Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Mon, 16 August 2004 10:02 Go to next message
Does anyone know what the final drive ratio is on a Standard G series Torsen Diff?

I am also considering getting rid of it when the 1JZ goes in becuase progressive LSD shites me right off, i.e. One wheel, then two, then one, then two, etc,etc...

I dont really want to change the diff housing, so what centre would be a suitable replacement?
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Mon, 16 August 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you mean propressive LSD? If you have a clutch pack LSD it should just spin both wheels unless its f**ked. Are you sure you even have an LSD, most I've seen GZ20's dont.

Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Mon, 16 August 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want a G series clutch plate LSD, get a center from a 4wd HiLux, or MA70 Supra. You should be able to keep your crown wheel and pinion, just swap the very center diff parts.

I guess the TorSen diff was ment more for snow and safety on wet roads. Not so good for sport. Interesting.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Mon, 16 August 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My torsen LSD doesn't behave like that at all. In fact it behaves like a really tight clutch LSD. Are you sure you have a torsen?
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Mon, 16 August 2004 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Mon, 16 August 2004 19:32

Does anyone know what the final drive ratio is on a Standard G series Torsen Diff?

I am also considering getting rid of it when the 1JZ goes in becuase progressive LSD shites me right off, i.e. One wheel, then two, then one, then two, etc,etc...

I dont really want to change the diff housing, so what centre would be a suitable replacement?

Thats sounds more like a clutch pack LSD that is getting a bit tired. You can get the clutches re-tightened/shimmed on these.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Tue, 17 August 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Apparently my axel code matches that of a factory fitted torsen LSD...

Might have to look into getting it tightended then...

Gear ratios tho?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Tue, 17 August 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Diff ratio is determined by the crownwheel and pinion, NOT the diff centre. It's a totally separate issue.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Tue, 17 August 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't always believe the plate, get underneath and check out the car for yourself - many times things get swapped/changed long before you even see the car.
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Wed, 18 August 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I was under the impression the JZA70 was the only car to come equiped with a "G" series TORSEN (G**9 would be on the build plate)
As the Soarers JZZ30/Supras JZA80 have a "A" or "B" series diff.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Wed, 18 August 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're correct about the JZZ30 Soarer, but it's possible the earlier Soarers (eg MZ20) were available with a G series torsen centre. I've never actually seen one, but Toyota are good at mix'n'matching parts.

AFAIK if your Soarer was originally fitted with a torsen, the axle code on the build plate should read "Gxx9". A clutch LSD will be Gxx5 and a single-spinner (most common) will be Gxx4.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Wed, 18 August 2004 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats your trans code, as far as I knew only jza70s had torsens.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Thu, 19 August 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im going outside to check my trans code now, if i dont come back avenge my death...Very Happy
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Thu, 19 August 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok the axel code is G254? what does that mean???
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Thu, 19 August 2004 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That code means you have a 4.556 non-LSD diff, just as most GZ20's have, and the reason you're bitching about your LSD not working properly Laughing
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Thu, 19 August 2004 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Thu, 19 August 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 19 August 2004 21:06

That code means you have a 4.556 non-LSD diff, just as most GZ20's have, and the reason you're bitching about your LSD not working properly Laughing

It means once the 1jz is in you'll be pulling big single spinner burnouts everywhere you go Laughing

4.556:1 will make for some terrific acceleration off the line, if you ever get traction.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Fri, 20 August 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and ga70s manuals were fitted with that ratio but with the 5 on the end. LSD
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Fri, 20 August 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LSD was optional on the GA70's... they more often come with open diffs.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Fri, 20 August 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even the manuals?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Fri, 20 August 2004 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then my diff is well and truly fuct...

I chucked some chemi weld in the 1GGTE last night so I could go for one last thrash, went down to the local park and ripped a fat burnout in the carpark, two wheels, two lines, lots of smoke... Very Happy

Open wheeler diffs become fucked when they start doing LSD burnouts

Even i know this...

Right this thread will be changed to what diff that is LSD will fit into my diff housing?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Fri, 20 August 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JZA70 Torsen or MA70 clutch-LSD should both fit, but it might be easier to swap the whole thing over, cheaper too, still requires a removal and install.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Fri, 20 August 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes but the brakes and shit are different on my car than a supra...

What is the differences between the clutch LSD and the Torsen??
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Fri, 20 August 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 14:33

WTF? He's talking about swapping the diff, not the brakes.
Quote:

http://www.google.com
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Fri, 20 August 2004 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 14:09

MR 1GGTE wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 14:33

WTF? He's talking about swapping the diff, not the brakes.
Quote:

http://www.google.com

I thought he meant swap the entire diff over, uni joints and all??

Then again I forgot about the IRS for a second there...
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Fri, 20 August 2004 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah dont believe in google, im just too lazy... Very Happy
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Fri, 20 August 2004 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
howthingswork.com explains a torsen too
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Fri, 20 August 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 14:47

Uni joints? Have you ever looked under your car??
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Diff ratio in standard G series Torsen? Fri, 20 August 2004 06:53 Go to previous message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 15:44

MR 1GGTE wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 14:47

Uni joints? Have you ever looked under your car??

Obviously not well enough to know what i am talking about...Razz

I will shut up now...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST205 Standard Wheel Offset?
Next Topic:1G Flywheel Differences
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 5 09:39:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055489540100098 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.