Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Engineer reports after conversions Sat, 26 June 2004 14:45 Go to next message
Hi, I was just wondering how much it costs to get your car engineered after a conversion. I live in Whyalla SA and have a 1JZGTE into a MX73 Cressida project going. We havn't modified the cross members or anything like that because we used a front sump 1JZ from a Supra. Only other mod that has been done is swapping my cracked Cressy tail shaft with a modified Hilux one.
Im 18 and still on my P's until April next year.
Any info on engineering would be great!
  Send a private message to this user    
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Engineer reports after conversions Mon, 28 June 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can anyone give me a rough idea on how much engineering costs?
I havnt modified anything structurally, just the wiring I'm worried about
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engineer reports after conversions Mon, 28 June 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok here is a break down of what it usually costs.
Engeeniring $300
Brake test $90
Weigh Bridge cert $40 (this you can provide yourself)

Take into account if your car doenst pass the first time you will be up for another $300.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Engineer reports after conversions Mon, 28 June 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers thanks for the info, the guy thats helping with the conversion said it could cost upto $4500 Shocked
Any idea what he meant, only thing I could think of was, when I was looking through some other forums, a guy said that EPA tests cost about $3000?
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Engineer reports after conversions Mon, 28 June 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why so much...Its $88 for a mod plate for engineering in qld. another $50-$70 for a rwc. Why $300 for engineering down yourway?
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engineer reports after conversions Mon, 28 June 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fattony wrote on Mon, 28 June 2004 20:40

Take into account if your car doenst pass the first time you will be up for another $300.

When I had my car engineered the engineer looked at the car all over, told me what needed to be fixed and then took a deposit to cover the work that had been done - when I took the car back, he checked the 4 things that he had asked me to fix, and I then paid the balance - he then gave me his trade plate to drive to the weigh bridge and back.
Cost was $250 at the time.

Rather than reading the crap that people post on the forums (myself included) - please look up a suitable engineer, ring him, tell him what you are doing, ask for suggestions (brakes etc) ask about costs, get to know him by name and make sure that he knows you by identifying yourself when calling, and then go to that engineer when you are finished.

Good luck with the conversion.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engineer reports after conversions Mon, 28 June 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Probably what he meant by th $4500 was that it cost him that much to fix the mistakes when he tried to get one Evil or Very Mad
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Engineer reports after conversions Tue, 29 June 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about going from mr2 aw11 gze to gte? does that need a cert?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Engineer reports after conversions Tue, 29 June 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
technically yes, but always check with an engineer in your state first.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Engineer reports after conversions Tue, 29 June 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive spoken to a few people who should know and all have said its still forced induction so you dont need one.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Engineer reports after conversions Tue, 29 June 2004 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's a pretty big difference between "a few people who should know" and a good source of information.

Any modifications that change emissions really should be engineered, this definately covers the supercharged to turbo conversion.

On the other hand I'm sure there are a lot of blue slip guys who wouldn't care if it was a different form of forced induction. This does not however mean that the car is legally registered and if it's not legally registered it's not legally insured.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Engineer reports after conversions Tue, 29 June 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i know that hence why i am asking again and not just sitting back going sweet! till i have a big acco and get arsefucked by the insurance company. But it this case if its not engineered, whose going to eng a pod filter?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engineer reports after conversions Wed, 30 June 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we are not the people in the know. the person who can say yes or no is the engineer.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Engineer reports after conversions Wed, 30 June 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fattony wrote on Mon, 28 June 2004 20:40

Ok here is a break down of what it usually costs.
Engeeniring $300
Brake test $90
Weigh Bridge cert $40 (this you can provide yourself)

Sigh, I only wish. Rolling Eyes

In SA, I have to do a lane change and brake test, and with the normal engineering calcs, I will be looking at 1500 with someone charging $120/hr + GST.

Oh I long for a $300 cert.... Sad

Oh, this is for a 7M-GTE in a Mk2 Supra
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Engineer reports after conversions Wed, 30 June 2004 13:36 Go to previous message
Yeh i dont know why it costs so much in SA. Its no differnet to the check carried out in other states Crying or Very Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:coil overs
Next Topic:cat back exhaust
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 4 02:56:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057089328765869 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.