Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Standard comp test results for 4AGE 16V

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Standard comp test results for 4AGE 16V Tue, 03 August 2004 13:02 Go to next message
Hello all,

Not a question, just a discussion really

A strange and possibly exciting thing Rex came across last week...

Work landed its container the other week so as you can guess it fell to Rex to leak and comp test all the engines. Among many there are two 20 Valves Black and Silver and a 16 Valve small/bigport hybrid.

Upon comp testing the 20 Valves they made approx 200 to 210psi from memory with very good leakdown figures.

The 16 Valve on the other hand with only 2 compression cycles cranked right off the dial (250psi max) and a very respectable 30 - 35% Leakdown. Not once, but repeatedly, all three times it was re-tested. Given these results, the fact that the manual says 179psi and the three puck brass TRD clutch and 3kg flywheel hanging off the back makes rex think that it may not be standard at all.

Have pulled sump and cam covers off but beyond that checking for goodies without dismantling the whole thing is difficult and quite honestly not worth it from a business point of view.

Just as a a starting/reference point whats the relationship between a compression test result and the compression ratio? He knows what each are but if CR has a large worthy effect on test results he would like to discuss.

Rex

Send a private message to this user    
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Standard comp test results for 4AGE 16V Tue, 03 August 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a question Rex. How did you do the comp test. It sounds like you have bare motors. What was the quickest way- do you hook them up to an ECU etc.

What did you use for leakdown, or maybe I'll search on the method Smile

Anyway I was searching this and found that the Comp ratio is pretty closely related to the cylinder comp..maybe. I found a couple of sites with turbo and N/A figures. Usually turbo model has say 8 to 1 instead of 9 to 1 and the cylinder comp considered normal was about 20 PSI lower on the turbo (low comp engine)..if I remember correctly. But then again the blue top and red top differ in comp ratio by about about the same and accoding to manual they should have same cylinder comp Confused

Seems logical though that the 2 should be related..

My 4AGE (blue top)..stock (never had head off) had readings of 200,200,220,220. I'm not sure why so high, but I think maybe a bit of carbon build up (doesn't ping though). Can't think of anything else.

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Standard comp test results for 4AGE 16V Tue, 03 August 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
off topic - but is said 16v for sale rex?
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Standard comp test results for 4AGE 16V Tue, 03 August 2004 14:10 Go to previous message
Yep all engine packages without engine bays. Some came as front cuts but no toyota's.

Setup is as follows, no need for ECU etc:

You will need: Charged battery, jumper leads and a small section of wire preferably alligator cliped at both ends.

Connect positive to back of starter and negative to a good metal place on the engine. Then one end of small length of wire to starter switch (usually a spade terminal on the back of the starter) to spin the engine simply touch the other end of the wire to positive terminal. Of course there is the small matter of the Compression gauge too Smile.

Make sure sump has oil and depending on how long the engine has been sitting, it is recommended to pre-lube it first.

Leakdown test, we have a gauge which when placed in spark plug hole, hooked to air line and calibrated gives the result. Essentially it measures the rate at which the compressed air is lost from the cylinder. Simple to do really, just need the equipment and a quick lesson.

As for the CR and CT relationship, Rex would think the CR of the engine would definately have an effect. But how much and if it could be used to ballpark the CR is a different matter.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 August 2004 14:14]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:5M-E Oil Sender Thread Size
Next Topic:TA22 auto choke with extractors help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 06:46:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11130809783936 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.