Toymods » General Car Talk » hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RollaLevin
Occasional Poster

August 2002
hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Sat, 28 September 2002 18:23 Go to next message
I couldn't help but notice that Initial D pisses alot of people off around here. If you think there are alot of dreamers Now...

The inevitable future, fellow toyota modders is......

Initial D translated to english and available in every video store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!!!!

I'm not joking it WILL HAPPEN >:)

should we start stockpiling ae86's to protect them from fuckin morons or what!?

PS: that last suggestion was not serious I'm just bored.
  Send a private message to this user    
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Sun, 29 September 2002 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RollaLevin wrote on Sun, 29 September 2002 04:23

should we start stockpiling ae86's to protect them from fuckin morons or what!?

PS: that last suggestion was not serious I'm just bored.

Hey, I'm not even a sprinter owner, and even I think that's a good idea!
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Sun, 29 September 2002 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe
great idea
but hey let them have there fun
if they want a car that can beat everything down a hill in japan they deserve sprinters Smile
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Sun, 29 September 2002 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I personally don't think that Initial D is a quantifiable reason for a change in market price for AE86s, not now and not in the future.

This is why I think this.

1. Japanese animation, although popular, is certainly not a large part of the dvd/video market. (In terms of sales, not shelf space)

2. The number of people who watch this animation and then decide they must live it would be even smaller. Like watching Akira and then going out to get some mad bike. Or watching Ninja Scroll suddenly causes a rush at 'house of knives'

Flame away
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Sun, 29 September 2002 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont like the idea of these kiddies buying rare cars so they can "dorifto" them into a pole they become even more rare.

"hi, i just bought a AE86 sprinter levin trueno and i want to put a holden 202 into it can anyone tell me if its been done before and tell me how to do it and maybe do it for me and tell me how much its gonna cost and how many Kw at the rear wheels it will put out and how much it will cost if i took it to my mate johnno so he could do it and how much it will cost if i buy a front cut and how much to convert it to 4WD with skoda running gear"

..sorry i just woke up..
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Sun, 29 September 2002 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
initial D is a good laugh - i like the animation ( looks liek a replay from GT3 ) but come ON - a tueno - pulling 11K RMP beating a rx7 or an evo - LOL ! japanese comedy at its best Smile

let the kids buy em and they will soon see that Inital D is just jap Dreaming and fantasy - the whole basis behind anime Smile

" how can his ae86 beat my " spider claw spring " shifting technique ! "

LAFFS! geezus
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Sun, 29 September 2002 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm ... the greatest irony is that Sprinter owners hate Initial D because people get one just for the show but are kinda shallow in terms of loving the car for exactly what it is rather than just for some blown-out anime show;

And otaku's (anime fanatics) hate Initial D cause it's the next wave of shallow 'Evangelion' fans who get into just the one anime show without realising that there are other better anime shows out there ... and I'm in both camps at the moment Very Happy

Ha hah haha ... gee I can be sad at times. Embarassed

Still, I love Initial D + drifting but I just can't bear the thought of wrapping my Sprinter around a phone post after all the work I've put into it.

In the end, to each their own but I have heard that Initial D will be coming to Oz soon so be prepared all of you'z! Mad
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Sun, 29 September 2002 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never seen this 'Initial D' before, what is it all about, and why do so many people hate it?
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Sun, 29 September 2002 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why would u hate it?
its great
cant think of a better CARtoon
if u can id like to know about it
RollaLevin
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Sun, 29 September 2002 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For the people who don't already know, Initial D is an animated Japanese Tv series based on the manga drawn by S.Shigeno (yes, as in the shigeno version 86 in gt3) The main character drives a Panda ae86 sprinter trueno and defeats a number of other japanese sports cars in downhill mountain pass races. This show is partly to blame for the sudden influx of people who want the car and wholly to blame for the inflated price of the 86, in particular fastback truenos.

This is good and bad as the number of aftermarket parts for the 4ag and 86 have increased, definitely a good thing.

Unfortunately there has developed a sub-culture of initial D fans who go beyond watching the show and playing the cd's in their car.. they have to seek out and buy an 86.. then go about making it as close as possible to the one in the show. This leaves less 86 for REAL hoons like us.

Fwiw in the Initial D credits it lists several JGTC drivers as "technical consultants" most notably Keichi Tsuchiya. This could mean anything however. The roads that are raced on in the cartoon are real mountain passes in japan - this can also be taken any way you want.
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Mon, 30 September 2002 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I guess when the fad passes there'll be Sprinters around with some good bits on to score.
Never seen this Initial D either, seems a pity it's a cartoon and not real. I guess just like the drifting crap, fantasy. Laughing
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Mon, 30 September 2002 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
initial d is interesying if not unbelievable at times.
i think its a cool series. but the most appealing thing is the whole 'under dog' theme in the first couple of episodes. the main character wasn't ever interested into racing/drifting and knows nuthin about cars but with his dads heavily modded '86' he beats all the drift club kiddy's super cars. sum people just want to take after their heros and role models, what can ya do?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Tue, 01 October 2002 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Youngy wrote on Sun, 29 September 2002 10:59

1. Japanese animation, although popular, is certainly not a large part of the dvd/video market. (In terms of sales, not shelf space)

Why does it matter about sales vs shelf space. People watch them and get influenced by them. Doesn't matter if they buy it or not.

In my neighbourhood, Anime takes up entire shelves and they're almost all Daily rentals.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Tue, 01 October 2002 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
god has spoken
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Tue, 01 October 2002 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The reason I stated in terms of sales and not shelf space was to try and cut-off the person who would draw conclusions that anime has an influence on the price of sprinters because when they look in their video store they see a huge section of shelf space dedicated to anime.

When matched against other forms of dvd/video types eg movies, music etc anime is only a small player in the market and hence I think that the number of people who watch anime and in this case Intial D and then go on to actually buy an AE86 is so frigging small that in no way does it affect the market values of AE86s.

Enjoy
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Wed, 02 October 2002 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well you live in unique environment there max... an ethnic "pocket" or concentration.... if you were to compare that to where i live in castle hill, you would be surprised at the stark contrast in local culture. Hence the concentration of anime on you local video store shelves.
im sure if you asked all the dudes in castle hill, there would be maybe 5% who have even HEARD of manga. our shelves would be filled with white-boy teenage movies with dick and fart joke, action flicks and crap like that
nb: i am not being racist, just want to clear that up
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Wed, 02 October 2002 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True, it's a unique place, but hey, we're asians, there's a bloody lot of us! Very Happy

It only takes a small minority to make an impact in things like car prices of old cars (think of how many AE86s are sold every week).

Just about every kid around here watches anime and most of them would've heard of Initial D. The number of AE86s that I've seen popping up around here in the last few years has been staggering.
Spaceboy
Occasional Poster

September 2002
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Thu, 03 October 2002 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm an anime freak. I have Initial D music playing in my car. Damn... I'd always been into cars and stuff But watching Initial D a while back was what really got me into cars. I was already an anime fan and then finding out they had one about cars was a combination of both which was cool for me. I still love Initial D. But I'd hate to see wannabe-people go buy a car like the sprinters just because of an anime and try all the stuff in the anime or just for show because they saw Initial D. I don't hate Sprinters but I wouldnt buy one but I'd go find one is someone told me they saw one somewhere cause I havent seen one in real life before, or at least not in my area.

And true Nark, there are alot of us Asians. Although most asians I know usually drive either something from the Nissan range(mostly Skylines) or Lancers. What a strange place I live in.
wannatoy
Regular

July 2002
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Thu, 03 October 2002 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey what's the problem???????? Twisted Evil

what is wrong with a cartoon promoting that Toyota's rule?

notice they didn't put the ae86 up against a supra.

it is a good cartoon for what it is. funny, maybe, we all know how sprinters handle

i had luke's gze sprinter, and have yet to experience so much fun around corners... and straight line in this case, in a car costing so little. i reckon only a mx5 is more fun around corners.

it is odd that toyota fans are knocking this cartoon.

that's my 2cents worth
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Thu, 03 October 2002 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love initial d, and dont own a sprinter. love the idea of drifting, but wouldnt wanna smash my car.

I've just about watched the whole series, just got 2 final episodes to watch.... Sad

Me and Oz_Craig downloaded the whole cartoon series of kazaa! Cool

Just a question about the initial d cd's that you play in your car, what have they got on them??
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Thu, 03 October 2002 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wannatoy wrote on Fri, 04 October 2002 00:08

notice they didn't put the ae86 up against a supra.

He does go up against an MR2 and another AE86... Smile

Me, personally, I love Initial D.

And so what if wannabees buy the car for drifting. It's sad if they smash it up, but maybe some of those wannabees turn out to be great drivers.
As long as they use it for hard driving instead of ricing it up, I don't have a problem with them.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 October 2002 00:43]

wannatoy
Regular

July 2002
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Fri, 04 October 2002 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you don't think japanese writing across the initial D's trueno is ricey??? Smile

oh yeah, i forgot about the MR2.

re: what format initial D is on. I have all 3 stages. the first 2 i bought in hong kong and they are poor quality VCDs... also not much good for aussies since it is translated in canto. the third stage is a DVD in japanese but with english subtitles.

being chinese, for some reason, i really enjoying watching it in canto. it makes it even more ricey.... whar hahahahaha

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Fri, 04 October 2002 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The writing on the side of the car is an ad for the Tofu Shop. Hardly what you'd call ricey. Maybe tofuy.... Very Happy

I have Stage 1 and 2 on DVD. All the rest is in DivX for me. All are Japanese with English subtitles.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Fri, 04 October 2002 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Me has the whole set DivX.
Drew-AE86
Regular

August 2002

Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Fri, 04 October 2002 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I own an AE86 and own Initial D.

Its a good laugh, and also gets u pumped up for a quick hills run Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Personally, i didnt know nething about Initial D when i bought my car. I love my car due to its looks, handling, and that beautiful sound of the twincam revving to 7.5k Laughing, and its jus a bonus that there is a japanese cartoon based around these cool cars.

A while back, here in SA, there was an Initial D phase. Every1 wanted to see it, and once they saw it, the amount of msg's i was recieving on austnet.org was amazing, asking about how much they are, what is needed to do the engine swap, and all the other stuff so they can make another Tofu Shop Trueno.

Its a hell sweet car, but ppl that buy the car cuz of the cartoon.... that jus pisses me off, they are taking the good rust free shells that i could be using Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

/rant off

Andrew
Spaceboy
Occasional Poster

September 2002
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Fri, 04 October 2002 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got my copies of Initial D from Ebay a while back. Saved me having to downloading them on my crappy dial-up.

And St3ve_AE92
Quote:

Just a question about the initial d cd's that you play in your car, what have they got on them??
There just music from the anime, the ones they play during the car races. Which sorta gets me in a driving mood when I'm going along the highway which is the the only time I can go fast or have to go for a long drive. Damn all these hidden speed cameras in these built up areas. But for which song, I have 1st Stage DSelection 1, 2, 3, The Movie and Vocal battle, so the songs on those Cd's. And have some from 2nd Stage too.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Fri, 04 October 2002 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh no! Better watch out for that. A show causing people to go out and do up sprinters.

Not to worry though, it's not like any show has influenced what people want to then go out and buy/do.

Nah, Fast and the furious did nothing to civic sales or body kit sales, and noone at all wanted to 'put NOS on their car'.

So don't worry about it, people arn't influenced by shows at all.

Grin
RollaLevin
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: hey Sprinter owners / Sprinter haters Sun, 06 October 2002 19:24 Go to previous message
I paid $4500 for a notchback jap imort levin with a pretty expensive sony setup and all the usual basic mods. But now that the prices have doubled in the last 2 years or so I've got no hope of buying another one in good condition as the prices are so high. If I'm not mistaken there was a trueno for sale in sydney or melbourne for more than 10k

Thats a pretty rich price tag for an early 80's atmo 4cyl japanese car. I figured it was mostly initial D's fault but some ppl have doubts. what do you think? what else can justify the price of these cars?
I was flicking through something similar to a japanese auto trader and their prices are similarly high for what the car is. 1,000,000+ yen 86's weren't too hard to find but most of these had at least some tuning done. 30+ Ae86 in one issue alone so they don't seem to be running low on 86 over there just yet. cheapest 86 I found was 230,000yen, maybe I'm not looking hard enough???

this show ( or SOMETHING ) is affecting the price of these cars more than you think.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 October 2002 19:29]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZGTE engine specs
Next Topic:bmw films
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 23:16:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.071208000183105 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.