there but will be demanding the ch-ching if you know what i mean. you can always get a FWD setup cut/shut the inlet manifold and voila you have a RWD (and do a little bit of plumbing work too for the cooling)

into the ke55 - speak with fook on here. (i think he goes by demuire - he is doing this now)

pedal box, gearbox crossmember, surge tank, efi fuel pumps (lift and hi pressure supply) engine mounts, swap radiator outlets, custom tailshaft, brakes, only a few things that come to mind...
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Sun, 18 January 2004 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I allready did searching i just couldnt find exactly what i was looking for, I was also thinking about a 2TG conversion but id have to source out a worked one for the power i want, around 120-150hp, they bolt straight in virtually and i only have to fit a hydraulic clutch, which there are allready holes drilled in the firewall, the gearbox will also fit in, as holes are drilled allready, and the engine mounts are a straight swap (i think) I just love the ease of starting of the fuel injected engines, how you can jump in and driveaway and not have to let the motor warm up.

So yeh if anyone has a worked 2TG thats putting out that much power at the flywheel with a Gearbox, and extractors, Im seriously interested.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Mon, 19 January 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh heh, my 4K has 105hp Razz

2TGE does not bolt straight in, it is just as much hassle as a 4AGE, bith use T50 box, both will need new engine mounts, both need hyd clutch.

4AG is much more worth it than 2TG, unless you specifically want "old skool"

get FWD halfcut, sell the box and driveshafts, get T50 with small spline (so you use your original tailshaft), cutnshut intake etc etc

oh, and if you are not planning to do it yourself, better start saving $$ coule be around $5K labour for someone else to do it for you.
Cya, Stewart

ps, why not get a 2TG and work it yourself?? the head is already good, you just need cams, carby/efi and extractors.... easy peasy
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Mon, 19 January 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes am doing this now (and yes have replied your PM).

You can still get RWD 4AGE's, but they're getting rare and getting old. FWD ones are easier to come by, but you'll need to cut and shut the inlet manifold, and if you can get a RWD starter. Apart from that you'll need an early T50 (out of TA22) with a bellhousing out of an AE71 or AE86 along with the dust shield. Gearbox crossmember can be reused, just needs to be modified slightly to fit the T50 on. Gearlever is in the correct place, and you can reuse your tailshaft.

You'll need to cut and shut your engine mounts to get more width between the mounts to fit the 4AGE. You'll need to modify your pedalbox to work with the hydrolic clutch but again this isn't difficult. Use a hydrolic system out of a TA22 or something.

Try to get the original RWD exhaust manifold, else you'll need one custom made as all the ones made for AE86's that I've come across don't fit because of the silly idler arm getting in the way. If only KE55's had rack & pinion...

Umm, what else... That's all I can think off for now. Oh yeah, have fun wiring Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 19 January 2004 01:36]

79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Mon, 19 January 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think m gonna go for the 2TG as i just dont have that sort of money to throw around. dont get me wrong if i could i would but i cant.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Mon, 19 January 2004 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey oldcorollas what your website??? i can never find it.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Mon, 19 January 2004 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apart from actual cost of the engine there isn't much extra cost at all with going the 4AGE (as opposed to the 2TG). Gearbox and clutch setup are identical, and in both cases you will need to modify the engine mounts. The only extra work required for the 4AGE would be plumbing and wiring.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Mon, 19 January 2004 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its not the gearbox im worried about, its the cost of the motor loom and wiring plus ive got to buy a surge tank dont I??
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Mon, 19 January 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't *have* to run a surge tank, although it is recommended. I know a few people who've done a 4AGE conversion without running a surge, and they tell me as long as they keep at least 1/4 tank they have no issues. You *could* also run the 4AG with carbies (also been done), not sure about legalities though.

The sound of quad mikuni's on the side of a 4AG is something to die for Smile
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Mon, 19 January 2004 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't run a surge tank, but, then again i don't run petrol Very Happy

surge tank is definately recommended - for cornering OR just make sure your fuel tank is like never anything less than 50% full at any given time!

4AG on carbies - done several times (thats kinda what i have except i have an LPG carby)

fook, try the sound of quad throttle bodies on a 20v mate - awesome!

in my mind the 2TG would be the simpler of the two - sure - a similar amount of work is required with respect mechanical work (mounts and tailshafts ect) but less electrical - pretty much plug in the 2TG and give it fuel and +12v and -12v and you're there.

also remember pissy things like accelerator cables/linkages, and exhausts - things to piss you off and slow you down, believe me.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Tue, 20 January 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega: haven't even thought about accelerator cables, exhaust has already pissed me off and I haven't even really started Smile And yes, wiring is so much fun... NOT! Very Happy

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Tue, 20 January 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fook. i used an ra65 cable for my 4AGE and its perfect. for a KE i figure there wouldn't be much in it, BUT, i chopped the top off the RA65 one and welded it to my accelerator pedal on my TA22 - soas it would work perfectly. probably better way of doing it - the KE already runs a cable anyway (my TA had linkages) so you should be able to shorten it and it be all good.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Tue, 20 January 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy wrote on Tue, 20 January 2004 10:30

hey oldcorollas what your website??? i can never find it.

http://drive.to/oldcorollas

or

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8 &oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=old+corollas& btnG=Google+Search&meta=

top of the list Very Happy

Cya, Stewart
aeke
Regular

July 2003
Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Tue, 20 January 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting about the surge tank, I ran a VL turbo efi pump with my 4AGE in my AE86 and it was fine until it was about just under 1/4 tank and you corner hard. I drove it once until it ran out of petrol and you own notice the surge on hard cornering. With the throtle cable I just stole it from my KE25 and it was a bit long but still worked fine so the KE55 one should work fine on the 4AGE. With the 2TG you wont have the problem with plumbing up the water but the 4AGE is such a nice engine and the EFI would be well worth the extra effort and bit extra money.

Good Luck

Will
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Wed, 21 January 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I really dont know what im going to do but thanks everyone for your help or suggestions , if i do something i'll do it next year

Keal
rustfree
Regular

May 2004
Re: 4A-GE into KE55 Corolla Wed, 23 June 2004 09:19 Go to previous message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Wed, 23 June 2004 09:21]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3SGTE vs 1GGTE
Next Topic:Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?")
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 12:05:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.069911956787109 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.