Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE92poit
Regular

January 2003

1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Thu, 01 July 2004 15:59 Go to next message
a friend is trying to do this (put the 6spd box ont his 1u) can anyone help with the parts needed ? or tell me where he should go to get the parts made?!?
thanx
  Send a private message to this user    
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Thu, 01 July 2004 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thoguht the 1ggte only came with a W58 in manual guise(ie 5sp manual)
if this is what you mean then there are bellhousings made for this...i think CRS do one.
rhawker
Newcomer

July 2004
Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Thu, 01 July 2004 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a comon ENGINE IN THE TOYOTA Tacooma and the Thundra mid size trucks in america they are everywhere and have stick shift as they call it try escondido toyota in escondido CA
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Thu, 01 July 2004 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
100% custom my friend.

There are only a few ppl in the world who have hooked up a 6speed to the 1uz, and it has always been a v160.

Does the 6spd you have have an intergrated bellhousing?
If not, good luck, some cutting and welding is in order.

As for the flywheel, CRS do them, as well as QCA
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Thu, 01 July 2004 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which gearbox are we talking about here? Do you mean the 1G-FE 6-speed (ie Lexus IS200) or the 2JZ-GTE 6-speed (ie JZA80 Supra)?
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Fri, 02 July 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at a guess it would be the lexus, these gearboxes are meant to be pretty rare. not cheap either, and i doubt fixing it when it breaks from too much power will be cheap either Razz what's wrong with the auto, you know that the fastest drag cars in the world use auto's?!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Fri, 02 July 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joecoolmk2 wrote on Fri, 02 July 2004 10:17

what's wrong with the auto, you know that the fastest drag cars in the world use auto's?!

Yeah, coz EVERYBODY is building a drag car
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Fri, 02 July 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, it's obvious he want's to go fast, and that's the most common setup in fast cars. v8 creates torque, torque convertor converts it to much wheelspin Very Happy. also, apparently ijz-gte auto's are meant to be faster than manuals, that's what i've heard.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Fri, 02 July 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drag racers prefer autos for consistancy more than outright speed. Unless you're running 10's or better, an auto is unlikely to be an advantage compared to a well-driven manual.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Fri, 02 July 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, i would have thought a well setup auto with a matched stall convertor would be better for drag racing in a car that has any decent amount of power (say 12 second 1/4 mile). Even though they have more drivetrain losses, I would go a well built auto for drag racing in most cases.

talking standard autos is a whole different story Smile

However, if you just want to drop burnouts, then a manual is the go! Razz
deesonet
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Fri, 02 July 2004 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the 6 speed he is referring to is the J160 from the Lexus 1G-FE it will last about 1 week with the 1UZ on the front of it.

They have an in-built problem with the 2nd gear that most IS200 owners have warranty problems with. Mine had a slight catch into 2nd by 54000kms before I changed to V160 6 speed.

Difficult to fit V160 to a 1UZ as it has an integral bellhousing - very hard to change without machining and welding.

The better option is to fit a R154 behind the automatic bellhousing. If the R154 is from a 7M (longer front shaft)it is almost a boltup job. This is the most common manual conversion for 1UZ owners. Can email photos if required.

If you need another J160 6 speed box as a spare I have one for sale?????

[Updated on: Fri, 02 July 2004 10:03]

AE92poit
Regular

January 2003

Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Fri, 02 July 2004 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not sure what the box is... i know is 6spd and is also used in the new nissan silvia (s15) and a few other cars)
AE92poit
Regular

January 2003

Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Fri, 02 July 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its not mine its, im asking for a friend..... he is putting the 1u in an LJ TORANA (GAH) and has the 6spd to go on it... should he sell it and get a diff box? they are not strong?
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Fri, 02 July 2004 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats the weaker of the two 6 speeds used by Toyota, he ideally needs to source a Supra six speed, if he is insistant on running a 6 speed box!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Sat, 03 July 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 6-speed S15 box is an Aisin-Warner jobbie; it's also used in the IS200/Altezza (designated J160 by Toyota), as well as MX5's and S2000's. As mentioned above it's not a particularly strong box and will have a very limited lifespan with the torque of a 1UZ.

The Getrag V160 (Supra 6-speed, also used in the BMW M3) is damn near indestructible but expensive to buy and diffcult to modify. I agree with Deesonet, the R154 is a good option if your mate can live with 5 forward gears; they're much cheaper and 1UZ conversion kits are available off the shelf.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Sat, 03 July 2004 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another note, i looked at putting an is200 6 speed on my 1g-gte but besides the cost, I worked out it wasnt going to help that much, close ratio gearboxs are tricks for high revving n/a motors.
deesonet
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Mon, 05 July 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To fit a Getrag V160 to the 1UZ will require major surgery. The starter motor on the 1UZ is at the top and on the Getrag is on the LH side.

If he insists on a 6 speed it would be easier to fit a Tremec T56 out of the Commodore. At least it has half a chance of holding the power. That is if you can find a good one.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Mon, 05 July 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deesonet,

Ok The J160 - V160 swap... How hard was it, what was involved ? I am expecting to POP my J160 not long after the car see's the tar. Short of getting a gearset made the V160 may be a go.

Otherwise I was going to see if the 200SX box would mate to the Altezza box ?

Any FACTUAL info would be great. The Altezza box IS NOT the same as the 200SX box.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Mon, 05 July 2004 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard the only major difference between the Altezza box and the S15 box is gear ratios. I could be wrong though, I've never directly compared them!

Having said that, people who build big hp S15's usually turf the 6-speed and replace it with an S14 5-speed. The 6-speed S15 box is known to pop with a bit of extra power.
deesonet
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Tue, 06 July 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod

The J160 - V160 swap was made because I also did a 1G-FE to 1JZGTE at the same time. In other words I gutted the engine bay and threw in a VVTi version of the 1JZGTE complete with V160 box.

If you need another J160 I still have my old one for sale.

Norbie's right - the 200SX and the IS200 is the same box - just a few different ratios.

I researched a lot before changing box. There is very littel technical info available for the J160. They don't seem to have released any torque figures for the box that I can find.

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggte 6spd gearbox to 1uzfe Tue, 06 July 2004 11:44 Go to previous message
I've read a lot of things regarding the S15 Silvia boxes, on a couple of occasions I've read about them breaking, but no one is able to give me a specific example! I've heard the same thing about the Altezza box.

What exactly is it that breaks? How much power does this happen at?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:KE35 Rack & Pinion conversion
Next Topic:83mm ca18det pistons.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 05:54:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050029754638672 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.