Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cytribe
Regular

June 2003
Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 06:02 Go to next message
I'm considering respraying/changing the colour of my hachi and was wondering about costs. Does anyone know how many litres I'd need to do everything including the bumpers? or is it more cost efficiant to let a workshop factor in the paint with the cost of the respray?
What did painting/respraying your hachi cost?
  Send a private message to this user    
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
compelte car excluding engine bay is bout 3ltrs, with engine bay bout 4ltrs... these amonts are to be safe and have some left over

now 4ltrs of 2pac cost bout $200, then you need thinners and clear, thinners for clear and hardner

otherwise you can go acrylic but you will still need 3-4ltrs... if your gonna get a shop to spray it then let them factor in the price but all up if you wanted to buy everything in 2pac would cost roughly $600
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Usually spraying a whole car would cost around the 3-4K mark (depending on where you go and how good they are). Approximately 4 Litres of base paint would be adequate, of course depending on different cars. For a hachi, 4L is more than enough.

It is definately advisable to have the sprayers deal with the amount of paint and what paint to use as they know best.

But ultimately, the prep work is the most costly, and time consuming. Sanding, masking cleaning and bogging of the car will set back the $$$ depending on the current condition of the body.

In regards to what colour, base/plain colours are definately cheaper and easier in the long run (colour matching). I have a violet pearl in mine and its a f*^king whore to match:

http://img61.exs.cx/img61/7056/PAINT.jpg
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NO ITS JUST A F!@KING WHORE Laughing

yeah the perals are cunts cause you can never know exactly how they measured the original spray and even of you get the same people to do it they rarely remember what measurements they used

if you want pearl in paint the easiest way os to put it in the paint but then you dont get that pearl effect completely or you can put it in the clear but thates where the measurements issue arises
cytribe
Regular

June 2003
Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info, yea $600 is about what I guessed to buy the paint. 3-4 K is alot more then I expected to do the car Sad
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate if you spend $30 on 800 grade wet/dry and a block and sand it all back yourself... you ave to take enough off to get rid of the clear and get it dull again.

then mask it all up and tow it there and it would cost alot less...
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
painted my car for a total cost of $86 bucks (ironic price i know) that included 4 l of paint, 4L of thinners, presol, wet dry paper in various grades etc etc.

easy as!

next time when i do it properly. im gonna spend a bit more Smile
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but you got matt/GMH black which is like $30 for 4ltrs
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but its PPG paint, quality!

the next stuff im getting is 200 bucks for 4L's.....

top secret that one tho Wink
kayot1k
Regular

July 2003

Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey boyz i recently got my car resprayed by a relative and it looks like shiet.

it has the ripple look on the paint what does that usually result on i know its hard to say without a pic but what could it be narrowed down to ? is there a way to know for sure if it has been baked in an oven or is it hard to tell ?
cus he is quite shifty

also he was supposed to pearl it gold on white but the pearl was awfull as it was not evenly sprayed all over the car.
it had blotches and some parts of the car was still white.
some panels however looked great.
Sad

Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To what level should you sand down the car. You don't have to go back to bare metal do you. Is it just until the top level is removed and it is smooth, or further?
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pearl is a pain in the arse.
I have some paint starting to peel on my car (was sprayed 3+ yrs ago) and theres nothing I can do to fix it short of respraying the whole car, as nobody can be assed colour matching it.

Also I have noticed that my car has alot more of a yellower tinge over the paint than when I bought it over a year ago.
This apparentely happens over time when you add a shit of pearl to the clear coat...
And this also makes it harder to colour match.

If I was to respray my car again, a basic factory colour such as XR6 blue or phantom purple would be the go.

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kayot1k wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 17:32

hey boyz i recently got my car resprayed by a relative and it looks like shiet.

it has the ripple look on the paint what does that usually result on i know its hard to say without a pic but what could it be narrowed down to ? is there a way to know for sure if it has been baked in an oven or is it hard to tell ?
cus he is quite shifty

also he was supposed to pearl it gold on white but the pearl was awfull as it was not evenly sprayed all over the car.
it had blotches and some parts of the car was still white.
some panels however looked great.
Sad

he sprayed it on think in some areas and thin in others... basically he didnt do it evenly Or too close to the panels... if it looks like an orange peel (thats what they call it) then thats what it is
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 17:52

To what level should you sand down the car. You don't have to go back to bare metal do you. Is it just until the top level is removed and it is smooth, or further?

when you look at your car it is shiny right? well that is the clear coat on the paint. that needs to come off, so basically when the shine in the paint goes and not too much.

also YOU MUST USE A BLOCK otherwise you wont rub it evenly as your hands are not completely flat and then the paint job will come out wavey
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
600 all up Smile results are a1
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my car is strange in the fact that it looks like they have painted striaght onto the original colour when the previous owner resprayed it. i might have to take the top flaky level off and then take the shine outta the original coat Confused
cytribe
Regular

June 2003
Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sexy16 : Did you do any of the work yourself? I notice your bumpers aren't coded, I'd want to have them done on my own car.
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the car in the avatare is mine in ireland and it has never seen paint
my mate paints my cars for free and my beater is shit hot so i dont get charged much as i give him so much buisness threw the car yard
Razor
Regular

May 2004
Re: Paint question for ae86 Tue, 24 August 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How hard is it to paint a metallic paint?
DIY job, 1st timer in spray painting

and whats the minimum air compressor CFM requirement?

are there acrylic metallic paint?

or should I just stick to solid colours?

I want to re-spray my car from dull yellow to something like WRX blue

is there a similar version in solid acrylic colours?

cheers!
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Paint question for ae86 Wed, 25 August 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Violet pearl sounds really nice, would look nice in person in direct light.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Paint question for ae86 Wed, 25 August 2004 03:15 Go to previous message
yeah its purple in the day, and blue at night Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:does anyone with a ta22 live nere ipswich
Next Topic:Converting seat rails for TA22???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 8 16:55:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0095090866088867 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.