Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
4AGE PCV help/opinions Sat, 07 August 2004 13:15 Go to next message
I have posted this before and i got nowhere withit, been doing other stuff and know this is the last thing.

4AGE had a standard rebuild 12,000kms ago, nothing out of the ordinary till one day the motor started hissing/whistling for no apparent reason at idle.

Found out that in the cam cover there was "vacumm" (please dont confuss this with pressure) turns out that the inlet manifold is sucking more air/blowby then there is available creating vacumm, and the hissing/whislty sound was coming from the rear or the motor down near the flywheel, open oil cap when motor is running and it sounds like your openeing the radiator cap when its hot, but its not letting air out its letting it in. If i remove the pcv hose and block the hole on the inlet manifold the hissing/whistling stops.

My question is, how/why/what is causing this.

Should i run a pcv valve from a different car.
  Send a private message to this user    
2tg-ta22
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 4AGE PCV help/opinions Sat, 07 August 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it sounds like ur pcv valve could be blocked.... but if theres a vacume in there shouldnt there also be a vacume in ur crank case etc cos its not really sealed... just run ur pipe from ur pcv out into under the guard if that fixes the problem... i think this one might be a hard one to give advise on without the car infront of me
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4AGE PCV help/opinions Sat, 07 August 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2tg-ta22 wrote on Sat, 07 August 2004 23:27

it sounds like ur pcv valve could be blocked.... but if theres a vacume in there shouldnt there also be a vacume in ur crank case etc cos its not really sealed... just run ur pipe from ur pcv out into under the guard if that fixes the problem... i think this one might be a hard one to give advise on without the car infront of me

Im already doing that with the hose, and yes it fixed the hissing sound. At the end of the hose i use a carby fuel filter to stop excess oil from going everywhere. But i know for a fact it makes the motor sound louder when its removed and the motor runs alot smoother with the pcv connected.

Cheers

Steve
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AGE PCV help/opinions Sat, 07 August 2004 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm wierd. 4ages don't usualy have a pcv as such. mines just got hose going from cam cover to inlet manifold.

I dont know what is up with yours Confused
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 4AGE PCV help/opinions Sat, 07 August 2004 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4ag(z)e's do not have a valve. just a straight connection.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGE PCV help/opinions Sun, 08 August 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is your PCV connected IN FRONT of the throttle butterfly?

If not there is your problem!
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4AGE PCV help/opinions Sun, 08 August 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 11:23

UMM no, but then again i got no idea what your suggesting. Would you have a pic available of your setup.

monkeymajik wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 02:28

4ag(z)e's do not have a valve. just a straight connection.

True, but what's just inside the inlet manifold where the hose connects, there is something in there, and ive tried heaps of times to clean it, but nothing ever changes.

Cheers Guys

Steve
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGE PCV help/opinions Sun, 08 August 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EXACTLY what model 4age do u have, in FWD or RWD and is the manifold converted?

Reference material is here, READ IT:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=30928&start=0&rid=883&S=d93d8a0f987d 76a049507ecfd6d501d3
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGE PCV help/opinions Sun, 08 August 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 11:23

ummm.. 4age's have the pcv pipe into the plenium, after the throttle butterfly.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGE PCV help/opinions Sun, 08 August 2004 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no they dont - READ THE THREAD ABOVE donghead.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGE PCV help/opinions Sun, 08 August 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well there you go, you learn something new every day. Embarassed Smile
your post wasnt there when i was writing mine, so i didnt happen to see that link and learn that it routes differently to how i believed it did.

Quote:

donghead.

sticks and stones... Wink
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGE PCV help/opinions Sun, 08 August 2004 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank god you have a sense of humour and are accustomed to my postal behaviour Twisted Evil

Yes i know u didnt see my post, but i thought it necessary to say that so that the next person didnt fall prey to perpetuated misinformation (eg, semi forged pistons).

FYI et all - the PCV hose does plug onto the plenum, but there is a little channel in the plenum which bring it out in front of the TB butterfly. Hence in a cut'n'shut manifold you need to move the PCV hose.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4AGE PCV help/opinions Mon, 09 August 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 09 August 2004 01:10

thank god you have a sense of humour and are accustomed to my postal behaviour Twisted Evil

Yes i know u didnt see my post, but i thought it necessary to say that so that the next person didnt fall prey to perpetuated misinformation (eg, semi forged pistons).

FYI et all - the PCV hose does plug onto the plenum, but there is a little channel in the plenum which bring it out in front of the TB butterfly. Hence in a cut'n'shut manifold you need to move the PCV hose.

Sorry i didnt clarify the motor, original rwd.

I just have a hose going from the inlet manifold to the plenum.

As per factory, but i made the gasket for the throttle body and im not 100% if i made the hole for the gallery as per the pic. ill check tommorrow. You learn something new everyday.

Thanks heaps guys.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 August 2004 11:22]

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4AGE PCV help/opinions Tue, 17 August 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 09 August 2004 01:10

All hail king WITZL, problem solved, no hole in throttle body gasket for the pcv channel, runs heaps smotther, thanks heaps WITZL.

Cheers

Steve
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGE PCV help/opinions Tue, 17 August 2004 06:31 Go to previous message
well thanks, but the glory really should be taken by some homo up in queensland who brought it up in my thread Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My 5sfe just died
Next Topic:2TG - 18RC Exhaust, will it fit?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 21:16:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057089328765869 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.