Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Intercooler water spray??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Intercooler water spray?? Wed, 14 July 2004 06:37 Go to next message
Has anyone considered/done installing water spray in front of the intercooler. Would this benefit the cooler or is it better to have water injection after the AFM. Just curious..looking at ways of making the stock cooler more efficient on my 1ggte, since i want to boost it to 1 bar. Would this do it?
  Send a private message to this user    
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Intercooler water spray?? Wed, 14 July 2004 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUDE STOCK TURBOS WILL KILL ITSELF AT THAT BOOST CT12 MAXES OUT AT 14.7 PSI I THINK

CHEERS
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler water spray?? Wed, 14 July 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heaps of people run 15psi on them.. and some people occasionly run a little more, though they run out of effiency pretty much after 15psi.

15psi is doable all day every day on stock turbos.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler water spray?? Wed, 14 July 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on stock coolers too
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Intercooler water spray?? Wed, 14 July 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im thinking of doing that to my TA22, but i wanna put it between the radiator and IC... considering 2 sets, one set for IC, other set like this: one jet for radiator and one for oil cooler
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Intercooler water spray?? Thu, 15 July 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i have read heaps of people run 1 bar(14.5psi) with no probs. Anyways i have 2 sets of turbos spare Very Happy . I just want to put water spray to help to cool the intake charge a bit. Anyone done it? Also can i put it so it sprays behind the cooler of ir has to be in front of the cooler?
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Intercooler water spray?? Thu, 15 July 2004 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOYAN any luck with the flutter noise man Confused
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Intercooler water spray?? Thu, 15 July 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can mount it anywhere you want to...
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Intercooler water spray?? Thu, 15 July 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i as also thinking of doing this onto my 600x300x76 cooler
but only to intake temps all good on really hard accel
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Intercooler water spray?? Thu, 15 July 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah steve no luck with the fluttering. Looks like it can't be done on the 1G-GTE engine. The only way it seems is installing the HKS SSQ BOV...but i don't like that idea cause its an atmo BOV and the car can blow smoke when the BOV goes off. I rather use the GFB Hybrid. As for the mouting of the jets for water spray if i mount the nozzle behind the cooler won't that be blown away as i drive since air is forcing it away from the cooler
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Intercooler water spray?? Thu, 15 July 2004 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u mount them on ya front bar infront of cooler
geeza
Occasional Poster

June 2004

Re: Intercooler water spray?? Thu, 15 July 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've always heard about it, but the only car i've ever seen it done on is a skyline....or maybe it was an S15 silvia, can't remember now....but anyway, it must have been some kit, it was shaped much like a kettle element, but wider to cover the cooler, and where the ends came back to each other (eg back of the kettle using the comparison) it was mounted to the front bar....that's all i saw of it, couldn't look under the hood or anything.

One of my mate's is thinking of doing it to his silvia, so i will let u know how we go, or vice versa, we bought a 3.5l/min pump from Dick Smith for $10 and we are going to try to make our own one. Shouldn't be too hard. depends on the size of ur intercooler i guess.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Intercooler water spray?? Thu, 15 July 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u will need a really good spray nozzle for the water so that u get a nice fine misty spray , so it will cool better

i think autospeeed had an article on it , go chek it out

u can also u se old window washer motor and thw whole setup from some old car use a hobbs pressure switch so it can switch on to whatever psi u want it to , only problem is running out of water

boyan spray nozzle should be placed in the fron of the intercooler , not the back, just mount it n the fron bar somewhere or just on top of te cooler and facing it down as the cooler is positioned on an angle it wont affect the spray jet

looking from the side view

\ thats what the intercooler is positioned like

do it like this with the nozzel being the first one (-) positioned upwards a tiny bit

_ \

[Updated on: Thu, 15 July 2004 02:03]

BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Intercooler water spray?? Thu, 15 July 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am going to make my own too. I will use the stadard winscreen washer bottle. Get some brass jets and a vn washer pump motor. The only problem is how to activate it. I can use a hobbs switch but you don't want it to come on boost only. No point..you want the water to squirt when you stop cause the cooler acts as a heat sink. So i am thinking of using this computer of autospeed article for the opertation of water spray. It has temp sensors and measures your injector duty cycle so it learn how hard you drive and when it need to turn on the water spray. But still in the brains stroming process.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Intercooler water spray?? Thu, 15 July 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the fan is on when the car stops boyan , so that shouldnt have any problems with cooling
geeza
Occasional Poster

June 2004

Re: Intercooler water spray?? Thu, 15 July 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i bought a water pump because it's capable of putting through more water, and it uses an impeller system not a propeller system, so imagine the opposite of a normal prop system, the empty areas are now filled and where the blades where, there are now slits....this is a more durable system and prevents rocks etc from goign through the pump and jamming it or having the crap shoot onto your intercooler.

But a standard washer pump would probably work fine, you can get them from dick smith as well. Or goto a wreckers.

as for the nossle, i was thinking of either pulling apart a water sprayer (like what hairdressers have) or just get some irrigation gear from K-mart or an irrigation shop. maybe run a ring of piping with 4+ nossles so the entire intercooler is covered evenly.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler water spray?? Thu, 15 July 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got the Autospeed kit on my mr2 and it works very nicely, after a 5 minute run with the sprayer running boosting hard in second and third gear, the outlet tank was cold to the touch...
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler water spray?? Thu, 15 July 2004 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone done any sort of testing to identify the value of the watersprayer on the intercooler i.e. has anyone checked the inlet temps (post intercooler) with the sprayer on and sprayer off (under the same ambient temps and under the same driving conditions)??

Quote:

the outlet tank was cold to the touch...

was it hot or warm to touch when the sprayer is not activated/fitted under the same driving conditions??

I have heard and read of mixed reports on the value of intercooler watersprayers in lowering inlet temps.

Any intercooler I have checked out after a hard drive has always been icy cold on the outlet tank side. When the car has been sitting or only moving slowly though it's a different story.

Do any of you who have the sprayer run a mix of water/methylated spirits? It increases the evaporation rate: hence in theory increases the cooling efficiency of the liquid sprayed onto the cooler. Try it, dip one finger in methylated spirits, dip one in water, the metho finger will feel much colder due to the increased rate of evaporation. DO NOT ever run pure metho in the sprayer or you will have a nasty fire on your hands. A google search should bring up the best ratio of water:metho if anyone could be bothered.

Just curious about this stuff, feedback from people who are using sprayers and have inlet temp gauges would be appreciated.

I have thought about fitting it to my car at one stage and was told by a noteable rally team mechanic not to bother as they did testing under various conditions and found on their car that it made no difference to inlet temps what so ever.

Others may have had different experiences though, the type of car it's in would be good to know too. As an MR2 is dealing with different flow/heat factors to a front mounted engine with a big front mount cooler.

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Intercooler water spray?? Fri, 16 July 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah.. u cant REALLY judge it on outlet temps
even after my harder driving my outlet temps are icy cold as said above
metho+water is a good idea
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Intercooler water spray?? Fri, 16 July 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought a kit for my car a while ago, I still haven't put it on. I don't think it's necessary anymore I have a really big cooler now.

If I was to put it on I'd aim the two jets at the front of the cooler.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Intercooler water spray?? Fri, 16 July 2004 04:23 Go to previous message
Turbosmart Type 1 running stock boost on my mates S13 Silvia will flutter when it builds a little bit of boost and releases it. Under full acceleration it has too much pressure and can't help but give one loud ppssshhhh.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:online manual
Next Topic:water temp guage ae92 4age
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 5 07:23:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11444711685181 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.