Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mr_Bob
Newcomer

September 2002
the new corolla's Wed, 25 September 2002 02:04 Go to next message
(first post here, so bear with me:))
the new corolla has been out for a little while now,
i'm looking at buying one, any problems that you guys know of?
any opinions/reviews?
anyone here own one?

also, anyone heard when the Matrix is coming out in Oz?
  Send a private message to this user    
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: the new corolla's Wed, 25 September 2002 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon u should forget the Corolla and hang out for the Ford Focus.
Mr_Bob
Newcomer

September 2002
Re: the new corolla's Wed, 25 September 2002 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any idea when that's due, or a price?
my limit is $20,000 including on road, the corolla is a bit of a stretch already.
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: the new corolla's Wed, 25 September 2002 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to autospeed.com and read their review of the Corolla Levin Seca. Basically it gives it the thumbs down for excitment. Big thumbs up for whitegood on wheels.

Try all the Euro cars (Focus, Astra, Clio, 206, Xsara, Polo - Yes, some are out of the price range but just try them for the hell of it) and then try a Corolla or any Japanese car. You'll notice the difference as soon as you turn the steering wheel.

Not waving my Astra flag but do have a look at the Astra 3 door Equipe. Very well appointed with the goodies for the price. Dealers are hurting badly with low sales number so now is the time to twist their arms. More so Toyota dealers because of the arrangement they have with the Toyota Australia.

Problems with the Toyotas in general, high service cost but high reliability. If you want to know what is a common problem with the Astra, PM me. All covered by warranty thankfully.
Mr_Bob
Newcomer

September 2002
Re: the new corolla's Wed, 25 September 2002 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will do, thanks for that,
the corolla looked ilke it had good power to weight ratio for the price. about 10kg/kW which is ~30% better than my mirage.

i guess if i can't get it round a corner, the extra power is going to be useless Sad
i'd get it lowered within a week of buying it probably.
i'll drive one and see.

the rest of my shortlist is:
barina SRi 92kW ~1150kg
new mirage 69kW 935kg
323 astina (not sure)

Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: the new corolla's Wed, 25 September 2002 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes Bob. It's due mid next week (October 1). prices start around 22k so I guess it's out of your budget anyway unless you can work out a trade in deal.

They got a nifty little website http://www.fordfocus.com.au and there's a direct link to the Ford Australia site for pricing and options. The 2.0 Zetec models look alright. They'll be at the show so I'll make sure I check em out.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: the new corolla's Wed, 25 September 2002 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remember hearing and reading somewhere "pommie car mag" that the Zetec engines where not that flash! However I think this was in the Mondeo's from about 4-5 years ago....they might have changed! Rolling Eyes
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: the new corolla's Wed, 25 September 2002 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, they could be right. Plus they'll probably be detuned to tolerate our 3rd world petrol too Sad
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: the new corolla's Wed, 25 September 2002 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr_Bob wrote on Wed, 25 September 2002 17:40

the rest of my shortlist is:
barina SRi 92kW ~1150kg
new mirage 69kW 935kg
323 astina (not sure)

I did try the Barina SRi, goes very well but if FWD burnouts is your thing, then don't bother. Traction control whilst doesn't deter from a bit of fun, is quite handy especially in wet conditions.

Handles nicely, very rigid structurally and goes very well with a large engine in a small car. The 92kW is on 91 octane. You get about 95kW on Optimax and there is a real difference especially down low. I run 98 octane on my Astra.

Only problem is finding them as there is a waiting list for these.

Gosh, I sound like a salesman. I better stop.
Mr_Bob
Newcomer

September 2002
Re: the new corolla's Wed, 25 September 2002 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eeep. the Zetec is $26990 RRP, (probably before on road costs)
that's not going to happen Sad
the CL and Lx models are 5 door, which i'm not much of a fan of.

everyone keeps telling me the Barina is a chick's car, but i recon it could look pretty good, especially as i could stuff 18's on it legally Very Happy (probably take a bit of work to make em fit tho)
plus if it looks like a chicks car i get less police attention (until i put 18's on it Smile )

i think i'm being too difficult,
if only Audi would make the S3 affordable for me Smile
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: the new corolla's Wed, 25 September 2002 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Barina has become more masculine since the last model though. Less so the SRi. Btw, if you like the traditional clicking blinker noise, you'll hate the beeper that's in the Barina. Smile
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: the new corolla's Wed, 25 September 2002 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ST170 models look interesting. They come out early next year.

http://www.fordfocus.com.au/home/model_st170

That might kick toyota into doing something more ambitious with the corolla and the 140kw 2ZZ-GE. Whatever they do, it'll be out of my price range that's for sure.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 September 2002 20:22] by Moderator

Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: the new corolla's Wed, 25 September 2002 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit. hey Nark, could u fix up my url link please?
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: the new corolla's Thu, 26 September 2002 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$20,000 you could do something up pretty sweet! Very Happy Razz

nice engine conversion etc... eheh
Mr_Bob
Newcomer

September 2002
Re: the new corolla's Thu, 26 September 2002 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true, if the new car idea falls through, which is a possibility, there'll be an awesome mini panel van uner construction.
$20K should build a decent mini Cool
Mr_Bob
Newcomer

September 2002
Re: the new corolla's Mon, 30 September 2002 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks fellas,
i drove the corolla yesterday, what a mess!!
although it has more power than teh astina, it didn't wanna go, drove like a shopping trolley.
astina had a nice firm ride, very nice to drive.
just gotta con the bank manager now.
gti23q
Regular

July 2002
Re: the new corolla's Tue, 08 October 2002 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyota is releasing a 3dr T Sport (may be called Sportivo here) with the @ZZ-Ge...prob is it's expected to weight around 1250Kg which is similar to a 200sx but with 100Nm less torque and FWD...it should be at the show. Most overseas reviews have said its awesome except one which criticied the hell out of it.
MathewWent
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: the new corolla's Tue, 08 October 2002 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woohoo hey Mr Bob CAA ROX
AE92_Hatzi
Regular

May 2002

Re: the new corolla's Tue, 08 October 2002 12:21 Go to previous message
I'm sure that in last months wheels or motor magazine it stated that Toyota will be bringing out a corolla with the celica motor in it. The peugeot 206 GTi 180 would be awsome though Peugeot 206 GTi 180

[Updated on: Tue, 08 October 2002 12:32]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Looking for .. Quick Shifter for Celica 5 speed
Next Topic:punk fans look in
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 8 00:13:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.095042943954468 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.