Toymods » General Car Talk » Anybody know how much a 260z is worth

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 01:54 Go to next message
I went down to pick up my car and the guy had this 260z there immaculate condition he said he cut out all the rust and tiny dents so it's perfect. The guy who owns is spend $1300 on rear suspension so he could tow his boat with it but it still doesn't grip on gravel roads so he's selling it with fresh paint for $5000 in imaculate conditon . It's had the same owner for 15 years and he has looked after it the whole time . I want to buy it but i dunno if i'm getting a good deal of not any help would be great .
  Send a private message to this user    
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A 2 seater in good/very good condition (a term not often used when describing these cars) would be between $8K and $12K.

A 2+2 is worth less.

Fresh paint usually = was rusty, now bodgily repaired and in 1 year all the bog will be coming out and looking shit. These cars rust like nothing else - if his boat is in and out of the seawater than the car is likely to have problems.

But I could be wrong. For rust - Check the sill panels under the doors, the hatch, the rear quarters, the "chassis" rails under the car, the chassis rails in the engine bay, the hinges on the rear hatch, the driver and passenger seat footwell, the sopt under the battery, the front guards etc etc. Take a magnet and do the magnet trick over the WHOLE car.

Don't get me wrong, I love these cars and would like another one one day but rust just kills them, and 99.9% are shitty, bodgily repaired specimens. For a price guide, check the trading post.

I'm not sure how you could spend $1300 on rear suspension. I did the rear nolathane bushes, rear new sway bar and new rear shocks (Kyb) in mine for less than $700. It must have Konis, new springs and everything else for that much.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I no the whole car is rust free and done properly because it's the same guy who did my car. And the chassis rail has been replaced aswell as the floor pan. He got some pedders suspension kit for it so that might be worth $1300 .And if it makes any difference it was only used to launch the boat in freshwater ie lakes.
The thing is if i buy it will i have to get the rust fixed again ??
It's a 4 seater car i think maybe a 5 seater but not a 2 seater
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So its a 2+2... They are no so sought after.

It would help a little that it wasn't salt water but like lumpy said... they have a tendancy to rust in any conditions.

If it is as good as you say it is, it'd be worth that. Especially if you won't need to touch it for a while mechanically.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well from what i have heard the guy who owns it isn't short of a buck or two so it's been well looked after i drove to the end of the bodyworks driveway and back it seemed ohk plenty of power no blue smoke etc. So mechanical it's perfect and the body is perfect but will it rust again in the same spots later on in life ????
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It may not rust if done properly. The main cause of the rust (besides poor design for run-off water) was the fact that they were shipped over to Aus on the deck of cargo ships, got covered in seawater and never properly rinsed off.

Mechanically the z cars are easy to work on and pretty straightforward (well, up till the 300zx). The L-Series mototrs are incredibly strong, even if the original piston rings weren't. A pair of twin SU's or Hitachi's from the 240z is all you need to replace the shitty 260z carbs.

Fun to drive as well - can be made to handle beautifully and they feel like a sports car. Smile

But I'm not so sure that I'd ever get one as a daily driver. The place for one is in the shed, only driven on sunny days.

The 2+2 is a bit uglier than the 2 seater, but still lots of fun and pulls the women. Sadly, they're always 40 year old women who remember how cool they were when new. Sad

[Updated on: Wed, 21 July 2004 04:09]

schnitzel
Regular

July 2004
Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds about right on price for well looked after one,motor is easy to mod as most internals are same as l16 motor so just do everything one and a half times. EFI off the 82-84 skyline fits with aftermarket fiddling, put some modded 18r pistons (got to get toyota in somewhere and they can be made to fit) boost compression.But seriously lots of go fast bits available and easy and simple to modify just make sure rear end has no clunks as they can get expensive.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i wouldn't drive it everyday well i won't b driving it for a while but it seemed like a good buy . If sleek off fat pizza didn't drive 1 them i might not buy it (fully sik 4 pickin up da chicks bro)
The body works dude said there is a generic design flaw and they all rust in the same spot.
I also heard they had motors like VL commadores or simlilar.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought Sleek had a 240Z. Confused The 240Z is WAY cooler. The 2 seater 260Z is not too bad either... I think if you have found a 260Z 2+2 in the condition you say it is then I'd settle for one of those. It's up to you.

If sleek drove a 260 then it surely would have been the 2 seater.
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also these have IRS, Im pretty sure, which is MADNESS, I'm considering getting a 240Z and putting in one of the RB series engines. In my opinion this is Well and Truely MADNESS Razz
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is the differene between a 240z and 260z ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 260Z 2 seater shares the same chassis with the 240Z with a different engine. The 260Z 2+2 has a longer wheelbase and is well fugly Very Happy

That is all.
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Early 240z's are lighter than later ones due to thinner metal and less crap probably. 260z's sported the L26 (2.6L inline 6, non-crossflow, sohc). The easiest way to tell the cars apart is from the taillights, the 240z has the reverse lights integrated with the park/indicator/brake lights, 260z has the reverse lights seperate from the cluster.

Want to kno more? Fuck, my dad has many a book on the things. Raced both a 240z and a 260z and also made up a 250GTO Ferrari replica from a 240z. http://www.abbeysound.com.au/ross'scars.htm

Cheers.

Btw, 240z, best roadster for its time imho!
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
been looking for a nice 240z for awhile now but good cheap ones are rare.
perfect 1uz donor car thou. and all legal!!
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a 260Z (2 seater) damn i miss that car sometimes.. Smile
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Wed, 21 July 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SillyCar88 wrote on Wed, 21 July 2004 22:53

Also these have IRS, Im pretty sure, which is MADNESS, I'm considering getting a 240Z and putting in one of the RB series engines. In my opinion this is Well and Truely MADNESS Razz

I'm not sure why it's MADNESS, but they do have IRS. Pretty simple arrangement from memory...but they sure do handle well when setup properly.

IMHO there's not much value in putting an RB series engine in a 240Z. They are just starting to get rare/valuable and an original one will be worth far more in the long run.

Although a few years ago I heard of someone putting an RB26 and GTR 4WD setup in a 260z in Vic. Lots of fabrication and engineering.... I'm not sure if it ever made it onto the road.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Sat, 24 July 2004 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is a 2 seater i didn't look close enough. I was down there 2day with the guy who owns it he recons there is a miss fire in it sumwhere ?
I couldn't hear it . He also said it's got the original motor and has had no rebuild. The speedo goes up 2 260km and he said it won't make it anywhere near there .
I thought it might b a good buy seen as tho he had it 4 sale then desided 2 totally fix it up and sell it with no price change ?
Oh and has anybody ever tried towing a trailer that weights the same if not more that the car towing it ??
SCARY !!!!!
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Anybody know how much a 260z is worth Sun, 25 July 2004 10:15 Go to previous message
http://upload.3sgtemr2.com/upload/260zfront.jpg

Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Photoshop expert
Next Topic:Toy Car wanted - Crown MS63 Wagon/MX23 Corona Mark II
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 11:22:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056920051574707 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.