Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Heat when heater is OFF Wed, 02 October 2002 13:42 Go to next message
Ever since i have had my AE82 it has heat coming in when the heater is off for some reason or another.
Just wondering if anyone can help me.
I really want it fixed before it gets any hotter.
NO Air Con. Sad
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Heat when heater is OFF Wed, 02 October 2002 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a valve somewhere in your engine bay or under the dash which regulates the flow of coolant into the heater system. Over time these valves get clogged up or corroded if the proper coolant hasn't been used, which means they don't close properly so there's always coolant flowing through your heater. The fix is to replace the valve.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Heat when heater is OFF Wed, 02 October 2002 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the firewall, sort of near the middle, with a cable and 2 heater hoses coming to it. Also check the cable hasn't just fallen off, and that it indeed moves when someone else wiggles the heater control around
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Heat when heater is OFF Wed, 02 October 2002 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I should of said at the start but i forgot, that when i got the car the heater had been by passed so it wasn't connected up.
My Dad's friend who is a machanic told us what went where so we hooked it up ourselfs.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Heat when heater is OFF Wed, 02 October 2002 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like you might have forgotten to get the valve then Shocked

If you just hooked up the pipes in the firewall to the engine, then yeah, you'd be getting warm toes all day every day...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Heat when heater is OFF Wed, 02 October 2002 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had to rip the whole core out from the middle of my dash (not fun) so I've had a bit of experience. It is probably the tap as has been said.
If you ever have the dash apart, check that the cables are all working, they can come off if you are not careful, one of the reasons my heater wasn't working in the first place.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Heat when heater is OFF Wed, 02 October 2002 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is this the valve you guys are talking about???
How much they cost roughly???
http://www.plusoneinteractive.com/rollaboy/heater% 20valve.jpg
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Heat when heater is OFF Wed, 02 October 2002 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok,

Look to the middle of this pic, then to the right a bit.
See that little black casing with a pipe attached to its left side, and a blue cable attachted to its top?

That's your valve. Smile

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rampart/conversion/empty.jpg
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Heat when heater is OFF Wed, 02 October 2002 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YEah, those pics show what I meant.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Heat when heater is OFF Thu, 03 October 2002 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this valve in the twinky looks a little different to the ae92... but still the same principle. there should be two hoses connected to the valve/tap.... one from the water pump housing, the other going ino the one of the pipes coming out of the firwall (heading into the cabin of the car). the other pipe coming out from the firewall should be connected back into the rear? end of the engine. the valve regulates how much goes where.

if you want just get the hose that comes from the vale and plumb it straight back into the engine isolating the two pipes gonig into the firewall... it will basicaly give you no heater.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Heat when heater is OFF Thu, 03 October 2002 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 03 October 2002 16:28

if you want just get the hose that comes from the vale and plumb it straight back into the engine isolating the two pipes gonig into the firewall... it will basicaly give you no heater.

Hehehehe thats how it was when I got my car.
I want both heater and cold air. Very Happy
So does it sound like a need a new valve??
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Heat when heater is OFF Thu, 03 October 2002 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey i got this problem to kinda..

I dont know if its the switch in my console for the heat.. it goes all the way to the right for hot, but it would only just go abit to the cold.

If its a cold night.. the heater takes about 5 minutes to work.. first it blows the cold air in then it becomes pretty warm.. Brother told me to check the heater thing under the glovebox.

Then with the tempretures these days.. i move the switch to the left as far, as it will go.. i get alittle cold air from the fans then after 5 minutes it goes warm.

would this be the same problem as Bretts?
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Heat when heater is OFF Thu, 03 October 2002 13:43 Go to previous message
Michael it could just be that some of the cables or adjusters need adjusting. Im just guessing.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Engine conversion - should I convert to manual at the same time?
Next Topic:20V Extractors on 16V 4AGE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 31 13:30:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0037469863891602 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.