Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How to install front speakers in a ra28?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
How to install front speakers in a ra28? Wed, 01 September 2004 06:27 Go to next message
How do i install front speakers in a ra28? What has worked / didn't work for you guys?
Do i just bite the bullet and take an angle grinder to the door? Or is there a nicer way of doing it.
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: How to install front speakers in a ra28? Wed, 01 September 2004 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think s/cheap now sell spacers that let you mount the speakers 'off' the face of the door cards - but if you want big-arse speakers, then grinder and/or aviation tin snips will assist.

cheers,
Charles
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How to install front speakers in a ra28? Wed, 01 September 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took to the door with a grinder. The fanatics will cringe about cutting holes in good doors but when it comes to your tunes, you can't let anything stand in your way!

I cut my hole as far into the front+bottom corner I could, and there was enough depth there to put in my 5" woofer (from a set of splits) without any spacers or shit like that.

Tim.
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: How to install front speakers in a ra28? Wed, 01 September 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cut a hole in your door big enough for your magnets with a hole saw, then build a pod and mount them in that.
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to install front speakers in a ra28? Wed, 01 September 2004 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am curious too as to how others have mounted there front setups..

Anyone got pics of there TA22/RA23/8 stereo setups??

im probably just going to use pre-fabricated pods, too easy to fit, neat + no cutting holes with grinders, and the speaker is angled slightly up at you in the door.

Cheers,

blackRA28
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: How to install front speakers in a ra28? Wed, 01 September 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm running 5.25" mid drivers, they'll be going in some kick panel pods which I'll fibreglass up from the original kick panel covers.

If you're running 6" or larger speakers it'd have to be the door. You can either;

If your door trim is more important to you than sound, get some prefab pods for mounting the speaker. These can secure through the door trim with only a few screws, which will leave few marks.

If you want better midbass response, sound deaden and seal the door (ask for more details if this is you) and cut through the door card to vent into the enclosure you've created (inside the door cavity). Mid drivers will generally want good sized enclosures, up to 20L of enclosure even (ie. a door cavity).

In both the above situations, imaging will be far improved over flush mount setups as the speakers are 'staged' more effectively to the listening position.

If you want to go cheap and easy (and nasty in my opinion) then just put them flush into the doors (with spacers if need be). The best place to do this for basket/magnet clearance is towards the middle of the door (back towards the seat when door is closed) as there is a factory opening in the door skin there. This is terrible for imaging though.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How to install front speakers in a ra28? Thu, 02 September 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

This is mine a couple of years ago, makes me sad looking at all the pictures of my car with doors and an engine...

excuse the shit photo, old camera and I couldn't be bothered resizing it ~1MB

http://users.dart.net.au/~cooltim/int3.JPG
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: How to install front speakers in a ra28? Thu, 02 September 2004 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.iinet.com.au/~athird/cars/photos/Cars%20017.jpg

Can sorta see mine in bottom left of pasengar door

Was like it when i bought it though.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: How to install front speakers in a ra28? Thu, 02 September 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used pre made fibreglass pods that bolted to the door trims and pushed the speakers out and angled them into the cabin.

otherwise build you own door pods and add a little map pocket at the rear. relativly easy to do yourself.
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: How to install front speakers in a ra28? Thu, 02 September 2004 04:51 Go to previous message
Mmmmm, fluffy.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST162 Seat Upgrade - brain bender.
Next Topic:3S-F engine no power. Help please.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 8 14:40:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040149688720703 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.