Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Engine vibrations - rebuild started

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Tue, 17 August 2004 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oldcorollas - mate sounds like an interesting test. Do you reckon a microphone would pick it up though , its not really a noise? Willing it give anything a go though Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Tue, 17 August 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a vibration once in my st162 right after i changed the gearbox. just got under the car and started banging things. your problem sounds a whole lot more complicated tho.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Wed, 18 August 2004 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure that the uni joints are in good working order?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Wed, 18 August 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah original was thinking uni's but it happens when the car is stationery, which I think rules out driveline stuff.

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Wed, 18 August 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldCorollas - I recorded the engine sound in Goldwave.

Kinda unsure what to do with it now though??

Its like a sound graph kinda, and like from idle up to 3500rpm or so there isn't a lot of difference, lots up little ups and downs but overall its quite level. Then around 3500 + it increases a lot and then stays level, then when you back off and hold it at a rpm it dies back down.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Wed, 18 August 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe... if you put a mic against the floor perhaps, or anywhere you can feel the vibration..

if it is at crank speed, and you rev motor to 3600rpm, thats 60rps, so 60Hz, which should be within the range of a mike...

dunno, is worth a go perhaps Very Happy 'specially if no other answers are forthcoming...

Cya, Stewart

[Updated on: Wed, 18 August 2004 11:39]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Wed, 18 August 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate what would 5000rpm be? As in my sound file I know exactly where that is.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Wed, 18 August 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what if you spread the x-axis so it has very small graduations?

for 60Hz one cycle is 16 milliseconds.

the mic might be averaging too much perhaps?
maybe a piezo sensor might work better? like a wide range knock sensor?

then again, maybe a 'scope with a piezo sensor is even better.. i have some knock sensors, but no scope..

Cya, Stewart

ps, can you email me a section? like 1 or 2 meg?

[Updated on: Wed, 18 August 2004 11:38]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Wed, 18 August 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh heh, i have message lag Wink

5000rpm

5000/60 = 83.3 revs per second (hmm i farked up previously, i'll edit it)

= 83.3Hz
= 12ms per revolution.

thats 6ms per ignition event, and 24ms per engine cycle.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Wed, 18 August 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a picture of the sound file

I've highlighted when the vibration starts up to 5000rpm where its held for awhile.

http://img24.exs.cx/img24/9704/3tenginenoise.jpg
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Wed, 18 August 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
an you expand the time scale so you are seeing say... 1 second only? or maybe half a second?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Wed, 18 August 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I exported it to an mp3 file 1mb, can I email that to you? if so, whats your e-mail addy?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Wed, 18 August 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas@yahoo.com Very Happy
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Wed, 18 August 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Emailed Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Wed, 18 August 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm, i dunno if i'm doing ti right, but with 100Hz lowpass filter, i get:
http://www.materials.unsw.edu.au/~sford/joel1.jpg

the time of one wavelength is approx 0.011, so thats around 90Hz, or 5400rpm... could be 500rpm out tho...

as for finding the vibration.... any ideas anyone? we can run a bandpass filter to look for specific frequencies?

or high or lowpass? or noise reduction??

Joel, any idea if the vibration sounds at engine speed? or less or more?

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations, narrowed it down. Thu, 19 August 2004 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm this is all very unknown teritory for me Confused

I can't really tell if its at engine speed or not, the vibration gets more harsh as the RPM goes up though. Like around 3500rpm you can hold your hand on the plenum but at around 5000rpm it'd be hurting your hand to keep it there.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Tue, 07 September 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Howdy, well the rebuild has started! I pulled the engine out last night and started to strip it down tonight.

So far i've only got the manifolds off and the sump. There was small bits of metal stuck to the oil pickup. I undid the conrod bearings but they all look ok. Maybe it's come from a big end.

Anyhow will find more soon I hope ..

Cheers
Joel
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Tue, 07 September 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.optusnet.com.au/helenfitz/stuff/oilfilter.JPG

[Updated on: Tue, 07 September 2004 12:28]

YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Tue, 07 September 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have hammered a big end then you will need to check the crank pin for ovality and the conrond big end (they will usually be duck egged from the pin hammering at the inside).

Good luck
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Wed, 08 September 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I finished stripping the engine down tonight.

All bearings look fine. Not sure what else to check really. I cannot see anything visably wrong.. But suppose you might not see a bend in a rod etc.

One thing that I'm not sure if its normal or not but the shaft that runs the 2 gears on it to link up the upper and lower timing chain. Well once the gears were off you can move it in and out 5mm or so. Maybe this is normal though? But if not then suppose its possible the lower chain was moving in and out slightly.

Anything else I should be checking now its all apart? Or just drop bits into Graham Wilkins to check out?

Cheers
Joel
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Wed, 08 September 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ide give the crank a spin and check for radial run out with a dial gauge! bent crank could be causing that?
if the 3tgte has a dummy cam same as my 3tg...the shaft ur talking about, mine moved in and out pretty freely without the plate on the front that bolts to the block but i think with the plate bolted tight and no cam gears it was tight in there.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 September 2004 11:55]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Wed, 08 September 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm thats interesting that your dummy cam thing didn't move in/out.

With the plate on mine it moves. Cant remember first time when I built the engine if this happened or not. Wasn't really looking for problems back then.

I reckon that moving in and out and moving the timing chain around could cause vibrations.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Wed, 08 September 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HMMMMM

if it shakes the hole engine, and even the car, its gotta be mroe than a dummy cam slapping around a little!
ide put all my money (negative $220 and a cam chain tensioner)
on saying its crank related
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Wed, 08 September 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think something is trying to tell ya get rid of 3t and finish 3s
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Wed, 08 September 2004 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate a movement of 5mm is HEAPS! movement of any component in the block shouldnt even reach 1mm. the crank from most forwards position to most rear position shouldnt go over .8mm (estimate) and then when car is at normal op temp there is no real movement.

wow 5mm is really alot there mate, when you say dummy gear your talking bout dizzy gear right?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Thu, 09 September 2004 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think its what the dizzy in a 3TC would run off.. Where with 3tgte it runs off the cam gear.

So in the block there is a shaft that does run a blanked out gear that yeah probably for dizzy. On the front is 2 gears for the upper and lower timing chain.

When I took the gears off you could move it around heaps. There is a plate at the front of it to hold it into the block, but it doesn't stop it moving. I am wondering if there is meant to be some clip to help hold it.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Thu, 09 September 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually from the 3TGT repair manual that gear should run the internal oil pump. from the manual that gear has a chain running to the crank, controlled by an oil tensioner. the other cahin runs to the cams controlled by the external tensioner. and runs the oil pump.

well thts what i can gather from not being able to read japanese! Rolling Eyes its like a picture book to me Laughing

now if that is the gear you are referring to then a play of 5mm is a no no from what i know bout mechanics, but cause i cant read the book i cant tell what the play threshold is.

let me know if that is the correct shaft your talking bout?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Thu, 09 September 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thats the right one mate. Though i've been told from a reliable source that the movement is normal, but when you put the cogs on the front that stops any movement.

I'm dropping crank, rods, pistons into Grahams this saturday.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Fri, 10 September 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now that i think about it, once the plate is on it holds the cam in the block (stops it coming out, but nothings stopping it from pushing in, until the cogs are on!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Fri, 01 October 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Finally found the problem! There was a bent rod. I'm actually pretty happy about this which might sound odd.. But at least I know the problem and now can fix it.

Now on the hunt for some 3tgte rods....
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Fri, 01 October 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good stuff, good to hearwas something small too... hey joel try ROD, i think he has but not too sure. iv been getting some motor parts off him so try there first
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine vibrations - rebuild started Fri, 01 October 2004 02:47 Go to previous message
Yeah i've sent Rod off an email ..

There is some guy selling some 3tgte bits including rods/pistons in QLD in the for sale section. I've expressed some interest in just the rods so hopefully he'll get back to me.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Nitrous Oxide and 18R-G
Next Topic:7M-GTE emissions set up
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 16:24:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073409080505371 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.