Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » loss in oil pressure.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
loss in oil pressure. Wed, 01 September 2004 11:01 Go to next message
lately my oil pressure has been sitting a little lower than usual. as people with sprinters will know there are two marks on the gauge, one half way where it will sit at idle, and another one at about 2/3 where it sits at revs. with the original 4ac its sat on these two marks spot on. with the gze it used to sit a little above the middle mark at idle which i thought was fine, and at the other position at revs (like normal).
since i turbo'd the gze, or maybe around the same time i had it dyno'd, the oil pressure sits at half way at idle (normal) and inbetween the two marks at revs. maybe it happened on the dyno or maybe it was a coincidence im not sure but what should i do? could it be the releif valve sticking? im inclined to think not as it sits in the normal spot at idle. could my pump be stuffed? i hope not!
any suggestions welcome.
  Send a private message to this user    
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: loss in oil pressure. Wed, 01 September 2004 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine sits just below half on idle, and moves above it on acceleration, I wouldnt worry unless it drops significantly.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: loss in oil pressure. Wed, 01 September 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im jut way parranoid after spending big $$$ on the engine i dont want it to shit itself. i wouldnt be worried if it were always like that but it suddenly changed.
also the gze never used to rev past about 6500rpm cause there was no point but now with the turbo it hits 7-7.5krpm quite quickly, i was hoping that the new revs the engine hasnt seen in years hasnt stuffed something.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: loss in oil pressure. Wed, 01 September 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u using thinner oil?

going from 18R-C to 1G-GE in my RA40 i was using thinner oil and getting readings like you are.

i attributed it to either thinnner oil or possibly different scope on the oil pressure sender on engine.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: loss in oil pressure. Wed, 01 September 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did change the oil but only from cheapo gulf western which i get from work to toyota genuine oil, both 20-50. i was thinking that could be it, but i didnt notice if it was like that when i changed it or the week after when i dyno'd it.
but yeah, same pressure sender.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: loss in oil pressure. Wed, 01 September 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine sits at first little line at idle
and goes to 2nd line when you rev

i've got a 4age tho
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: loss in oil pressure. Wed, 01 September 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could it also be the extra volume the oil pump has to fill feeding the turbo??
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: loss in oil pressure. Wed, 01 September 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno, maybe. but i had the turbo on for a coupla weeks before i had it tuned and i didnt notice a lower pressure during that time, but maybe there was.
i might even try the cheapo gulf western oil again to see if that changes it back. cause would like that little bit of pressure back cause im sure then engines under alot more stress with the turbo, especially with the boost spikes i got atm.
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: loss in oil pressure. Wed, 01 September 2004 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate with his SR had the same sort of thing happen, it had about 15psi at idle then when he change the brand of oil he is using he started to get around 20psi at idle, so we have put it down to different brands of oil even tho they are the same weight.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: loss in oil pressure. Wed, 01 September 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youd think a thinner oil would have a lower pressure right?

maybe i should go back to gulf western. only costs me $4 a bottle too hahaha.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: loss in oil pressure. Wed, 01 September 2004 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure it's not because you probably tapped the oil source for the turbo off of the same place as the pressure sensor, therefore are bleeding pressure from it?

Also, those gauges are practically meaningless - connect a proper quality test gauge straight to the engine, check out the real oil pressure in PSI/KPA, NOT 'between the two marks' Evil or Very Mad
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: loss in oil pressure. Thu, 02 September 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 23:00

youd think a thinner oil would have a lower pressure right?

maybe i should go back to gulf western. only costs me $4 a bottle too hahaha.

Which GW oil are you using thats that cheap?
Also GW has shares in the pioneer oil rig up in the gulf so their cost price on oil is cheaper than most other companies and this is why their oil is a bit cheaper than others in "most" cases.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: loss in oil pressure. Thu, 02 September 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its cheap cause we buy it in bulk. its actually pretty good oil from what i can tell.

and yeah i have T'd it from the sender. i know the stock gauge isnt especially good but atleast its a guide. its the sudden drop thats got me concerned. i dont think its the gauge otherwise both readings would have dropped but its only the pressure at revs that has dropped.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: loss in oil pressure. Thu, 02 September 2004 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did the oil pressure drop after you put in T-peice in? If the pressure dropped after you put the T in then like mrshin said, you'll find that the turbo would most likely be bleeding some of the pressure.
Has the car been using oil? You could even have a leak.
Something from outside the square. There could even be a wire connection fault. Corrosion on a connector leading to a high resistance which means the guage shows a lower reading. But like i said "outside the square"
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: loss in oil pressure. Fri, 03 September 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i find this can change with a fresh lot of oil. try dropping your current oil and putting exactly the same new stuff in, with a new filter. fill the filter beforehand, and always crank without spark until your oil pressure light goes off

if it stays the same, then that's the pressure that this oil operates at, through different viscosity characteristics in your pump and oil galleries, than the last oil you had. if it changes back to the mark you had before, then i'd say your oil was chopped out and needed a change. do these motors have a filter bypass as well? your filter could have stopped filtering as effectively and not be filtering at its full capacity, effecting the oil pressure reading

just because two oils have the same viscosity rating doesn't mean they lubricate exactly the same
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: loss in oil pressure. Sat, 04 September 2004 01:39 Go to previous message
yeah fresh oil and filter. i think most if not all engines have oil bypass for when the get blocked.
either way ill just put it down to the oil for now and just deal with it. i know allt he connections are good and theres no leaks.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGZE HEAD GASKET
Next Topic:removing fwd 4age oil filter
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 13:45:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058081150054932 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.