Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sunny310
Occasional Poster

April 2003
1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Sun, 01 August 2004 03:05 Go to next message
HI guys,

Hopefully I'm not asking questions that've been asked a thousand times before. I've been doing a fair bit of searching... yet still have some questions regarding the 1jz MX83 conversion.

The story begins:

My 7m auto has just sh@t itself. I limped it to my mechanic, he has advised: the g/box is shot, the headgasket is on its way out, and I also have a broken engine mount.

Not wanting to touch the 7m + auto (can't justify the expense), I'm sizing up a 1jz conversion, but will only proceed if the conversion is relatively simple...... .. famous last words

I have
a) access to a workshop + mechanic (free of charge)
b) a desire for twinturbo goodness
c) limited time
d) limited dollars

QUESTIONS
1. Am I chasing preferably a JZX81 or JZX90 Chaser 1/2cut?

2. Do I swap the complete Chaser ECU&Loom into the cressida? Is this relatively easy to do - by someone qualified to do it?
2a. I plan to upgrade to an aftermarket ECU at a later date - should I just got aftermarket ECU first time?
2b. If I went aftermarket ecu... I'd need the ecu to control the 1jz g/box... So.. It'd probably be easiest to adapt the Chaser loom, then go aftermarket ECU later??

3. Will I need to swap the 7m g/box speedo sensor into the 1jz g/box?
4. I have a 1 piece tailshaft (I've replaced the stocko as it too died), will it bolt straight up with the 1jz auto?
5. Will the g/box crossmembers line up?
6. Will the stock fuelpump be upto the task of supplying fuel?
7. Is there anything else I'm not considering?

Basically, I want a tidy stock conversion to get the car up and running again.

Thanks for any advice Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Sun, 01 August 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Preferrably a JZX81 definitely. Nod

Sunny310
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Sun, 01 August 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers. Another snippet f info I've found is this:

..basically, if you buy a 1JZ front cut from the equivalent Chaser, then all you need to do is use the chaser loom. apparently in the 7MGE cressida (MX83??) the loom is a direct plug in swap.

Can anyone prove/disprove this comment?
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Sun, 01 August 2004 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To my knowledge the wiring is the bigest pain in the arse... Most people recommend sending both the JZX81 and MX83 looms to sixworks and they will adapt them to suit the conversion. It will cost you, I think, $500-$600 but will make the wiring plug and play.

If you try to do the wiring by yourself, you will most likely stuff it up or make a mess of it. It is the mechanical stuff that is bolt in without mods (mostly). Smile

Note: I haven't done the conversion but have looked into it.

Click here for more sources of info.
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Sun, 01 August 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You say you have limited dollars..
Just how limited are you ??

Not trying to be smart, but if you want to do a conversion like this - you should do it properly, or not at all.

If you are hoping to get away with it for about $3,000 - then spend $1,000 and buy a wrecker warranty 7MGE and AutoBox and drop it straight in - No mess, no fuss.

Budget at least $5,000 to do a 1JZ conversion properly - that's if you don't have to pay for any labour.

What month / year model is your Cressida as the early models require the cross member to be swapped over with the JZX81 to make it a straight bolt in using the factory engine mounts.

Remember to allow for things like..

New Exhaust System
New HP Fuel Pump / Fuel Lines
New Engine Mounts
Timing Belt
Radiator Hoses / Heater Hoses etc
Fan Belts
Oil, Oil Filter
Spark Plugs
Air Filter / Pod Filter
Transmission Fluid / Service
Power Steering Fluid
Coolant
Air Conditioning Re-Gas
as well as Engineer Costs to get it approved.

That's not touching brakes aor suspension, boost guage, Turbo timer, the wiring loom, aftermarket Intercooler or a blow off valve or any repairs the front cut engine needs if so required..

Trust me.. as I have discovered - the costs soon add up.

samdowning
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Sun, 01 August 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Sun, 01 August 2004 16:17

If you try to do the wiring by yourself, you will most likely stuff it up or make a mess of it. It is the mechanical stuff that is bolt in without mods (mostly). Smile Click here for more sources of info.

i think this could be a bit of a defeatist attitude, so long as you have access to the wiring diagrams for both cars and can use a soldering iron anyone should be able to do it whith out too much trouble. bear in mind that when you look at a whole wiring loom it looks a very daunting task because of the sheer volume of wires, but if you take it one thing at a time each individual sytem is relatively simple, especially if you have the diagrams. without wiring diagrams its a whole new ball game, you'd need a very intimate knowledge of each sensor system etc. but it could still be nutted out it would just take a long time working out what goes to where. i am speaking from a position of experience on this subject, not with the particular conversion you're doing, but i've done all the wiring in my own car which is an s13 180 with an s14 motor, sounds a simple enough swap but the looms are totally different and required splicing the two looms, i've also helped my brother wire up a 3t-gte into an XT celica.

i'm not suggesting that it'd be a small job but i'm just saying there's no need to get too discouraged... it can be done, and it can be done by someone of limited experience so long as you have the relevant info going in.

cheers, and good luck,
sam
samdowning
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Sun, 01 August 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one other thing, if you do it yourself you'll have a very intimate knowledge of the wiring afterward which'll be very helpful when it comes to trouble shooting wiring related problem... which will need to be done at some stage, and also it'll help for you to wire up the after market ECU when the time comes which'll save you another few hundred dollars later on. (also something i've done in my own car, in fact i made myself an adaptor loom so i can swap it for the stock computer later on).
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Sun, 01 August 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was not saying it wasn't possible to do it yourself. I was saying that most people would be better off getting someone who's done this exact thing before to do it for the following reasons.

- they can do it quicker... much quicker.
- you will be far less likely to experience any problems with wiring in the future due to it being done professionally.
- they can find and fix problems that you wont find on your diagrams.
- they will give a warranty.
- it will be neater, they will know how to make it fit nicely ie: the right lengths to cut things.

I realise that doing it yourself will force you to learn more and will save you money. If you want it to look neat and tidy and have less teething troubles then I'd still go with a professional like sixworks.
cseufert
Occasional Poster

October 2002

Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Sun, 01 August 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another one, anyhow, Tailshaft will need to be modded, the gearbox extension housing "may" need to be changed, if you have ABS and want to keep it.

The speedo from the 91~92 model will work with the vss impulse from the chaser sender, but for a 89~90 model, it will require either getting a pass-thru cable sender, or "hacking in" a 91~92 dash, or the one from the chaser (if its X8x)

by "hacking in" i am implying that there is a substiantial change in the wiring between these 2 models, so a fair bit of custom wiring is required.

Next, there is the ECU wiring, in its simplest form, you need battery power, ignition power, temp sender, engine check light, oil light, charge light & tacho impulse connected.

Then theres the AC, and climate controll stuff, this is where you sort out the men from the boys. Wiring gets substiantially more complex.

If you can get wiring diagrams of the JZX-81, then your in business, providing either you can read Jap, or they have been transated by someone. Without wiring diagrams, you gonna spend days going through the loom in the 1/2 cut with an Ohm meter, because the wiring colours dont line up, and its not a direct plug in, between chaser & cressida looms anywhere (that im aware of).

The fuel pump will be fine, if you dont run more than the factory level of boost, etc.

Buy i would seriously consider getting someone who has done a 1JZ into cressida wiring job before, to do yours, will save u lots of time.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Sun, 01 August 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the engine side of wiring aint tooo hard but it does take time

the hard part is gettin everything else to work

and also try9in to make it neat
they way i do it makes the job look std

i have wired a 1jz auto into cressidas and the job takes about 10 hrs to do

so if u dont know what to do it might take much longer

and the people who say thats its only batt ign temp oil tacho etc

i wish every job was like that
i am always fixing other peoples fukups due to them thinkin its only 4 or 5 wires

the hardest part of the job is the drawings
Sunny310
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Mon, 02 August 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the in-depth replies Very Happy

The car is a 7/90 MX83 GLX.

For the record, I've previously done an engine conversion into a Datsun Sunny, so I know about all the little hidden things that pop up throughout the course of a conversion - particularly DODGY ECU WIRING (caused by someone else) Mad . I don't plan on touching the wiring myself.

Quote:

Southo - Not trying to be smart, but if you want to do a conversion like this - you should do it properly, or not at all.

Couldnt agree more- I learnt that the hard way from my Datsun..

Limited dollars - I'm thinking around 6k.. BUT, saying that, I'd be leaving EVERYTHING stock (boost/intercooler etc) until the car had been running smoothly and any little issues have been fixed. All bolt-in stuff 'should' be easily done (labour free), the wiring will be left to someone capable.

The brakes have recently been replaced, same with the radiator.

How does the aircon/power steering etc bolt up??? Any problems?

The Chaser crossmember should bolt right in? Same with the gearbox x-member or will this need fabricating?

Any other suggestions?? I just like to be as best prepared as I can be.

Cheers!!

BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Mon, 02 August 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am in the process of doing exactly the same conversion. However, I am a step ahead of you, as I already have a JZX81 half cut sitting in the shed Smile

1. Am I chasing preferably a JZX81 or JZX90 Chaser 1/2cut?

I would recommend a JZX81, if you can get one in good nick. These are (mechanically) a bolt-in swap for the MX83. Literally a weekends work. JZX90/100 are more likely to be a good motor, but there is more work to be done getting them to fit (cut/weld engine mounts, etc IIRC).

2. Do I swap the complete Chaser ECU&Loom into the cressida? Is this relatively easy to do - by someone qualified to do it?

Yes and no - the chaser loom (JZX81) will nearly plug into the MX83. You need to remove (unpin) 2 of the plugs that interface to the body loom, and repin them into the corresponding plugs salvaged from the Cressida loom. The other plugs need repinning too. Following the wiring diagrams should enable you to do this yourself, judging by the level of competence you have expressed. PM me if you have trouble tracking down some diagrams.

That being said, I am still seriously undecided as to whether I will do mine myself or hand it to an expert with a cheque for $600!!

2a. I plan to upgrade to an aftermarket ECU at a later date - should I just got aftermarket ECU first time?

No benefit that I can see - make it cheap'n'easy for now, once it is running ok, start fiddling Smile

3. Will I need to swap the 7m g/box speedo sensor into the 1jz g/box?

Sort of - I assume your MX83, like mine, has a mechanical speedo. Use the MX83 speedo cable in place of the JZX81 electronic sensor. The speedo itself has a pulse generator that you can feed back into the ECU - via SP1 in the wiring loom.

4. I have a 1 piece tailshaft (I've replaced the stocko as it too died), will it bolt straight up with the 1jz auto?

Probably - I have been told that the stock tailshaft will bolt straight up, so assuming yours is the same length, it should be fine.

5. Will the g/box crossmembers line up?

Should do, if not the one from the half-cut will be a bolt-on for the MX83.

6. Will the stock fuelpump be upto the task of supplying fuel?

Barely. I ordered a high pressure 255 ltr/hr Walbro unit from the USA - should cost you under AUD$200 landed here, and it is a straight swap for the in-tank pump in the MX83. PM me for details if you need them.

7. Is there anything else I'm not considering?

Probably, but nothing major that no-one else hasn't mentioned. I suspect your hardest part will be finding a decent JZX81 half cut. That being said, CelicaMad was selling a pranged cressida with a 1JZ in here very recently - would be an ideal and reasonably economical option for you. Take a look:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=40296&start=0&rid=&S=c3798c8bc64569c bf1b3b2f2a68c392e

Cheers. Another snippet f info I've found is this:

..basically, if you buy a 1JZ front cut from the equivalent Chaser, then all you need to do is use the chaser loom. apparently in the 7MGE cressida (MX83??) the loom is a direct plug in swap.

Can anyone prove/disprove this comment?

Dunno about disprove, but it sounds mighty optomistic to me Smile

The brakes have recently been replaced, same with the radiator.

Pity - the half cut should come with another radiator, but no reason not to use your newer one. Similarly, the brakes on the JZX81 are being bolted into my MX83 - bigger pads and rotors can't hurt!

How does the aircon/power steering etc bolt up??? Any problems?

Looks like an easy-peasy mix-and-match job to me, apparently the plates from the cressida hoses will fit the chaser A/C comp, or you can switch over all the chaser gear which will be R134A, rather than the Cressidas adapted gear. The JZX81 power steering has a solenoid, apparently for speed sensitivity or something. There is a box under the ECU that looks like it controls it, but I haven't quite figured that out the wiring yet - I reckon I'll move it over as a unit and see what happens!

The Chaser crossmember should bolt right in? Same with the gearbox x-member or will this need fabricating?

Will all fit just fine. You will be amased at how 'identical' the two cars are when you sit the JZX81 next to the MX83!

That'll do from me for now!! There is probably more, so ask away if you feel the need.

Disclaimer - my conversion is a work in progress, so some bits are 'hard fact' while the rest are 'pretty rigid', cos I've researched them thoroughly and confirmed as best I can with the MX83 and the JZX81 sitting in front of me!

Cheers,
Adam.

[Updated on: Mon, 02 August 2004 07:47]

cseufert
Occasional Poster

October 2002

Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Mon, 02 August 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pity - the half cut should come with another radiator, but no reason not to use your newer one. Similarly, the brakes on the JZX81 are being bolted into my MX83 - bigger pads and rotors can't hurt!

Yer, altho the brake upgrade is not a requirement to get it engineered (that im aware of), its a good idea, until you want to buy pads here in aus, then your gonna be either ripped off something chronic from Toyota, or have to import pads from Japan.

on www.mx83.com theres a link for an adapter plate to fit MKIII supra discs (300mm) and callipers on the MX-83, and theres also another upgrade involving Ford BA rotors (300mm ish) & Nissan 300ZX Callipers (4-Pot), this one is supposed to bolt up (if i got it right). These will offer better availability for pads, but you'll need 16" rims to clear both of those setups on the front. (and dont forget about the spare either.

Theres also another guy on www.toyotacressida.com who's put the big HSV brakes on his V8 Cressy, there 330mm rotors i think, and that bought him upto a minimum of 17" rims.

And sideshow i was trying to demonstrate that the engine is not the hard part, its all the ancillary stuff that takes the time and effort to get working. Although a JZX-81 1/2cut will make life alot simpler, than say a JZX-90 or 100.

And you'll realy need to upgrade the exhaust system, or you'll be buying CAT's monthly (from what ive heard)
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Mon, 02 August 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another thing which might cause a prob
and once i get some spare time is to check the abs sensors

the 1j gbox has 4 pulses i think on the abs sensor

the 7m gbox has 32 pulses for the abs sensor i think

so if u have a cressida grande then the abs is abit of work

i have heard u need to change the abs ring gear in the back of the gbox if u want the abs to work
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Tue, 03 August 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So, sideshow, does that mean that the ABS is only 3 channel, or that there are 5 sensors overall - 4 x wheel and 1 x speed?

I've never really worked on ABS before.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Tue, 03 August 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the rear abs sensor os on the back of the gbox
it measures rear wheel speed
3 channel on grande cressidas

i dont think the cressidas have sensors on all 4 wheels
as its an early abs system

but i might be wrong

but from what i know the cressiuda grande that came out with abs has 32 teeth on the abs sensor on the 7mge gbox

this is what i was told

and i think the 1j auto has 4 pulses on the abs

the cressida has 3 wire abs sensor

the 1j has 2 wire abs sensor (usually unless theres a model i dont know of)

this wrong number of signalsmakes the abs ligkt come on the dash

not to sure if the abs works properly

so if u want the abs u need to check the number of pulses and also the type of abs sensor

ill figure it out one day on my friends 1j which i wired up 3 yrs ago
just dont domuch mechannical work these days and hard to find spare time to do the testing

[Updated on: Tue, 03 August 2004 10:09]

BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Tue, 03 August 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, that's interesting.

I was thinking from the point of view that my Cressida doesn't have ABS, but the Chaser donor does, and perhaps it could be moved across. But I didn't want to have to find rear wheels with ABS sensors, etc., so I forgot the idea.

But a 3 channel would certainly be a simpler proposition.

However, my Chaser had traction control (which would be nice to have too), but I wonder if that relies on a 4 ch ABS system, or just compares front-wheel speed to the avearage rear-whel speed?
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Tue, 03 August 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
swappin everything over can be easy if its a straight fit

but stuff like abs can always turn to shit

sometimes if u get small problems they could take ages to diagnose

same with traction control
usually traction control aint as good as its suppose to be
depending how traction control is contlled it might make engine bog down too much

some traction control units use abs ecu aswell
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Tue, 03 August 2004 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know that to get around the ABS problem with my conversion (Aristo 2JZGTE and Auto) we had to swap the rear of the gearboxes over. Ie, the Aristo front end with the Cressida rear casing and ABS sensor. I had this done by "The Transmission Centre" in Wetherill Park NSW who did the whole lot. (pulled apart both transmissions, swapped over all te required gear and then put the hybrid transmission back together after a check over. This also solved the tailshaft mounting problem with the standard JZS147 / JZX81 do-nut and gearbox mounts.. they all bolted straight up without any problems.
SkiDMaN
Regular

June 2002

Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Wed, 04 August 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far as i know... the traction control is controlled by a seperate butterfly found just before the throttle body....

and in the jzx81's im sure u can pull the fuse for it and it disables it... so u could run a switch to the cabin and be able to turn it on and of

kill me if im wrong Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Wed, 04 August 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I disabled my traction control by unplugging the servo on the throttle body; there didn't appear to be any negative side-effects from doing this. I guess you could acheive the same result by using a switch, but who wants traction control anyway? If you have decent tyres and an LSD you're never going to break traction unless you're trying to.
Sunny310
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Wed, 04 August 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geez!! Thanks a lot for the replies Very Happy I really appreciate the help!

I've got some MORE questions...

I've found a JZX81 1/2 cut - although its got an oil pressure problem, BUT, the supplier can give me a Soarer 1JZ with the Chaser 1/2 cut, and said I can swap the sump from the dud motor to the good motor. The only thing is, I'm just a bit hesitant that everything will swap over fine.

Are the sumps/ oil pickups/ flywheels different from the Chaser 1JZ to the Soarer 1JZ?

Obviously the oil pickup is going to be different, will it take much (if possible) to swap the Chaser oil pickup to the Soarer Engine???

The Chaser is missing the control arms, this shouldn't be a problem for the conversion should it?

Cheers!
SkiDMaN
Regular

June 2002

Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Wed, 04 August 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahahaha

im recently looking at that same cut Wink

and he offered me the same thing... soarer motor sitting on the floor plus cut then swap everything over and give him back the old stuff... i just dunno about the wiring loom plugs and stuff all hooking up correctly and im trying to find another cut cause i dont think i can get a motor that i cant hear running.

that cut also has a bad oil leak around the sump area
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Wed, 04 August 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sunny310 wrote on Wed, 04 August 2004 14:01

Are the sumps/ oil pickups/ flywheels different from the Chaser 1JZ to the Soarer 1JZ?

Obviously the oil pickup is going to be different, will it take much (if possible) to swap the Chaser oil pickup to the Soarer Engine???

It's all interchangeable. You won't have any dramas.
Quote:

The Chaser is missing the control arms, this shouldn't be a problem for the conversion should it?

No.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Wed, 04 August 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SkiDMaN wrote on Wed, 04 August 2004 14:04

hahahahaha

im recently looking at that same cut Wink

and he offered me the same thing... soarer motor sitting on the floor plus cut then swap everything over and give him back the old stuff... i just dunno about the wiring loom plugs and stuff all hooking up correctly and im trying to find another cut cause i dont think i can get a motor that i cant hear running.

that cut also has a bad oil leak around the sump area

was the cut have the cam covers off? cause there was joint in brisbane that were running the jzx81 cut with the cam covers off Surprised

i can remember the name of the shop but im pretty sure it had 3 letters as part of its name.. u work it out Razz
SkiDMaN
Regular

June 2002

Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Wed, 04 August 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahah yeah bud thats the one

he started it for a few secs with the cam cover of

atleast he was honest about it having low oil pressure
seem like ok guys...

but ive been ringing around and i found a place that has a few jzx81 cuts coming in so im ganna wait a few weeks and check them out
Sunny310
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Wed, 04 August 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahah small world Wink

When I visited them I coulda sworn I smelt smoke coming from their office Wink

I was a bit suss on that spare soarer engine too... and I want to know why the turbos were missing.

Wanna let me know where these other Chaser 1/2 cuts can be located Smile
SkiDMaN
Regular

June 2002

Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Wed, 04 August 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if i told u i would have to kill u Very Happy

ive been searching for some for about 1 month

that front cut would have been mine if it was good... even had the cash in my pocket ready to hand over... pm me and i will tell ya where these cuts are coming in

oh and also where bouts u located?
and are u doing the conversion urself? cuase i will be

if we get our wiring done at the same time and at the same place it might be cheaper Wink
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Wed, 04 August 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys i wil be in qld for indy
and prob staying back for a week

i will be there from oct 19 to say nov 3rd or so

if you need wiring jobs done just let me know

Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Fri, 06 August 2004 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sunny,

A few answers that may be of help:

I have never swapped the whole harness but have known a few guys who have. Very time consuming as you need to pull the whole loom from the half-cut, pull the whole loom from the MX83 (which also means stripping most of the dash) and then replanting the JZX harness into the Cressida. From memory most connectors plugged in but the general comment was doing this way was a pain. All who did it also then had problems with fuel sender incompatibility. Remember too that the JZX81 came in both Chaser and Mark II variations so there may some differences between them. You'll also be able to use the digi dash if you do it this way too.

Do not attempt to simply plug the 1J engine loom into the Cressida plugs. If you have a look at my website and open the JZX81 and MX83 connector block pdfs you'll see that apart from one plug, they are not compatible. I have sold a number of replacement ecus to guys who did it that way.

As someone mentioned, if you send me both looms I can send you back what is almost a complete plug-in. Part of what I do is remove the connector from the 7MGE ECU board and graft it onto JZX81 loom so you can plug it in to the original connector under the Cressida dash. Cost is less than $600 but I will provide more details when I email you. If I get a chance over the weekend I'll put some photos on the site.

Speedo compatibility is not an issue. In later Grande models the 1J speedo sender will talk to the Cressida electronic speedo and those with cables can be interchanged with the 1J speedo ouput. Not a problem either way. ABS is compatible between the Cressida and JZX81 provided of course the Cressida has ABS. If not then you can swap the sensor and rotor over from the 7MG box.

Hope that helps.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 August 2004 05:34]

BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Sat, 07 August 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant wrote on Fri, 06 August 2004 15:33

Part of what I do is remove the connector from the 7MGE ECU board and graft it onto JZX81 loom so you can plug it in to the original connector under the Cressida dash.

Hi Grant,

Maybe I am being a bit dense (this is new?!?!), but if we are using the JZX81 ECU, why is this step required? That is, what signals are we dealing with here?

Edit: I'm at home and the MX83 is in the workshop, but do I recall correctly that here is a flying lead from the 7MGE ECU? Is that the one you are talking about?

Cheers,
Adam. (Who would send both his harnesses to Grant in a flash if it wasn't such a PITA to remove them from the engines ...)

[Updated on: Sat, 07 August 2004 02:05]

Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Sat, 07 August 2004 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, it's the ecu lead under the Cressy dash I'm talking about. Usually you have to cut the wires from the 7MGE plug (under the dash) and join them to the corresponding 1J wires. The way I do it, I use the original ecu connector so you can simply plug it back under the dash.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 August 2004 22:29]

cseufert
Occasional Poster

October 2002

Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Wed, 11 August 2004 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sideshow,

Just for you info,

The ABS in the Grande's is 3 Channel, uses a 4 wire sensor (not sure why), and is 32 pulses per rev. They all came standard with LSD (probably to get away with 3 Channel).

The 89~90 use a cable driven speedo, where as the 91~92 (only ones available with ABS), came with a cableless (electonic) speedo setup. Also the dash from the 2 models cannot be simply unplugged and swapped over, there wired up differently, with a different number of connectors on the back.

And Traction control relies on the ABS sensors (and maybe also an output from the ABS computer).

Oh, and the 89~90 has this 3 wire 1 pulse per rev speed sender in the gearbox, next to the cable output, i think its just for the Gearbox part of the ECU.

Btw, does anyone have the supplement for the Chassis & Body Manual for the MX-83, with the ABS & Updated wiring?
Mainly looking for photocopies of the wiring.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Wed, 11 August 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is a 3 wire sensor

the fourth wire does a loop
i already know that it has 32 pulses

this is the std cressida setup

if u want to get abs workin on the 1j conversion

u need to get this setup to be same on the 1j

the 1j has 3 wire abs sensor im pretty sure
but i think the 1j has 4 pulses not 32

usually abs and traction are same sensors and sometimes on same ecu

manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Thu, 02 September 2004 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have an american 92 toyota mx83 manual but no scanner.I have been searching for this very info as I have 92 grande and wish to keep abs with the 1j conversion.I have been comparing info and diagrams in my manual with those available on the net on jza70 sites as this is my donor front cut.
To complicate matters further I am going manual.Both books use the same diagram of the sensor rotor [a pic of an auto] the only difference being that in the jza70 book it has A340E and R154 printed in the diagram box.
I still pray to the toyota gods nightly until such time as I am physically able to count the sensor wheels teeth but its looking good.
We are lucky to have Jim from sideshow and Grant from sixworks available to help with these projects [commercially] I have heard plenty of good things about these guys.Jim is doing mine.
Cheers.Pete.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Thu, 02 September 2004 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to make it sound simplke here is what u need to do

what ever sensor is in yr car originally b4 the conversion

u need to use it

u need the same teeth on the gear too as original

so whatever it takes to do that then do it

if the sensors look the same with same amount of wires then all u need is to get the number of teeth right
SoarerFury
Regular

April 2004

Re: 1JZ MX83 Cressida.... questions... ?? Thu, 02 September 2004 23:40 Go to previous message
hey !

im just in the process of getting my 7m gte! fixed for a headgasket at a performace workshop, doing all the head stuff at the same place, saves money Smile
the heads off there.. put it back together today
its costing me a total of around $1000, because i got all the parts myself, racing gaskets and arp bolts.
f*ck those hoses are a bitch to find!

::: did the 7M GTE and the 7M GE share the same vacaum hose layout??

::: What torque is recommend? 75 ib/torque or something right??? instead of the factory torque of 52 ?
i need to know.. the mechanic needs to know! today!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze help
Next Topic:100kw bottom end swap
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 3 08:33:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057368278503418 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.