Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Classifieds » Cars For Sale & Wanted » ST162 For Sale (Adelaide)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
ST162 For Sale (Adelaide) Wed, 09 June 2004 13:59 Go to next message
Well, although I've had plenty of fun, it's time to get rid of this thing for bigger and better (an all paw turbo celica for example)

Here's the basic run down.

1986 Celica SX ST162 (3S-GELC)
Completely reconditioned motor (sorry about receipts but I lost them a long time ago!) new camshaft, oil pump and crank seals (east and west) only thing missing is new crankshaft journal bearings and camshaft bearings (forgot about those). New piston rings, new big end bearings, new camshaft shims, re-seated valves, new valve-stem seals, new head gasket.

Okay, aside from that, new distributor cap, re-co distributor (old aluminium had cracked somehow, seems to be *VERY* common, every ST162 owner should check this), re-sealed power steering pump. Pretty much every gasket has been replaced at some stage or another.

Doesn't leak or use a bit of oil.

Only done 18000k since rebuild.

Exterior stuff : Completely BRAND new front Celica badge, and front skirt from Toyota, new rear brake/indicator lenses, new side indicator lenses (all cost a bucket load from toyota). Possible king springs on the front. 2 new Bridgestone RE711s on front, older RE711s on rear (still legal)...can't remember what state the spare is in Smile

Interior stuff : New parcel shelf with Sony XPlod 6x9s (3 way), Sony XPlod head unit, Sony XPlod 4inch (2-way) front speakers in factory mount.

Downfalls (I know, I shouldn't say these but I figure I'll be honest with you guys) - 2nd gear synchro is worn (a common ailment that I never got around to fixing), slight surface rust near wheel arches, probably could use a respray if you are fussy as there is some evidence of previous dodgy spray work, it seems like the front end has been pushed in a bit at one stage, it looks a shade crude in the engine bay but externally it matches up fine and doesn't affect anything mechanically. Still runs slightly rich (but not power-sappingly so).

Will sell as is for $5500, or I will fix up some paint work and interior discrepancies and chuck in a pair of GT4 twin spot calipers and sell for $6000.

I will post some pics of what it looks like in the members rides section (see my sig for a link).

Despite all I say about it being a piece of crap, you can drive for yourself and find out that it is a wonderful piece of motor vehicle. Just a shame I got bitten by the turbo all-paw bug before I could do the '5S-GE'...(if anyone wants to follow up on that project I still have the 5S crank and various bits lying around that I've cleaned up, will part with for a negotiable price)
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 For Sale (Adelaide) Wed, 09 June 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and it's for a noble cause too! Brother, I will allow you to sell this given the object of your desire Very Happy

Wink buy it peeps!

Quote:

2nd gear synchro is worn (a common ailment that I never got around to fixing)
hard pressed to find an origional box without this problem, mine is like this too
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 For Sale (Adelaide) Wed, 09 June 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah - I cbfed pulling the gearbox to bits to fix it either Smile As much fun as gearboxes are (not)...

I still wish I could keep this and get a GT4 though!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 For Sale (Adelaide) Wed, 09 June 2004 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh forgot to mention, replaced timing belts and power steering and alternator belts at the time that it was reconditioned...also the idler and tensioner pulleys have been replaced (no more whirring noise). It runs well and it's never felt rough or stumbled all the way through the rev range since the rebuild. Also a big mention should go to the injectors, after being cleaned they flowed alot better and the spray patterns on two of them are perfect and there are slight imperfections in the spray of the other two but they are in good nick for ~220,000k injectors.

I honestly can't remember everything I've done to make this car run nice. As I said, it's got potential to go from here Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 For Sale (Adelaide) Fri, 11 June 2004 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, few more things to add....I'm still tidying the car up, got new alternator bearings and pulley, new rear boot rubber (was found to be leaking a bit) and new black leather gearstick cover. I'm cleaning up the exterior paint job as close to perfection as possible and I'll be looking for $6000.

Will post some pics up next thursday (pre-exterior work, will post a pic of that the week after) so you can see what condition it's in.

At the moment, just gimme an EOI or pm if you like, because obviously I'm still sorting through the car and making sure it is ready for it's new home.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 For Sale (Adelaide) Wed, 30 June 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*bump*

Got distracted by exams so I've been tardy with tieing up the last few loose ends, I'm almost back on track...will post pics really soon - fear the transformation Very Happy
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ST162 For Sale (Adelaide) Wed, 30 June 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what is a 3s-gelc, and what is this "5s-ge" you speak of?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 For Sale (Adelaide) Wed, 30 June 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S-GELC is the engine that australian Celica SXs came with...(LC just means it has all the emissions gear on it)

The 5S-GE is a project that I was about to embark on until I stumbled upon a GT4...the theory is to take the 5S-FE (2.2 litre 1990 celica engine) crank/block and stick a 3S-GE head on top of it. That way you should end up with the extra torque from the longer stroke, and all the power of the GE head. I have almost all the parts necessary to do it but I didn't around to sorting out some of the finer details.

I never got around to finishing it Sad
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ST162 For Sale (Adelaide) Wed, 30 June 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair enough, i've always just called them a 3s-ge. Interesting idea for a project, i would have thought the head wouldn't bolt onto the block directly, but that would go well if it worked.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 For Sale (Adelaide) Wed, 30 June 2004 08:52 Go to previous message
It does bolt on, depending on the year - check the link in my sig it basically has everything I got to there...there's also a link to a discussion about 5S and 3S blocks and sorting them out.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:WANTED - Mark 2 Corona MX22 / MX23 (Eastern States)
Next Topic:FS: yamaha peewee50
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 3 14:01:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0037140846252441 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.