Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Tarago 1984 Engine upgrade ideas ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Daved
Regular

March 2004
Tarago 1984 Engine upgrade ideas ? Sat, 21 August 2004 23:14 Go to next message
I have an early people mover (YR21) and am considering an upgrade. Bit more power & injection not carb is the aim. Ideas welcome. Maybee a Crown 2.0 litre six cylinder, possibly with supercharger as these seem quite cheap for what you get. Any other ideas, what might bolt in etc etc. Currently a Manual I'm considering auto.
  Send a private message to this user    
Daved
Regular

March 2004
Re: Tarago 1984 Engine upgrade ideas ? Sat, 21 August 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I should perhaps add, any one done an upgrade to a Tarago? Engines, gearboxes, mounts, radiators, tailsahft fitment, etc
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tarago 1984 Engine upgrade ideas ? Sun, 22 August 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You've got pretty limited space to work with in a Tarago, so the 1G (2.0 litre six) probably isn't an option. The easiest upgrade would be the 4Y-E, which is the 2.2 litre EFI engine found in upper-spec Taragos. It won't make a huge difference (probably 10-20hp) but at least it will bolt right in, and if that's not enough you might be able to squeeze in a supercharger from a 1G-GZE; it depends how much space you have down there though!
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Tarago 1984 Engine upgrade ideas ? Sun, 22 August 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had these sort of perverse thoughts about the Hiace camper van I may one day inherit from my parents (or at least inherit the responsibility for looking after it). Tarago would likely be a similar layout in the engine bay.

The current engine (3Y I think) is non-crossflow and so space on the drivers side of the engine is very tight. Meaning a big twincam head and a crossflow design would probably be very difficult to fit. Everything is packed in in front of the engine too, so extra length could well have hassles too.

Norbie's suggestion looks the goods. And for extra power sort some forced induction, easier since its fuel injected already.

If you do go ahead with it I'd be very interested in the results, so keep me posted.

Hen
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Tarago 1984 Engine upgrade ideas ? Sun, 22 August 2004 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We must be crazy. I'm looking at an RH10 Torota Hiace with an evil glint in my eye.

Dammit, gotta fix the TA22 first...
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Tarago 1984 Engine upgrade ideas ? Sun, 22 August 2004 10:18 Go to previous message
13BT?

This dude here in newy has one in his hiace
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Any info on a "TD06-19C"
Next Topic:How to fix the auto-slide feature on the passenger seat (2-door models).
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 07:10:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049850940704346 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.