Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » TA22 auto to manual swap?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mightyrollaman
Occasional Poster

July 2002
TA22 auto to manual swap? Sun, 15 August 2004 15:48 Go to next message
Im considering purchasing a TA22, unfortunately an auto. The auto is working but I have a feeling it's on its way out. If and when it does die, I'd love to swap it for a manual. Are the floors different between manual and auto? Apart from the obvious gearbox, pedal box and crossmember, what else is needed? Driveshaft? Is the clutch cable or hydraulically operated? Does the crossmember bolt straight in, or do I have to drill the holes? Is the manual speedo cable hard to get hold of (ie can you get them new, I couldn't find a KE20 one anywhere a while ago). Is the job worth doing? How hard are all these parts to come by these days? How much for a new/reco/used box? Any advice from anyone who has done this conversion previously would be greatly appreciated. Any rego issues as well?
  Send a private message to this user    
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: TA22 auto to manual swap? Sun, 15 August 2004 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The swap is straight forward. The floors are the same, and you can bolt everything up. Yes you'll also need the manual tailshaft, they're different to the auto units. Clutch is hydraulic, so you'll need all the associated parts too for that, and the crossmember will bolt straight in. You should be able to use the speedo cable thats there from memory too.

I'f you want a manual car, then yes the job's worth doing! As for parts sourcing, look for a manual TA22 being wrecked and buy everything in one go, that way you can use the disassembly also as an installation guide. A good used gearbox can be bought for around $50-100 these days, and the only rego issue you will have is to notify the transport mob in your state that the car is now a manual, not an auto!

Clint
toyoTA22
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: TA22 auto to manual swap? Mon, 16 August 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You say you need the manual tailshaft. Is that because of the length? I have a TA22 auto and have a manual box and it fits!
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: TA22 auto to manual swap? Mon, 16 August 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not certain on length, but the auto and manual gearboxes have different splined output shafts, and most people find it easier to simply swap a tailshaft, than swap a yoke.
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: TA22 auto to manual swap? Tue, 17 August 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did this swap last week. the driveshafts have 2mm length difference, which isn't anything, but the splines are different, you need the driveshaft. you need to cut the gearstick hole further forward, up to where the bolt holes are for the auto shifter.

does anyone know of a bigger clutch master cylinder that i can fit to a ta22? or i could rebore the standard one and change pistons. the clutch won't disengage(release) properly, you have to pump it twice to get enough pressure. i bled it a billion times and it hasn't made any difference.
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 auto to manual swap? Tue, 17 August 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joecoolmk2 wrote on Tue, 17 August 2004 11:50

does anyone know of a bigger clutch master cylinder that i can fit to a ta22?.

the T18 master cyl is bigger. (i think.. can anyone confirm?)
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 auto to manual swap? Tue, 17 August 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joecoolmk2: the slave cylinder should have an adjustable rod, im sure you have checked but is it adjusted correctly? i mean they are designed for each other and therefore if it isnt disengaging it would be that adjustment... unless its leaking somewhere
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: TA22 auto to manual swap? Tue, 17 August 2004 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i checked that, it's at it's max. it doesn't seem to be leaking. you have to pump the pedal twice, unless your going down through the gears quickly.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 auto to manual swap? Tue, 17 August 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how long is the adjustable rod?

mine is bout 5" long, i have it adjusted to bout 4"... basically i take the fork all the way the pressure plate and then back off bout 10mm for minor freeplay

another thing is ti ensure that the slave is recessed all the way into itself when bleeding... you need 2 people for the way i bleed them, but what i do is loosen the drain nipple and while someone is pressing clutch pedal in slowly, i push rod into slave to ensure no air nowhere... when the rod gets to end of shaft, press clutch pedal all the way & lock nipple and guaranteed no air... then adjust rod to 10mm before pressure plate touch

if that still doesnt work then DAMN!!!! Confused Laughing

its not worn pressure and clutch plates?
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: TA22 auto to manual swap? Wed, 18 August 2004 01:33 Go to previous message
i forgot to mention, you just need the brake pedal and clutch pedal, not the whole assembly. it will already have the mount for the clutch pedal to be bolted in, also ther's an adjusting bolt and nut that goes in front of the pedal to adjust the movement of the pedal(clutch pedal).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:mr2 sw20 wheels
Next Topic:4K with 2 speed toyoglide :D rocks!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 04:31:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042979717254639 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.