Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
cressida questions Wed, 07 July 2004 02:26 Go to next message
Hi all,
Got a '91 MX83 GLX a few months ago (153000kms, $6800 from a dealer)and i've got a couple of questions:

I want to put a cat back sports exhaust on it, but i dont want it to sound like a wanky commodore! I've been quoted $380 for a 2 1/4 inch piping to a genie canon muffler (N1 style) but i'm concerned this might be too loud. The other idea i had was get a lukey muffler instead, and ditch the 'drift spec' look. Is the 2 1/4 inch size the way to go?, i woulda thought 2 1/2 inch might have been a bit more suitable What sort of systems are other ppl here running and are they happy with them? I dont want something too loud, just to have a nice tone to it.

What experience does anyone have with drop in K&N repacement panel filters? are they worth the money?

I think i need new brake pads on the front, whats a good brand?

Also, the lhs park light is from the pre-facelift model (1989ish) and doesnt match the rhs one, and i need a new electric aerial mast. I couldnt find anything in townsville or brisbane given the rarity of the car, does anyone know a good wreckers that might be able to help out? While i'm on the topic, how do you remove the park light anyway? i cant figure out how to get mine out without removing the headlight, is there a clip behind it or something?

Final question, my dizzy appears to be leaking oil into the cap, is this an easy fix?

Sorry for all the questions!

Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: cressida questions Thu, 08 July 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't need anything bigger than a 2.25 inch system on a 7M-GE Cressida, especially if you don't want noise. And for that same reason I would drop the Genie Cannon as well. I have a Lukey muffler at the end of my 2.5 inch 1G-GZE on my 1976 RA23 and I like the sound of that. Not loud, not 4cyl rasp fart, low and purposeful. Nice.
I don't have any experience but from reading of others who have done this, they found a drop in k&n replacement air filter a good thing. But just know this, you will not 'unleash' 1000 bhp from doing this or fitting a pod filter.
Bbrake pads are as good as you can afford, as long as they make ones to suit your car. Try Padgid, Endless, EBC or Bendix Ultimate. Don't ever ever ever fit Ferodo's. EVER !
Can't help you directly on the other stuff, I am in Perth. Silastic sealer to stop the oil leak, replace a faulty seal.
Good luck with it all.
Mitch.
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
Re: cressida questions Thu, 08 July 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, thanks for the reply.
Actually got the exhaust done today, 2.25inch cat back with single lukey muffler. Exactly the sound i wanted, no detectable loss in low end power either, very quiet at idle or crusing, but really opens up when you step on the accelerator. Would highly recommend this setup for any 7MGE, especially those on a budget (entire system cost $280, quality pipework and welds too). Praises to Bob Parkes Mufflers in Townsville!
And with the money i saved over the genie canon muffler i should be able to get a K&N.
Yeah wouldn't really consider fitting ferodo pads cos
a) i've heard bad things about them before
b) their name sounds stupid Smile
(for the record, its mostly reason A)
i'll probably try some bendix advance or bendix ultimates...budget permitting.

Cheers.

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: cressida questions Thu, 08 July 2004 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
capableronTRD wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 12:26

Final question, my dizzy appears to be leaking oil into the cap, is this an easy fix?

no, not an easy fix at all - the seal on the shaft is fucked, and on the cressy dizzy's disassemby is ndamn near impossible. even if it it were possible (like a supra 7mge dizzy) its not an easy job for the mechanically stunted
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
Re: cressida questions Fri, 09 July 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, guess i'll have to try source a cressy dizzy from a wreckers somewhere (i'm hardly an expert but not 'mechanically stunted' Smile ) but i would have thought that the 7MGE supra dizzy would be the same as the cressida's?

Oh and bendix dont make ultimates for the MX83 pad design i found out today, i can get ordinary bendix advances for $67 apparently, but they are not really a performance pad.. i'll hunt around for other manufacturers

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: cressida questions Fri, 09 July 2004 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't buy anything Bendix if you want a performance pad. See if you can get EBC Greenstuff for your Cressida, they cost more but they're a top quality pad for street use.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: cressida questions Fri, 09 July 2004 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nup, the 7mge in the supra runs a completely different dizzy...

and to change a shaft seal in a 7m dizzy, you kinda do need to be an expert Confused

stevevp
Regular

May 2002
Re: cressida questions Sun, 18 July 2004 22:34 Go to previous message
capableronTRD wrote on Fri, 09 July 2004 11:52

Oh and bendix dont make ultimates for the MX83 pad design i found out today, i can get ordinary bendix advances for $67 apparently, but they are not really a performance pad.. i'll hunt around for other manufacturers

Get the toyota genuine pads, trade price is about $77 and they bite very well cold or hot. I've found nothing better so far.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:which mazda steering rack for ta23??
Next Topic:Shift kits - toyota autos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 00:50:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048768520355225 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.