Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Small Port or large?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
icon4.gif  Small Port or large? Mon, 26 July 2004 05:44 Go to next message
Hey everyone,
Yeah i did a search but I couldn't find an answer to my question. Question is.. I am in the process of doing a gze > gte conversion on my sprinter and i cannot determine the head to use.. Large or small port. Any advice and why would be great. Thanks guys and gals

Jeremy Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Small Port or large? Mon, 26 July 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

Most people are going to say "bigport", if you have access to a bigport head then go for it, they definitely don't pose any problems.

BUT, no one seems to be able to show actual results that identify how much difference their is between the two with the same setup on both.

I mean the "smallport head" doesn't exactly have extraordinarily small ports or anything, they just happen to be smaller than the "bigport head".

Both heads are fine for good power 150rwkw or more. The big port head may just offer a bit more flow in a more extreme setup (in theory).

For interest, my 4AGTE runs the big port head, and makes over 170rwkw, my brothers 4AGTE runs the bigport head also and makes over 200rwkw.

So the moral of the story is, if you've got the big port head then use it. If you have got the small port head then give that a go and tell us what results you get.

Out of interest what setup are you aiming for i.e. something nice and quick on the street? a laggy dyno beast?? a track/drift car?? or a drag car?? or just something fairly competent at everything??

Cheers.
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Small Port or large? Mon, 26 July 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow man thanks for ya help. I am aiming to build something that will be quite quick and to have fun with drifting and street driven also. Sounds like the big port is the way to go. I thiught it may be. The reason i was shying away from that is the age of the big port motors. But i am lead to believe that a head transplant is a simple bolt off bolt on affair. Cheers and thanks again. Very Happy
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: Small Port or large? Tue, 27 July 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
within reason, 'cause you should get your head planed, to make sure it's flat, you don't wanna risk it. i wouldn't risk it, 'cause it'd be a pain in the arse t fix if something goes wrong. Sad
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Small Port or large? Tue, 27 July 2004 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jezza,

My personal opinion is that bigport is better, but it may be splitting hairs. I don't reckon it would be worth a head swap if you already have a good smallport head on the engine. Both will get your volli-zik-a-leh sprinter going fast, and there are other cheaper and easier mods you can do for better performance.

But I'm sure we'll discuss it at length some other time.

Hen
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Small Port or large? Tue, 27 July 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Henn or is it rooster...?

I mean at the end of the day u should know that all i really want to know is if i can fit more rice in the big port head or the small. Your feedback will be much anticipated. Cheers Chicken henn. Jezza Very Happy Laughing
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Small Port or large? Tue, 27 July 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most ppl say bigport as they are after the highest peak power from the motor so they can brag that they have 'X'kw..

if you are after response and all around drivability, i'm gonna stir the pot and say smallport.

less peak power, more power everywhere else due to higher port velocity?

remember, port size is a restriction at WOT and highest rpm, but under that, the port is flowing below it's potential..

it's all pissin in the wind until someone does back to back engine dyno tests Wink

Cya, Stewart
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Small Port or large? Tue, 27 July 2004 07:59 Go to previous message
Cheers stewart, Thanks for your opinion and i do agree with you on what u have said. I think that by the looks of things i will take what i can get!? Rolling
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:accelerator cable
Next Topic:4age or 4agze conversions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 04:50:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052361488342285 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.