Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » battery relocation... help from people who've done it!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Tue, 31 August 2004 12:38 Go to next message
k, batter has to be moved soon.
I have most things worked out (battery mounting will speak to engineer about, along with how regularly the cabling must be tied in)

what I have no idea how to do is connect the huge cluster of wired that usually connect to the battery to the cable I'm going to run to the boot, and insulate the whole thing.

I'm assuming there's a better way to do this than a large amount of solder and electrical tape... but what is it?
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Tue, 31 August 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to a decent auto electrician and buy a decent insulated distribution block. You can get these that have a bolt on one end which you attach the large battery cable to, and then they have a bunch of small holes in it which you clamp your smaller wires in.
Make sure you get a decent insulated item as the cheaper types brake and will cause trouble.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Tue, 31 August 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
auto electricians be the only guys who stock that sort of item?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Tue, 31 August 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or auto-electrical suppliers, such as Ashdowns, Ingrams etc, maybe even a good auto parts store.

I tend to run the battery cable to the starter motor (since this is by far going to draw the most current), then a separate cable from the starter to the distribution block.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Tue, 31 August 2004 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TE72_Turbo wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 22:55

I tend to run the battery cable to the starter motor (since this is by far going to draw the most current), then a separate cable from the starter to the distribution block.

This is a good idea.
You could also do what I do for my customers and run one cable to the starter and then another to the distribution block.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Tue, 31 August 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool
since I've attracted the attention of some people who know about this.....

Pros and cons of going battery to the boot versus one of those odyssey miniature batteries (or similar brand)?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Tue, 31 August 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 23:19

cool
since I've attracted the attention of some people who know about this.....

Pros and cons of going battery to the boot versus one of those odyssey miniature batteries (or similar brand)?

Sealed gel cells are over rated and expensive and I would never use them unless I do a boot mount and I know I cant get a decent vent to the outside.
Only down side to boot mounting is the long run/s of cable you need to use which is expensive when using good quality cable and terminations.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Tue, 31 August 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm.... pretty much my thoughts.
and since I already have a battery for the boot and a large chunk of 0 gauge, prolly go that way
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Tue, 31 August 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 22:28

This is a good idea.
You could also do what I do for my customers and run one cable to the starter and then another to the distribution block.

Yup, do this if you have the $$s for the extra cable youll need and the room.
Although the cable from batt->dist-block can be quite a bit smaller than the batt->starter cable.

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Tue, 31 August 2004 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.dysfunction.ws/albums/Sprinter/DSCF0010_008.jpg

Thats what happens when you have a heap of 4AWG, 12AWG and some 8AWG left over from a friend's bling bling stereo install. Oh yeah, and the distro blocks are courtesy of a mate working at Jaycar.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Wed, 01 September 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That looks very nice takai...

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Wed, 01 September 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the dist block i used, about $11 from jaycar.

for the power cable i reccomend you get welders cable from BOC gas, its about $10 per metre and its good shit, better than normal wire due to the fact its got thicker insulation which is what you want when you gotta run it through the fire wall (probably). i mean you have to protect it if it goes through the firewall, but better safe than sorry.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Wed, 01 September 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've already got a big arsed rubber gromit where it's going through the fire wall (in with all the other wiring).

atm I'm working out the logistics of mounting it... where best to do it to maximise boot space, etc.

What size cabling do you recommend for everything, if I run 0 gauge to the starter?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Wed, 01 September 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greg, what kind of box are you planning on using?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Wed, 01 September 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
undecided as yet
gonna call engineer tomorrow, ask what he recommends.
possibly do a shane, get a small metal tray fabbed up, space it off the floor and run battery straps over it.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Wed, 01 September 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im using 4awg for the starter. Theoretically max should be around 80A under load. Although ive seen the T50 one run on a 60A fuse.

I got all my 4AWG from a Jaycar reel which a mate bought for his stereo install. Got it for $20.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Wed, 01 September 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whatever thickness the wire that originally went to the starter from the battery, thats about the thickness you'll need from the starter to dis block.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Wed, 01 September 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 21:30

whatever thickness the wire that originally went to the starter from the battery, thats about the thickness you'll need from the starter to dis block.

Actually you want the original size plus a quater the size again. As soon as you start adding resistance(connectors and distrubition blocks) you need to increase the size of the cable to decrease the resistance as much as possible.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Wed, 01 September 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my bad. ohwell the wire i got going from starter to dis block is thicker than the 3 wires combined that come off the dis block.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Wed, 01 September 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 21:47

my bad. ohwell the wire i got going from starter to dis block is thicker than the 3 wires combined that come off the dis block.

Your not wrong, its just better to increase the size of the cable.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Wed, 01 September 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using 0g for the starter... I want to know what to use for the rest of the things. I'm guessing some 4g would be suitable, but I dont want things intermittantly screwing up due to low amps.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Wed, 01 September 2004 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what wires are you talking about? if you run 0AWG to the starter and say 4AWG to the dis block, what other wires do you need? you just run the other wires to the dis block. the ones that would otherwise go to the battery.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Wed, 01 September 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah
thought you were saying 4g to the starter Smile
blame it on the shift change at work
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Wed, 01 September 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just run a nice big good quality wire to the starter. and then a nice big wire from the starter to the alt. then if you need power for things tap it off the alt. if things get too crowded there then you need to look at distribution blocks etc.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Wed, 01 September 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are we talking MA61 here? It's actually really easy to run the cable from the back of the car to the starter without it being seen!

- From the starter run the cable through the existing hole in the passenger side inner guard, behind the strut tower
- Run the cable through the grommet visible under the wheelarch
- Cable appears behind the HVAC blower under the dash
- Run cable down through the existing cable conduit under the door
- From conduit go under the back seat, cable comes up near rear shock tower
- Attach cable to battery in boot
- Done!

In my car you'd almost think the boot-mounted battery was factory fitted... very neat and tidy. Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Thu, 02 September 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got some pics Norbie? I'd like to see how you've done it Smile I'm considering doing it soon as it'd free up the space for some useful neat wiring, as well as taking some weight away from the front end.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Thu, 02 September 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm actually in the process of swapping it all over to my white Supra. I finished pulling the cable out of the blue car yesterday, so when I re-install it later this week I'll take a few snaps. Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Thu, 02 September 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That'd be awesome, Thanks!!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Thu, 02 September 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do you guys vent your batteries?

Mine just sits in the boot. Not very healthy for me. Sad
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Thu, 02 September 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't light a match...
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Thu, 02 September 2004 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a tube from the batter box to the outside world, I have one off the top of the box for any gasses that rais and also have one of the bottom, kinda like a drainage point.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Thu, 02 September 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the advantage of having the battery in your boot?
or somehwere other than your engine bay?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Thu, 02 September 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More even weight distribution, and freeing up room in the engine bay for things like intercooler piping for giant hulking turbo's Smile

-J-

[Updated on: Thu, 02 September 2004 07:20]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Thu, 02 September 2004 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I moved mine because there's some 2.5" pipes where the battery used to be. Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Thu, 02 September 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's why I'm moving mine - 2.5" piping prolly exactly where norbie's is.
also a dist block bolted to the firewall will neaten up a lot of wiring.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Thu, 02 September 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if my car had a boot i wouldnt even bother with a vent. i dont bother with a vent now and i got a liftback. i figure the battery fumes and the petrol fumes will cancel each other out. Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Thu, 02 September 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, i planto get an engineering certificate (so I dont get violed by the cops)
so I want it all nice and legal.

as my mates keep telling me, I can show the cop how legal my car is after getting pulled over for doubling the speed limit Confused
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Sun, 05 September 2004 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 10:01

Got some pics Norbie? I'd like to see how you've done it Smile

OK here it is:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=44508&start=0&rid=90
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Mon, 06 September 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for some peoples info, If you want more examples. BMW mount (some?) of their batteries in their boots from factory. My mums 88 325e cabriolet is like this..
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Mon, 06 September 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got mine in the boot
in a boat battery box
i cut a piece of checkerplate and mounted it in the bottom of the box then bolted the checkerplat to the boot floor, i also mounted a battery mount through the checkerplate as well
so nothing can move Smile

we made like a single terminal in the engine bay that all wires that used to go from the battery run off

http://img24.exs.cx/img24/933/Boot.jpg
http://img24.exs.cx/img24/3633/powerpost.jpg
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Mon, 06 September 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josh, what about venting?

EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: battery relocation... help from people who've done it! Mon, 06 September 2004 02:52 Go to previous message
we sealed up the 2 little vent holes in the top of the box and ran a pipe to the side vent in the rear 1/4 panel Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GEAR box Sheiiitttttt
Next Topic:1G-GTE only running for ~5 minutes
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 11:02:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076730251312256 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.